A Real SL 2000 Hack. Replace stock (burnt voice coils) with "silk diaphragm dome ".

Options

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    edited October 2020
    Options
    The two Peerless I received have the same hole burned in their domes, the same aluminum foil voice coil formers, the exact 0.100" thick faceplates (However, I believe these are true aluminum alloys due to them being lighter weight than the SL1000 plates.)
    Magnet thicknesses are same 0.60"
    Magnet left O.D. is 2.80"
    Magnet right O.D. is 2.85"
    And both have a tough dark brown adhesive between top plate, magnet, pole-poece.

Difference comes in the pole-piece on one has a base machined for large wrench/positioner.
    Also left one's top plate is treated zinc chromate, one on right is yellow chromate.

And the kicker is the magnet bolt holes have same PCD, but left one is tapped 8-32, one on right tapped M4x0.7 (Maybe USA vs Demark?)

ul34urzt4lq7.jpg

jte3am1dhsyz.jpg

260gis83g8b4.jpg

Further analysis of the alloy when I'm done chem-stripping

olcuhg6a1jf5.jpg

Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • xschop
    Options
    One coat and cleaned up one to see difference.
    From what I can see at their edges and a quick sanding, they're definitely true aluminum alloy (no tin) and forge cast... Worth rescuing...

ajhp699dq1i9.jpg
  • xschop
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Another bonus, the inset lip on these are only 0.040" thick, allowing more dome protrusion. There really is no need to go through the daunting task of installing loose wire-lead domes.
    The new full-circular Wuhan diaphragms fit perfect and take just a couple minutes to swap out...too simple

haf4nf64ann2.jpg

1/2" wide electrical tape over leads and you're done....

985bw5y7ku93.jpg

• xschop
    edited October 2020
    Options
    What's that, you don't trust the Wuhan Chimera-domes?.....RD0 diaphragms drop right in too. Didn't even have to widen the mount holes, if you want to use RDO magnets also.... The reason I feel the RD0s' mfg. were outsourced to Peerless...

iulrshyyixai.jpg

tpf6c7pxx6eb.jpg

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    Options
    So in the original Peerless, the surround is glued to the front surface of the tweeter mounting plate and in the FrankenPeerless (couldn't resist lol) it will be sandwiched in between the magnet assy and the back surface of the mounting plate, so silk dome/voice coil is inset about 0.100" (thickness of mounting plate) further inward?

How do you center the voice coil in the magnet in these tweeter rebuilds?

Nice work!
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Factory inset of very front faceplate is already 0.060", The Chimera-domes sit only 0.040" further back. Couldn't resist the chimera virus reference myself.

To center, just drop them over the pole piece and they pretty much center themselves. Just be careful torquing screws down in a criss-cross pattern. This same method has to be done if you glue loose wire silks in anyways.
  • xschop
    Options
    Since I'll be sending these off to Gstater to review in his Monitor 7s with Peerless, thought I'd drop in my last set of loose-wire silks. Should level the playing field so to speak by bringing the domes out the 0.040" to factory spots. I'm pretty sure the 2 layers of black paint and Aileens should insulate wires without having to file the inner edges like I did on the SL1000k silk rebuilds...

g4cs9z5ro3sp.jpg
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    If it doesn't then Gstater will be the first to know ! Very unlikely anything could be wrong with those tweeters. Ailleen is the best gal out there far as I have seen.
  • xschop
    edited October 2020
    Options
    And to be thorough... 7.0 and 7.3 ohm are their resistances.....

613qvvtk9p2c.jpg

Last but not least, these look to be evenly and quality coated/treated from factory.
  • VSAT88
    Options
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Watch for smoke up that way, Carver on the bench. 6iy9kpw3487i.jpg
    rgomphfsalst.jpg
  • xschop
    Options
    Where's that pic of the melted SDAs lol
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,558
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    The two Peerless I received have the same hole burned in their domes, the same aluminum foil voice coil formers, the exact 0.100" thick faceplates (However, I believe these are true aluminum alloys due to them being lighter weight than the SL1000 plates.)
    And both have a tough dark brown adhesive between top plate, magnet, pole-poece.

Difference comes in the pole-piece on one has a base machined for large wrench/positioner.
    Also left one's top plate is treated zinc chromate, one on right is yellow chromate.

And the kicker is the magnet bolt holes have same PCD, but left one is tapped 8-32, one on right tapped M4x0.7 (Maybe USA vs Demark?)

ul34urzt4lq7.jpg

jte3am1dhsyz.jpg

260gis83g8b4.jpg

olcuhg6a1jf5.jpg

I dont know that one was USA vs Denmark. I'm pretty sure both I sent you were 5514. Either way thats odd that they have a different bolt hole. I'm so happy to have been able to send these to YOU. YOU are really helping keep many great Polks playing. I hope you'll be able to stream line.

If i keep my RTA12B , I may want to have two more Peerless done by you.

I'm very interested in seeing what the review of the repaired Peerless produce.

If you want a second opinion, ill send you two more then install them in my recapped 12B and let everyone know. Then send them back to ya.
  • CH46E
    edited October 2020
    Options
    uvducm6r4nsi.jpg
    So that is what a 180 watt 16Khz test tone does to a voice coil?
  • CH46E
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Oh... i see, the non-truncated tweeter may have been a 7514 vs the 5514???
    I did not realize that when I sent them. qr8i6ppljwk2.jpg
  • VSAT88
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    uvducm6r4nsi.jpg
    So that is what a 180 watt 16Khz test tone does to a voice coil?

I will guess that may have been done when a B&K EX 442 went into oscillation..Just a guess, may well be wrong.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Where's that pic of the melted SDAs lol

You know to be very careful when working on an amplifier that requires that the dummy loads have bigger heat sinks than the amplifier itself. Yep.
  • CH46E
    edited October 2020
    Options
    If its one of the two I sent him it was the 16khz test tone. It was horrible! I think I woke the neighbors. :s
  • VSAT88
    Options
    LORDY ! We are all sending smoking tweeters !
  • xschop
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Maybe that's why polyswitches were later added.

• xschop
    Options
    Polyswitches.... When you need 200wpc from a 40wpc receiver.
  • xschop
    Options
    2nd step done. I used Cardas Quad and the leads were easy to reattach on the tiny area. The back mounts were junk, so I cut and added solder to the bowl shaped area. They will be easy to solder new leads now.
    Did a quick sound test through rebuilt 5B crossovers..... Sound really good to me....
    These officially experienced The Police's "Wrapped around your finger"... They hit the highs nicely and smoothly to boot.

p1ums7knzjgh.jpg
  • xschop
    Options
    Just realized I forgot to gently scrape the small glue residue off the frames before I boxed them. A universal fingernail tool works exceptionally well I've discovered.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Damn things look like new !
  • xschop
    Options
    These ones can be sanded and brushed with 320 grit to match the classic silver-face equipment too.
  • xschop
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »

ul34urzt4lq7.jpg

jte3am1dhsyz.jpg

260gis83g8b4.jpg

olcuhg6a1jf5.jpg

I dont know that one was USA vs Denmark. I'm pretty sure both I sent you were 5514. Either way thats odd that they have a different bolt hole. I'm so happy to have been able to send these to YOU. YOU are really helping keep many great Polks playing. I hope you'll be able to stream line.

If i keep my RTA12B , I may want to have two more Peerless done by you.

I'm very interested in seeing what the review of the repaired Peerless produce.

If you want a second opinion, ill send you two more then install them in my recapped 12B and let everyone know. Then send them back to ya.

If you send them, I'll need to find a forum member with a set of the loose wire silks with shiny coating.
  • VSAT88
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Got in four sets of new diaphragms today from mother china. Put the first one in an old RD 0194 body. Worked great. The second tweeter I did, another RD 0194 body no such luck. I have tried two of the new diaphragms and cannot get the coil aligned well enough. How are you cats aligning the new coils ? Pissed and tired. Gonna go watch Star Trek on Netflix (O.S.). Not that I don't already know what is gonna happen.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,696
    Options
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    Got in four sets of new diaphragms today.

How many girlfriends do you have? :o
  • CH46E
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    Got in four sets of new diaphragms today.

How many girlfriends do you have? :o

I just about spit my drinks out! Great timing bro.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Confusus says Man who likes stereo loves to boom boom.