Receiver with pre outs or preamp

Options

Comments

• Realistic
    Options
    Ok guys she's up and running, but the laptop is another story. I took a pic of her in all her beautiful glow I will post it once the laptop is cooperating. It appears that I can't hook up my beloved audio control equalizer, that kinda sucks because I really like the light show and the rumble reducer works very well for my TT. If any of you know of a way to hook it up please advise. Yes I am a very happy man.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hook up the EQ between the preamp and the amplifier.

So:

P5 preouts > EQ in
    EQ out > amplifier

Try without for a while too though.

Also, of course, the volume dial on the P5 will have an affect on the "lights" this way.

The only other way to do it would be to EQ a single source, so between your TT and the P5.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Realistic
    Options
    Thanks nightfall, its pretty cool you have stuck around from the start with me buying my amp and preamp. Very much appreciated.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    OK I am freaking out now!
  • Realistic
    Options
    I knew it would happen, this is the most relaxed I have been in 2 weeks. Its a big deal man, she sure is sweet and it was worth the wait and I am happy I got the silver the lights look great against it. I will tell ya what these guys told me RELAX! Lol
  • afterburnt
    Options
    What have you hooked it up to?
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Congrats and enjoy!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I can hardly wait for mine to get here and then I can't think of other ways to use it in the systems that I don't have yet lol. Skip is gonna fix me up with all kinds of exotic stuff that I can't afford and I will buy anyway.
  • Realistic
    Options
    Thanks cfrizz I am enjoying it very much, been on for roughly five hrs now. Afterburnt I have a pioneer TT, sony cd player and my Ipod. I am very low budget see pics I have posted they tell the tail but I am trying to get better stuff. Bob.
  • Realistic
    Options
    I took a few new pics but they are not making it from my phone to the laptop I will ask my daughter to help me tomorrow.
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,528
    Options
    Realistic wrote: »
    Afterburnt I have a pioneer TT, sony cd player and my Ipod. I am very low budget see pics I have posted they tell the tail but I am trying to get better stuff. Bob.

Doesn't matter what equipment you have as long as your enjoying it. gjfjmj5gi1ob.gif

lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    ^^^^^^ Sage words from the P-man. Just enjoy what the musicians have presented you. Equipment is just a conduit to bring it to you.
    Keep on trucking Bob!
  • afterburnt
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Wondering how he likes the the phono stage. among other things. Anticipation...
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    For me the phono pre is where Parasound cut corners. Not that it is bad, just that the P5 in every other way far better than the phono pre.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Realistic
    Options
    I am enjoying it very much. Fired it all back up at 8am, have to change the oil and filter for my daughter and then back to the music. I haven't tried out the phono yet but I will today. Just keep in mind that I am going from a receiver that was almost 40 yrs old to this and that I am no audiophile. I just love great sounding music.
  • Realistic
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys I really enjoy talking with all of you.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    Realistic wrote: »
    Thanks a lot guys I really enjoy talking with all of you.

Betcha your wallet doesn't feel the same way, enjoy pal.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    You are no audiophile?...well you are now. Welcome to the club...congrats and enjoy!
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Realistic
    Options
    That is true Tony but I am glad I made the jump. Jeremy thanks for the welcome this is a great place, I have learned a lot in a short period of time thanks to this forum and the people in it.
  • Realistic
    Options
    I am diving back into the manual,I am confused on how to use the pre to turn on and turn of my amp? I am sure its simple enough to you guys but I have never owned such a beast. I don't want to damage anything. By the way I am glad to have the 1500 back in action I really missed the power.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited February 2016
    Options
    First off do you have an operating manual for the 1500? You can cut the end off one of the trigger wires that came with the P5. You will need to determine which is positive and which negative. I believe the tip of the jack plug is positive and the shaft negative. Hopefully someone else will chime in and verify. Then plug from the P5 12v out to the 12v in screw terminals on the 1500. I think the 1500 on /off switch has to be in the off position for the auto to work.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/169783/12v-trigger-cable-for-a-parasound
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Why not keep it simple and just leave the amp on all the time.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Why not keep it simple and just leave the amp on all the time.

....or just push the power button. lol.

Motorhead hit it for you, and those trigger plugs are widely available so don't fret if you somehow destroy one. You won't hurt anything either btw.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Unless I am going to be away from home for more than 12 or so hours, a double shift at work, I leave my gear on 24/7. The only exception is my preamp gets shut off to preserve the life of the tubes.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Realistic
    Options
    I have some Ted Nugent playing on the TT now. I always shut the amp off by the big switch on the front of the amp, lower left corner. I think that puts it in a stand by mode? I use the button on the front of the pre also, this puts it in stand by also I think?
  • Realistic
    Options
    Nightfall I did not hook up the equalizer I think I have it sold, I hope. I don't think it needs to be there, I never really used it as a eq I just really dug the light show. I want to keep it simple and clean for the best possible sound I can get from the stuff I have. I also opted out of the trigger deal, once the old credit card is paid off I will be getting a power conditioner/surge protector. If the eq sells I am going to get a better rack for my stuff.
  • Realistic
    Options
    I have my cd player hooked into analog and my blue tooth box for my Ipod hooked up via toslink, I have no coax on the back of my cd player but it does have toslink, is it just higher end cd players that have the single rca in the back? I would like to keep the Ipod running threw the dac, but I also want to run a cd player threw it also that is one of the reasons for the purchase. Please advise, I am sure these questions are mind numbing to you guys but I really need to lean on you guys for help and with your help I am able to make better decisions. Thanks again. Bob. PS, does anyone else get a little chubby looking at the illuminated red P on the pre? LOL. I love this thing.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    First you have to decide if the DAC in the CDP is better than in the P5
    In most cases I'd rather use the CDP DAC than toslink
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Realistic
    Options
    Hi txcoastal nice to hear from you. My cd player does not have a dac, its a old sony cdp-xe500 it was my grandfathers. The pre has a hook up for what looks like a single rca cable that I would assume runs from the cd player then it would run threw the dac in the p5. I will have to upgrade cd player to take advantage of the p5s dac because mine does not offer this as a option. If I purchase a new cd player with built in dac would I run this threw the dac in the p5 also or hook the new cd player to a analog connection in the p5? Man I kinda feel like a idiot with the questions, and I do apologize if they are obvious but they are not to me. Bob.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Your sony cdp-xe500 DA converter chips are:
    CXD8567AM - CXD2545Q

You would use the line out from the CDP to source of P5
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a