A Real SL 2000 Hack. Replace stock (burnt voice coils) with "silk diaphragm dome ".

Options

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    edited October 2020
    Options
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    Got in four sets of new diaphragms today from mother china. Put the first one in an old RD 0194 body. Worked great. The second tweeter I did, another RD 0194 body no such luck. I have tried two of the new diaphragms and cannot get the coil aligned well enough. How are you cats aligning the new coils ? Pissed and tired. Gonna go watch Star Trek on Netflix (O.S.). Not that I don't already know what is gonna happen.

Look closely at how the diaphragm interfaces with the factory diaphragm seat right here. Just Dremel this embossment down and the Wuhan diaphragms will will drop in and then have movement for adjustment....

mj4gwh8vnwev.jpg

I was once a novice diaphragm Gasshopper too...

vq8vtw3umlo4.jpg

Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • xschop
    Options
    If you've gone to the next level young Grasshopper, be very mindful of the SL2000's larger OD magnet plate. It often touches the solder tabs, whereas the RD0s clear... Just remedy with a small piece of sticky electrical tape between the two...

ek9a6jpf8exy.jpg

1hkydli5dgcz.jpg

• VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Yep. All the above was did done done and still no luck. I suck as a grasshopper.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    In fact I am beginning to think that it may be the RD body that is the culprit. I have had three different ones in that body and not a one will center.
  • xschop
    Options
    I wouldn't doubt it. I have another set of SL2000s that just showed up, I dismantled and they are better built than the flimsy RDO frames for sure.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Finally got all four done. Got the one that kept giving me trouble done well enough to use in a shop speaker or for testing. All the others came out well. Grasshopper out.
    sqr3vueqgoci.png
  • xschop
    Options
    You have snatched the pebble.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    I want to catch the fly with the chopsticks though.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,557
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Well..... thats better than Caradine's other vices and habits! Stay away from hotel closets. Too soon?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited October 2020
    Options
    what happened to him there?

I remember he was stoned for most of the filming of that series. That's all I know.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »

I remember he was stoned for most of the filming of that series. That's all I know.

Google it.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Not excited
    ek9a6jpf8exy.jpg

Excited
    1hkydli5dgcz.jpg

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • xschop
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Don't be editing my post lol
    There's a few more mods to come on these Chimeratweets.

0n6dutkptfa7.jpg
  • Tony M
    edited October 2020
    Options

Google it.

Whoa...

I was working sun-up to sun-down when that happened. I missed the news during those years.

You almost never know what's going on with people's inner thoughts.
  • xschop
    Options

Google it.

Whoa...

I was working sun-up to sun-down when that happened. I missed the news during those years.

You almost never know what's going on with people's inner thoughts.

Sounds like Spicoli

9hsj57vyecx5.png
  • VSAT88
    Options
    This is starting to make me feel old. Wait, I am old. What about some Hee Haw , Dean Martin, Mary Tyler Moore, Mayberry RFD, Lawrence Welk, Gilligan's Island, and on and on right..
  • Tony M
    Options
    I am regularly reminded of my time on this globe when I click the info button to see when a particular movie /series I want to watch or am watching and see... It aired 50 years ago. Like Perry Mason. ;)
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    All the cool ship is old, like us!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • xschop
    Options
    You're not really old, unless your name is on the original sales receipt of your '74 Model 7 Polk's.
  • xschop
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Anyone know where we can get replacement felts? The "assembled in Mexico" plate on right has a dome- shaped felt that is hard to the touch , the one on left is circular and soft. I'm going to replace the felts when I drill and kerf the pole-pieces to vent to a rear chamber that I'll machine.

Now tearing this second set down I believe that the harder( maybe oxidized or compacted felt) indeed affects the sound. Previously I did notice a difference in the upper midranges when I swapped the exact same diaphragms from the RDO billet plates and magnets to the SL2K plates and magnets. The RDO felts were soft and supple whereas the SL2KS were hardened.

Not all SL2000 plastic plates come from same mold injection either. The one on right is 0.125" deep magnet inset vs .100 deep inset on left. Reason for extra shims I believe.
    The Mexico plates also have gold-plated terminals from factory as well.

9qx9nu7kafwl.jpg
    ejfxoq72tv1d.jpg
    czrzwcbwyf4a.jpg
    Post edited by xschop on
  • VSAT88
    edited October 2020
    Options
    My Dad has tuned and repaired pianos for the past 45 years. You can believe there are all sorts of felt in those. He has tons of felt old and new. What I would not know is if he has any that size or shape. I have seen him make correct sizes for different actions before by cutting and shaping with a Dremel tool. I am going out to visit him tomorrow and will ask him and see what I can find out. Cutting and shaping I do not think would not come out accurately and would be time consuming so perhaps there would be something in his Shaff piano parts ordering book that would be suitable. We will see.
  • xschop
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Your dad is a treasure trove of knowledge then, having as many years experience as most of us been on this rock.
    I measured 0.75" diameter by 0.20" thick.

The mod I'm going to be doing will be adding lamb's wool and a back chamber...
    And of course the pole-piece vent. Will set it up to see efficacy of drilling without having to remove top plate ( repositioning it not fun )

https://www.speakerdesign.net/tweeter_tweaks/lambs_wool_tests/tweeter_tweak_technique.html
    http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/C17_II.htm#Tweeter mods:

https://www.speakerdesign.net/tweeter_tweaks/pole_piece_felt/tweeter_tweak_ppf_725c003.html

• xschop
    Options
    Got magnet shift?....

Back to 0.0275" circumferal gap....

md8sn7t2ljtb.jpg

9vkd6kfmf2hw.jpg

• VSAT88
    Options
  • xschop
    Options
    The mill with an accurate vice is the only way I would ever attempt to mod the SL2K plastic to accept the aftermarket diaphragms... There is only @ 0.040-0.050" wall left when mill-slotting. A dremel would surely go errant and break thru the plastic....

cnog7i5ea1ql.jpg

wdo6cotm5nsh.jpg

• xschop
    Options
    On the the next mod....

l5hfxpsdzcs0.jpg
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    Quite a journey!!

What's next after SL 2000 hack and the magnet repair kit?

Maybe reproductions of Joe's Clamp?
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • xschop
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I'm lost on Joe's clamp?

How about XS rear vent chambers....
    Sneak peek at my design....

orqhjrty363m.jpg

I'm using a large angled spade bit so the rear chamber wall is angled. This should be better than a flat wall that could send waves back to the dome....

kvp3ahoeuxrn.jpg

Post edited by xschop on
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,586
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    You're not really old, unless your name is on the original sales receipt of your '74 Model 7 Polk's.

@mhardy6647 LOL
  • xschop
    edited October 2020
    Options
    No comment.... :D

2.65" ID fits the Sl2K pole pieces. I have a set of RD0 that will get this same treatment. I think they're same size....
    I accidentally dropped one, Nice thud and no ring....R&D dept approved....

9yhkapxgnkg9.jpg