A Real SL 2000 Hack. Replace stock (burnt voice coils) with "silk diaphragm dome ".

Options

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    I'll share my findings since this can be done with a common supplement. Back in my research days, Retinol or Retinoic acid has a very close molecular weight to dibutyl pthalate.

It's fat-soluable and importantly,
    It sticks to proteins too ( silk e.g.)

It indeed does clear up frequencies and transitions in these uncoated domes. Also I took them back out after a few hours and the tight weave silks didn't allow the compound to penetrate back into the back-sides. Not sure it matters if it does. Each dome took just a couple micrograms to coat.

The sound is excellent and indeed improved...
    Coated on left, uncoated right... Just brushed on with small artists brush evenly with no excess until perfect sheen achieved...

td2lf56i2z6j.jpg

2znbq4ozxbv6.jpg

Does this coating dry to a flexible film?

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I don't believe it will. It's been in 100 plus temps the last few days and it is still a light oily sheen. It is an anti-oxidant, so check back with me next year.

You can try the Dibutyl Pthalate from Sigma Aldrich. Their smallest bottle with probably do a few hundred domes.

It will polymerize to a rubbery plasticizer.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Tony M
    Options
    Thank you for that info. B)
  • xschop
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    Thank you for that info. B)

Thank you too for your info.
    On that one SL-2000 magnet that fell apart, could you Mic the ID of the magnet?
  • xschop
    Options
    I got the wider mount holes programmed and the wider diameter rear inset and depth programmed for the SL2Ks....

uxjv9niq7u0y.jpg

e2jucmg2nxho.jpg

• VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Looking good !
  • Tony M
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Here you go;

26.79mm

1.0545 inches

1jgwkrudf6gh.png

• xschop
    Options
    Ok thanks again. This matches the Version2 plates I have. If these SL2k/RDO's were ever to become obsolete, I've found a matching ceramic magnet and could machine the pole-piece and attachment plate as well.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    Tomy M, xschop, VSAT88

Interesting stuff from you THREE
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • xschop
    Options
    Tomy M, xschop, VSAT88

Interesting stuff from you THREE

You forgot WMG. He put in a lot of footwork and had some good results too.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Yep, westmassguy is a good one. He has helped me and many many others here on site as well. I will say that I definitely appreciate him and his incite. His ideas about the SDA 2b are copy and pasted in a word .doc right on my desktop.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    westmassguy, Tony M, xschop, VSAT88

Interesting stuff from you FOUR!

Sorry about that guys especially to Dave.

I would say Dave has helped more people on this site than anyone. He was the first person that I contacted and he helped me immediately.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • westmassguy
    Options
    westmassguy, Tony M, xschop, VSAT88

Interesting stuff from you FOUR!

Sorry about that guys especially to Dave.

I would say Dave has helped more people on this site than anyone. He was the first person that I contacted and he helped me immediately.

Appreciate the compliment, but there are many members here who forgot what I know, and have helped me in the background. Never underestimate the senior members.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    I think the alloy face plates look slick! nice job XSChop would love to see them with the Polk logo around the throat or really anywhere on them. To me that would bring it all together.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• xschop
    Options
    I think the alloy face plates look slick! nice job XSChop would love to see them with the Polk logo around the throat or really anywhere on them. To me that would bring it all together.

The end-user is welcome to do any extra curricular activity one chooses. One member will be anodizing them I hear. Laser-etching would be most economical method I believe, but sky's the limit.
  • Tony M
    Options
    I finally got the right length screws for these silks;

8-32...1/4". They seem to work.

I just thought of something. I'll take a new screw and screw it into that one magnet that I broke the glue bond on. I'll have to get an 1/8" thick something ( to take the place of the new silk diaphragms )and then place the bezel, 1/8" something and screw the new screws down as far as I can. If the length pushes the plate up from the magnet...I'll have to go shorter.

I do like the black screw color.

3zoqinz7bpdb.png

0dl8oqa10w9h.png
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Those bolts look great and the speaker looks original. That is great work !
  • Tony M
    edited September 2020
    Options
    All thanks and credit goes to the man who researched the size dome and its coil needed and found a source to buy some. I just followed his path.

A bit of modification to the new dome screw holes and face plate backs and drilling out the old clip rivets are the tedious parts.

One could leave the former lead wire grooves open but I still want to fill them in. I thought of taping on each side of the groove, caulking and then squeegeeing the excess off, leaving a nice smooth filled groove after removing the messy tape. also taping the opening of the dome hole and doing the same there. The face plate would be removed to do the circle opening. I think it would create that little horn flange attribute.

Too bad these replacement domes come from China.

These new domes do fit perfectly don't they. B)

I haven't done the extreme tightening of the screw length test yet.
    Maybe this week. :)

These 8-32 x 1/4" do tighten down pretty tight. But all it takes is ONE screw to break that bond of metal pole top plate from the magnet. I know... :s

• xschop
    Options
    Looks good. The countersunk screws don't work on the factory frames as you discovered.
    Before I tossed my old 5B sl2k plates, I ground the old Silicon out and filled them in with Bondo. After careful sanding and black Fusion plastic paint, they looked great. Was alot of work to still have that throat step though.
  • Tony M
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Bondo...that's probably the BEST way to fill these grooves. I have zero experience with Bondo in my many years of owning cars. :#

I don't want to sand and paint my bezels just yet. If I can get away with caulking just those areas I mentioned, I'll be ok with it.

Lowe's home improvement didn't have the screws I wanted or thought I wanted. I wanted something fast to secure those face-plates down. I hated the look of those countersink head screws sticking up and knew I had to get the right pan-heads.

I think I'll have 4 more sets to do later this year. I too just ordered some more diaphragms. They say "Due to arrive by Oct. 20th"... :s We'll see. ;)
  • Tony M
    Options
    Update; :)

I just saw in an email they sent, shipping will be BETWEEN Sept. 24th and Oct. 20th.

I missed the Sept. date somehow. like I said...we'll see.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Awesome work you are doing.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Tony M
    Options
    Thanks.

It's been fun. :)
  • xschop
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Update; :)

I just saw in an email they sent, shipping will be BETWEEN Sept. 24th and Oct. 20th.

I missed the Sept. date somehow. like I said...we'll see.

Same boat here. Luckily I have another extra set I can mod up from last batch.
    My stainless countersunk M4x0.7x8mm showed up. I will have to trim 1.5mm off threads for full seating and thread grip without "popping the top" as you warned about.
  • Tony M
    Options
    I've yet to test my 1/4" screw thread length on my bad magnet. :#

Darn squirrels! :D

• xschop
    edited September 2020
    Options

I ground these stainless socket heads down to 0.25" total length and they hit the spot....

40vn1rbmxdn0.jpg
    05ij7wuywrm3.jpg
    g4navh3dtav3.jpg
    56r6rk7ivfan.jpg

Post edited by xschop on
  • Tony M
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I like how those sit flush. B) Great job! I also like the SS screws. I could always order some knowing what I do now.

When I was in Lowe's the other day, I looked again for 1/4" anything and didn't see anything in 8-32.

So I must've really searched thoroughly before.

I DID measure ( with my new Caliper ) my screws' thread length which is 1/4" and then with it bottomed out on a magnet. I was setting up a face-plate taping session last night and thought, I CAN do the above and the remaining threads will give me the absolute MAXIMUM before disaster.

8oexhtrzbx7h.png

vawrdynuzq0f.png

So 1/4" - 3/32" leaves what? That's the thickness danger point cliff's edge.

I have to eat dinner right now...

1/16" for the new dome's plate.

I can't measure the Polk's face-plate thickness where it counts in all this. Well, maybe I can... :D

• Tony M
    Options
    So I think the Polk's flange needs to be a touch more than 1/16" thick or greater at the mounting area screw opening to be safe. 1/16" thick is too close! It MUST be thicker!

I'm going to re-read this thread and see if one of you mentioned how thick the plate is for these SL-2000s. ;)
  • Tony M
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Well, I didn't see the thickness mentioned anywhere but it sure was fun reading this thread over again. ;)

Here's what I did last night.

I taped over the wires just because. I'm going to tape the other 2 corners with a little square piece of tape too. So it will sit flush.

ku8kmy6sa09t.png

xht6qhvbjppr.png

64pgq85amvp0.png

v2fjoa6joz7e.png

7zlaofyxinyl.png

Putting caulking in the grooves and bezel has me a little trepid. Never done this before so we'll see how one turns out first.

• VSAT88
    Options
    xschop wrote: »

I ground these stainless socket heads down to 0.25" total length and they hit the spot....

40vn1rbmxdn0.jpg
    05ij7wuywrm3.jpg
    g4navh3dtav3.jpg
    56r6rk7ivfan.jpg

Everyone is going to want those brother. They look fantastic !