A Real SL 2000 Hack. Replace stock (burnt voice coils) with "silk diaphragm dome ".

Options

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    You should be able to order them through the Canadian distributor.

Eh.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    Ed Zachary
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dcmeigs
    dcmeigs Posts: 707
    Options
    Why not just use epoxy?
    The world is full of answers, some are right and some are wrong. - Neil Young
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    I looked at this quagmire and I think it can be done with some gouging out for the new tabs to fit behind the face-plate.

Oh, the screw opening on the new silk dome plate are JUST a bit too shy of letting all 4 screws fit. So the openings of the screw holes will have to be extended JUST a bit.

I think a DREMEL tool is needed.

The new dome's coil seems to fit perfectly though. The new tweeter plate fits behind the old flange's faceplate indentation very well too.

I don't know if the screws are going to be long enough since this new silk dome has it's own flange too. I'm doubtful but hopeful.

I'm SOOO glad this thread was reposted after so long. I tried real hard to find it this weekend because I just completed swapping out 2 domes.

I finally bought a small drill press off of Craig's list and set up a few jigs to do what need to be done. No Dremel tool was used but a Dremel BIT was used in the press to carve out plastic from Polk's bezel to allow the new dome's tabs to fit flat. I DID have to buy longer screws that screw into the magnet.

I'm going out to put them in some Monitor 5s now. I'll listen to the 5s first and then swap the tweeters.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Well right when I was getting ready to listen to my monitor 5 JR.s a lightning storm arrived! :s I had to wait for about 30 minutes or more BEFORE the first listening session could start. I unplugged everything in my cottage again except a little radio I use to listen to AM talk shows sometimes.

I couldn't move enough stuff today to get to my reg. Monitor 5s but I could see them just 3 ft. away. :D I quickly got to some 5 JR.s so I thought the JR.s would do for today. I played them about a year ago and loved how they sounded but I didn't do a critical listening session, just a few minutes of amazement at how great these sounded.

I went to Lowe's to get my screws and they didn't have exactly what I needed but these bugle-cap head do the job for now. I saw on-line any screw that anybody could ever need and maybe later, I'll order button head ones.

I still need to caulk the trough and old rivet holes & the space beside the dome to make a smooth shallow horn shape coming off the dome's edge.

But...the original tweeters sounded pretty darn good again. Powerful mids and highs that sounded in your face realism. BUT...I heard that distortion that some of these old SL2000 have now.

I listened to a CD of Classic Rock from the 70s. 11 great songs.
    It was listenable but I know what's better now. Songs with guitar distortion meant to be there was amplified! BAAAaaad.

I paid close attention to cymbal taps or hits. I paid attention to Santana's beautiful guitar work on "She's not There".

Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein".

A bunch more songs were very revealing in the high's range.

Well, I must say...the new diaphragms pass in my opinion. They kind-of sound like the RD-0194s to my ears. These sound laid back just a touch as is. But I turned the dial up around 3KHz and they sounded as well as the SL2000's did but with-out distortion.

The sound-field they put out was pretty good too.

All in all, not a waste of money or time. Here's some pics.

I'm still working on other things in my cottage so please ignore the mess.

d9r31wxesbxm.png
    1iwm2o747zxg.png

smaapun2mk6y.png
    3217qzvh6i8d.png
    xzw3rqhmocd1.png
    ojzotcll58al.png
    eow1kqxv21gm.png

I really had a fun time replacing those domes. A few steps to do it but after setting up jigs, it's a piece of cake. How long these new domes will last is another question to be answered down the road.

I had all 8 new dome flange holes extended first. 32 of them. Then I drilled out the rivets from the old connection pins. Finally, I carved out 2 of the Polk plate backs for those new tabs.
  • xschop
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Nice, another 5Jr fan. You can easily flute the port hole and remove any turbulence/noise there too I've found.
  • Tony M
    Options
    It AMAZES me how Mathew Polk and those around him could make one 6 1/2" speaker and tweeter put out this BIG sound.

I can see and 8" speaker and tweeter making this sound. I've heard a bunch of speakers and Polk's speakers ALWAYS puts a smile on my soul, especially the older SDA's and Monitors.

Heck, it was the Polk Monitor 10s sound with a Rotel 1030 ( I believe ) receiver that nudged me over the edge.

I had my ESS's but those Monitor 10s did bass just the way I like it a little better.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    With P.A. no longer offering replacement tweeters for the vintage speakers I think more and more people will be using these mods to get their speakers going again. Sure, there is a "right way and a wrong way" to do something. The " right way" to do this is use the RD-0194/0198 however what do we do once there are no more ? Simple, this mod. and not only that they do sound similar to the RD-0194's. Anyone who has heard them would say the same me thinks. And one more thing @Tony M It is a fun mod.
  • Tony M
    Options
    Yup...fun :p ...I'm looking forward to doing 6 more soon. B) I'm going to see if these are still for sale. China you know... :#

I did at least replace 10 SL-2000 tweeters with Polk's RD-0194s so I'm not abandoning the Polk replacement 194s, just fixing the ones I've replaced and saved.

I could've easily thrown these old tweeters away over the years but I thought they would be better than blown ones if I needed one. So maybe now, I can bring 8 old ones back to life.

Maybe Polk could've sold these diaphragms also. For the people who like to tinker.

Now to get my cross-over knowledge lessons going. :p I did just buy a set of 10 alligator clip ended wires for diagnostic purposes. :)
  • Tony M
    Options
    Yup, those diaphragms are still for sale.

One seller has what looks like rejects. The wire on one side isn't in its trough.

Another seller shows proper wire placements.

They're still the same price too.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    @Tony M Said " I did just buy a set of 10 alligator clip ended wires for diagnostic purposes. " That is crazy. I just got thru cussing myself out in the shop because I cannot find but two alligator clip ended wires in the drawers ! I am about to order some NOW !
  • VSAT88
    Options
    @Tony M, what is the website URL for the tweeter diaphragm's you ordered please.
  • VSAT88
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Check this out..
    https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/diaphragm-dome-tweeters-voice-coil.html

If I am not supposed to post links please excuse and let me know. I do not recall a rule that said not to..
  • xschop
    Options
    I agree, the aftermarket domes do sound very similar to 194's. Has anyone experimented or have experience using a doping compound on silks. From what I can tell, besides the lower DCR of the 198's, it looks like they're same build/diaphragm, but had treatment applied.
  • Tony M
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Wow, they have a ton of dome styles on that site!

It looks like the ones like I got will also come from some far away land. :) CHEAPER prices by far. The lead wires look loose in those picks though. The soldering area at the pins looks pretty skimpy too.

Like over a year ago, the recommended link was to eBay. Definitely a China based seller. I searched eBay last night and found 2 sellers. Different pictures of their domes.

I looked back at mine from a year ago and they are well made. tight wires sitting nicely in their grooves on their plate.

I almost ordered some more from this seller since their pics look pretty good pertaining to the lead wires placement in the grooves. But who knows what would arrive though since these sellers names don't match my previous purchase.

Notice how tight the lead wires look. The soldering at the pins looks ok too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pcs-of-25-4-25-5mm-1-silk-diaphragm-dome-Tweeters-horn-Drive-voice-coil/122208873670?_trkparms=aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20200520130048&meid=a92ef37474cc49b08cce6c64f8871995&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&mehot=co&sd=154048044868&itm=122208873670&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bDemotion&brand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

lero4ry7c8jf.png

• xschop
    Options
    Does it say what diameter across the plastic diaphragm is?
  • VSAT88
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    I agree, the aftermarket domes do sound very similar to 194's. Has anyone experimented or have experience using a doping compound on silks. From what I can tell, besides the lower DCR of the 198's, it looks like they're same build/diaphragm, but had treatment applied.

Done some doping but is was way in the past. Sorry, I just could not let that one slide past.
    The only speaker doping I have done was on a set of KLH 5's . Excellent speaker by the way. They came out great. Never any tweeters..
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    Wow, they have a ton of dome styles on that site!

It looks like the ones like I got will also come from some far away land. :) CHEAPER prices by far. The lead wires look loose in those picks though. The soldering area at the pins looks pretty skimpy too.

Like over a year ago, the recommended link was to eBay. Definitely a China based seller. I searched eBay last night and found 2 sellers. Different pictures of their domes.

I looked back at mine from a year ago and they are well made. tight wires sitting nicely in their grooves on their plate.

I almost ordered some more from this seller since their pics look pretty good pertaining to the lead wires placement in the grooves. But who knows what would arrive though since these sellers names don't match my previous purchase.

Notice how tight the lead wires look. The soldering at the pins looks ok too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pcs-of-25-4-25-5mm-1-silk-diaphragm-dome-Tweeters-horn-Drive-voice-coil/122208873670?_trkparms=aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20200520130048&meid=a92ef37474cc49b08cce6c64f8871995&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&mehot=co&sd=154048044868&itm=122208873670&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bDemotion&brand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

lero4ry7c8jf.png

Agreed. We all take a chance when ordering from different sellers and from so far away. Not needing a constant supply I just guess I will have to take my chances if I order more. I have had some really good luck at some of the tweeters I have done up and some complete flops...
  • Tony M
    edited August 2020
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Does it say what diameter across the plastic diaphragm is?

One site had some measurements. I'm going to look...

This seller has specs below eBay's other recommendations; I just noticed there is no reference picture with the letter showing what's what. There is a picture some where. I'll find it.

5rpb40p8ne8j.png

• xschop
    edited August 2020
    Options

Those are the ones I'd like to use in the SL2000 billet bezels as there would be no need for O-rings at the thru holes if the flat faced 2000s (pics 1st page) were used.

stioe50exf2e.jpg

• Tony M
    edited August 2020
    Options
    They almost seem to be made for SL2000 faceplates and magnets.

A bit of drilling and milling and buying longer screws is what's got to be done.

8/32 x 3/8 flat head cap screws work but aren't right since they by their design want to spread the hole out. I think tightening these too much will break the faceplate for sure. The threads are great but that's because some of the bugle head goes into the faceplates holes. I tightened them to where there was no play BUT I was waiting for that dreaded...SNAP...sound.

A button top screw that's 3/8" might have too long of a screw shaft.

I'm thinking 5/16" button top screw. :p
    Hex or Star bit top in black oxide might be what I need.

I'll find out sometime.

Wait a minute...I think someone already said what screw size and length he used.

Going to go thru this thread deeper.
  • xschop
    Options
    There were 2 versions of SL2000 magnets.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    That is some good info @xschop . When do you start selling the billet bezels ?
  • VSAT88
    Options
    I can clearly see the flat face vs the other now by paying attention to your post.
  • xschop
    Options
    Starting to work the details out.
    Tony M just helped decipher the enigma. He said
    Version 1 sl2000 were tapped 8-32. (Another Polk "use what ya got")
    Version 2 (ones I have with 8 protrusions) are tapped M4 x 0.7

The countersunk screw heads are also different... 8-32 are wider and heads are taller than the metrics.

Can you guys confirm one last caveat?
    Are the Version 1 SL2000 magnet bezel mounting plates 2.690" wide just like the pic I posted of Version 2?
  • Tony M
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I don't think I have a caliper. One tool I don't have. :#

But maybe I do...somewhere. :p

I just went thru the thread and saw your post about adding the new dome plate thickness to the original screws length. ;) I'm going to harbor freight and get a caliper. Maybe a digital one. Maybe Lowe's...

I just noticed the 2 different magnets used on these 5 JR.s while reading this thread over.

I can't imagine how hard it must be to just use a diaphragm by itself. I'm luck to have a bunch of these particular SL-2000 tweeters I just messed with.

I just noticed I posted the same picture twice. I thought I was posting each one. :s

Post edited by Tony M on
  • VSAT88
    Options
    I have a digital caliper but do not know if I have the tweeter to measure.
  • Tony M
    Options
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Holy Mackerel ! 35.00 FLAC that !
  • VSAT88
    Options
    BTW Tony, I am jealous. I see those SDA CRS's you got there. I have been looking high and low for a set....