A Real SL 2000 Hack. Replace stock (burnt voice coils) with "silk diaphragm dome ".

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,186
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Some manufacturers may have the poles opposite to that drawing above but the magnetic lines of flux always go from N to S. What matters is that the VC is wired up so that the positive terminal of the voice coil is defined as the one that when connected to +voltage pushes the voice coil forward.
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    F = I x B (vector algebra, right hand rule)

q1xhpjnhyvuc.jpg
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,702
    Options
    Where's the shifted magnet version?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • brokenwatch
    Options
    Hey, any current recommendations on the best voice coils to use?

I bought some, put one in yesterday and it was an absolute pig to align. Aligning the stock peerless coils I had before was no issue for me with various types of filtered white noise. The best I could get with these still led to rubbing as the harmonic distortion measurement was all over the place on my test afterwards, shame as it fixed the level issue I was having. Hoping some better quality coils may do the trick, it’s a jungle out there, so many to choose from!

Any other tips and tricks to reduce vibrations? I wondered if how the leads run off the coil into the channel contributed to this somehow. How much spare do you give inside. Also noticed there was a tiny spot of glue holding each wire in place at the edge of the plate opening that the coil passes through on the originals, guessing this would help prevent vibrations.

Thanks - D
  • xschop
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Which plates are you referring to?

Sl1000, 2000, 2500 or RDO?

About to Back-chamber and wool another set of RDO's...

ck380dwld1kt.jpg

• brokenwatch
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. SL1000 plates, I get the impression the original pierced dome was a bit lighter/thinner than the replacement, also the cylinder that the coil is wrapped around looks to be a tad longer, possibly thicker in comparison to the original.

Anyway, second attempt seemed to go better. Still a nightmare to align but this time I could at least position it in a place where there wasn’t a bunch of harmonics as you’d increased the volume, in fact after getting it in place a test showed it actually had slightly less overall THD than the original. Downside is the very top end from 10k up starts to tail off but only sits 3db below the original at the very upper end, which is far less noticeable compared to the 6-9db below it was at previously. Anyway, I was happy enough to silicone up the channels and call it a day, will give a proper listen tomorrow.

I only ordered 4, have used 2 so may go rogue and continue to rock the mismatched pair, love the sound of the working one so would be a shame to F it up.

What would be technique best practices when putting these suckers in. Glue amounts, positioning techniques, lead arrangement and routing. Those churning these things out must’ve hit your stride by now.

• xschop
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Got pics?

I just measured another teflon? ring RDO gasket that sits between dome and magnet to be 0.008" thick. If a thin material could be applied between the SL1000 plate and magnet top-plate, you'd eliminate/isolate any resonance eminating from there.

The trick is to get the coil length centered right between the top-plate thickness.
  • xschop
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Made some non-ferrous focus rings for the XS-8TL project and will be able to swap in fully modded Billet plate RD0198's and compare sonically...

ho8zss6xlurw.jpg

ajfa4jk4nxdz.jpg

62bgrc2xuq5z.jpg

• Gardenstater
    Options
    It's going down! You are fortunate you don't have to work with a Taig Micro Lathe 🤣
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Options
    The XS 6516's are up next.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Hey man how yall are in this old thread. I aint been able to check in much so I thought I would stop by and say hello. All is well just taking care of older members of the family. have fun.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    All is well just taking care of older members of the family...

Glad you're o.k.!

This weekend I started a debate with myself. I might buy some 194 for the 1C so I can do some A/B/C/D testing between the SL2000, Wuhan, Dayton, and 194.

So very pleased with everything I was able to do, because you and xschop laid the groundwork for inspiring me to experiment.

If I do get a set of 194, I might have to get our lathe'ing friend to do some mods...

The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Leave it to @xschop, he can dooo ittt!
  • xschop
    Options
    The only thing that can help a set of 194's are a set of billet plates and back-chambered Pole-pieces for the finer details. The plastic housings and the 194's don't have good chemistry.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Have to agree. Honestly I had just about rather keep the stock SL-2000's than RD-0194's. I find them dull. My ears have changed?
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    I just swapped out the Dayton experiments for 2 different versions of my Wuhans, and the Wuhans sound great.

[sigh]

I would like to get a pair of 194 to put through the paces. I'm really, really curious about them.

Or, I could finish the 5B...

[thinks]

Hell, maybe that's what I need to do w/ my Dad week after next.

I can run 4 Wuhan in the 1C as I had been, and put the Daytons in the 5B.

I just need the crossover bits.

Dagnabit, you guys! Thank you for helping me make a better decision right now =)
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • VSAT88
    Options
    If I had a set of 194's I would send em to you so you could check em out but I don't. I have relieved myself of those buggars and now run 198's or 2000's. I am listening to my DQ-10's more than my SDA speakers of late anyway.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    On the 194

I got the full set of 194. Did not like. Mostly.

On the 1C, without trying Daytons in all 4 spots, the best combo for our ears is Daytons with lamb's wool replacing the foam plug (a'la xschop's instruction) on top and a 194 on the bottom.

If I remember correctly, my version of the Wuhan (with the 3D-printed backwave dome) has a dip at 3k-4k in my room (so does the 2000, but the Wuhan's is more dramatic). I haven't measured the 194, but it seems to have more 'high' to it than the Wuhan, but not the harshness of the 2000, [b}only in the lower tweeter slot[/b]. Do not like the 194 in both slots, nor in the top slot.

I'm ordering 2 more Daytons to try them all around this week. I'll see how that sounds. My guess is, better than the 194 in the lower slot and Dayton on top.

In the 5(B), the it's Dayton, Wuhan, 2000/194, by order of preference.

Keep modding

Here's a little bit of a new tweeter breakdown (Gardenstater clued me in on this, and Jay's new vid talks about the designer).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pzdO6NBWqk&t=1247s

Pinkeye Backwave Dome variants for the win.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Not to derail (too late) but are Jay and Vienna Teng the same person lol??

g2g7zpdppt4f.jpg
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS