A Real SL 2000 Hack. Replace stock (burnt voice coils) with "silk diaphragm dome ".

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    I believe a worthwhile mod to the factory SL2K's would be copying the RDO's diaphragm gasket...
    It feels like coated paper...
    1.625" OD
    1.30" ID
    0.08" thick

033emwuitlth.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    In case I've missed it, what is the cost of these for 198's
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited September 2020
    About $560 each
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • xschop
    I'm not selling speaker wire Audioluvr....
    I have not posted a for sale thread yet as my last two batches were bought out. That and I wanted to get the SL2K version designed and it is now a go. They'll be priced at $45 ea with your choice of RDO or SL-2000. 100% bolt-on
    I am staring another run this weekend. Just PM with your needs and I will order material accordingly.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Thank you. I have more pressing needs first. I'll hit up up later.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited September 2020
    Here's my attempt at filling the grooves and making a 45* angle coming off of the dome. I used some serious BLACK caulking that washes up with really warm water.

I did them all. What the heck. The first one looked good so I kept going. Then when I was done, I didn't quite like some of them where the dome sits in but they were close to smooth. When I went to wash my fingers, the caulking seem to melt. Dissolve. It took some work though. So my brain says, bring those plates in here and wet a finger and smooth everything over quickly with a damp finger.

So I did and it was like a step in an instruction manual. It took the caulk to a higher level of smoothness.

Here they are now. I'm going to wait till tomorrow to pull the tape and see what they look like.

First application... :D:s. The caulk had started to exit the tube and I thought...put it on there and put the excess elsewhere. :D
    0mioea8zu0gi.png

mime2k5dlwwa.png

Remember...this is some heavy duty caulk! Also, there seemed to be some darn little chunks in this caulk. I've never seen these chunky bits in any other caulk before! I dealt with it though. I JUST went and looked on the web about this caulk and ANOTHER guy said his caulk was like cottage cheese. So there's a problem with the emulsion process sometimes. :# I also read it takes 7 to 10 days to harden. WTH? I wonder about my second coat idea now!

qzdx2tk1a8h1.png

7var2phcniwr.png

2ze3qhwtjqzz.png

2knx3jovmkj2.png

Here's the wet smoothing results after about 2 hrs. of drying. This darn caulk has shrunk! I'll need to do a second application tomorrow. I hope this caulk will adhere to itself.

f15y6qolsq81.png

b6mea7c6yzvl.png

I'm going back to look at these again. It looks like the 45* is a 22 1/2*. :#:D

Yup, another layer is needed. This stuff shrunk too much. I didn't use much warm water at all to smooth the surfaces. I think this stuff just shrinks in volume.

BONDO!! would've been better for sure. ;)

I could still tape like I did. Then sand the Bondo and paint before I pull the tape? maybe.
    Post edited by Tony M on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    5ut4091my7ts.jpg
    Check out my bad **** headphone jack plug. And no, this has nothing to do with the thread. It was a request from he knows who. Badass man badass...
  • xschop
    When Kenwood was quality.
  • xschop
    edited September 2020
    The Fusion plastic paints will chemically bond to the Bondo and the plastic faceplates. Once dried it won't scratch off very easily like an enamel paint would.
  • Tony M
    I put a second layer of caulk on the face-plates before dinner. After a couple of hours, they looked pretty good and felt solid.

Being an impatient person most of the time, I peeled away the tape. :#:p

The dome openings turned out like I wanted them to. The lead wire slots...not so much. This caulking didn't stick to some grooves and one face=plate it did.

I would not use this caulk again. You can see in some pics. that the caulk didn't adhere at the top edges. I could probably pull the donut of caulking away cleanly. But I'm not going to do it UNLESS the next time I look at these in the future and see dislodged areas.

Here's some pics.;

Before...after one spreading;
    nbo433jmcv9d.png

Then after the second;
    l3mljbaxx2sf.png

pj7ni4x65bzi.png

4812dcllap9c.png

p3cjimebrrpb.png

kh3i3rgs0hv2.png

5boojekz2frw.png

1ixjyc0hrv1e.png

@xschop, did you Bondo over the Polk engravings on your face-plates?

I used Durham's "Rock Hard Water Putty" on those AR4x's wood speaker opening flanges to great success.
    I wonder if it would stick to these plastic face-plates?
    I have a lot of it left over.

aqbzgnz0mxdr.png

• xschop
    edited September 2020
    No, I simply used an old credit card to carefully wipe in the freshly mixed Bondo resin into the wire channels. I used 320 grit carefully, and blended it to the edges. It does work nicely if you take your time.

Too add, I think thats the same product I used to re-form the area on my shop speakers I built. It may very well be the same vinyl compound as bondo.
  • Tony M
    :o ..I forgot to show the sanded putty on those AR's before I painted the faces.

It really sanded almost as smooth as glass too.
    I can see a Bondo like connection. I've seen Bondo on cars and this Durham's stuff does seem to look just like it.

yr8yyb97mh47.png

wyyv1ed2f27e.png

• VSAT88
    Whoooooo ! Bondo and Black Paint !!
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Why, why, why does Vanilla prevent us from unsubscribing to individual threads?
  • xschop
    Schurkey wrote: »

GLWT, You're locked into the matrix.
  • VSAT88
    There is no vanilla. Only a red or blue.....
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Schurkey wrote: »

Because Vanilla SUKS. It is the worst software ever written in the history of the universe. No other planet has software this bad. It is abysmal, terrible, obscene, and utterly pathetic. Other than that, it is okay.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • xschop
    Thought you were talking about Windows.
  • Tony M
    The silk domes arrived today. :p Not bad... ;)
    2 days earlier than the earliest estimated date.

Quote from myself earlier; "I just saw in an email they sent, shipping will be BETWEEN Sept. 24th and Oct. 20th".

They were packed BOMB proof too.

Like I was hoping, these are the tight wires in their grooves plates. For what it's worth...these also have better dome protection cases.
  • VSAT88
    Tony, post a link to the diaphragms ? Thanks.
  • xschop
    Thats good news.Mine showed up a few days ago. Just opened one to inspect. These are a definite go on SL2K-V2's as no O-rings would be needed. They seem to be coated as well as tight-weave.
  • Tony M
    edited September 2020
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    Tony, post a link to the diaphragms ? Thanks.

This seller has different quantity packages to choose from. I bought a 16 pack this time. I bought an 8 pack the first time.
    This is the seller I bought from;

The package said Indiana but it probably had to come from China first.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pcs-of-25-4-25-5mm-1-silk-diaphragm-dome-Tweeters-horn-Drive-voice-coil/122208873670?_trkparms=aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=227684&meid=eb6b7d556bee400695327aa9b5425e90&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=12&mehot=sb&sd=122719536939&itm=122208873670&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bGenderDemotion&brand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

xmotowpnrc0o.png
  • VSAT88
    edited September 2020
    OK, I recall one of you guys posted about them before. I thought there was another that you had went with after these. I am correct to assume these are being used on the SL-2000 not the RD series... Or both ? Reason I ask is that I have two RD-0194's with bad voice coils and I wanted to buy the ones that you two had checked out and liked for the RD series.
  • Tony M
    Mine were for my old SL2000s. ;)

My RD-0194s are still ok. I've never had a problem with 8 or10 of them.

• VSAT88
    Had and amp that went into oscillation and took out four RD-0194's. Other than that I have never had trouble out of them except one or two that made a buzzing sound from time to time. Can't remember what I did on that one. Thanks Tony.
  • xschop
    These will make it easier to make a universal magnet top plate with the 2 different PCD mount holes (39 & 41mm) for all the Polk tweeter faceplates. Will be a fun future mod....

wlefggj2ophn.jpg
  • Tony M
    That's a nice fit there!

Those look like the new cases mine came in.

I looked my new ones over this morning and saw 2 that looked like the domes were glued on by hand. :# Kind-of messy looking on the outer part of the glued down rim of the dome.

I guess they'll work. I'll use the normal looking ones first and IF I live long enough... :D ...I'll use the abnormal looking ones then. That's a lot of old SL-2000s to come by. I have 10 sl-2000s I can do now that are still in some monitor speakers. Monitor 5 and below models.

Something to do on a cold weekend in the future. :p
  • xschop
    Pumpkin spice latte and a bottle of Aileens lol
  • Tony M
    edited September 2020
    Or target practice with my BB rifle. >:)

I could fill the dome with baby powder and tape it in. That would be fun.

Nah... :p ...I like the sound of Polks too much to not try and bring a tired SL-2000 back to life. I'll probably have these 6 extra sitting in a drawer in the back room for a while until somebody posts a Polk monitor set for sale and the price is low enough. :p
  • xschop
    edited October 2020
    Burnt Peerless pair arrived.
    Disassembled and took measurements.
    Magnet bolt C2Cs are 1.560"
    Magnet screws are M4 x 0.7
    Plate is same dimensions as SL1000 and non magnetic alloy. Scraped a corner and maybe can be polished same as SL1000.
    Verdict... These can be rebuilt with aftermarket silks just like the SL1000s...
    OR modded to accept and RD0194/8 or aftermarket diaphragm due to the flat faced magnet....

25zw6gffvgd3.jpg

w9ssj5hc9or3.jpg

Post edited by xschop on