Bi-Wiring, what exactly is it doing?

Options

Comments

• vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    Options
    I wish my wallet could follow my opinions.
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    edited June 2015
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I also find it funny that X has bought some Monster cables in the FM. All those lessor brands must be broke I guess. Ahh....but he only paid 20 bucks, and that's the crux of the matter right there. A lot of times peoples opinions follow their wallet.

Tony. I think you have hit the nail on the head. I have a feeling that some have wallets that cannot afford them the luxury of high quality cables. Therefore they don't know what they don't know because they have never been exposed to the better cables.

That's not to say that cables must cost big $$$'s to be great but you have to be open to spending the $$$'s to see the difference.

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Now, that's not to say there isn't any either, but I would also say that's certainly a minority. So all these highly educated people who build this stuff, must all be somehow compromised...crazy....idiots ? People with far more credentials than you ?

I will take this opportunity to plug Shunyata. :)

As an engineer, I appreciate the engineering, science, and patents behind Shunyata products. As a customer, I have discovered that their products have greatly improved the resolution of my system, with both current and previous gear.

The founder, Caelin Gabriel, seems to have a basic grasp of electronics.

“Within the audio-video industry, there is no engineer with a more complete understanding of the scientific tenets critical to signal isolation and current delivery. These unique work related experiences at the highest levels of government and computer science led Caelin Gabriel to develop a series of fundamental precepts for the patented technologies and custom-designed parts that form the cornerstone of Shunyata Research products.”

http://www.shunyata.com/about-shunyata/people

A list of manufacturers and others who are fooled by Shunyata snake-oil.

Audio Research Corporation
    Balanced Audio Technology
    Bel Canto Design
    Focal France
    Meridian-America
    VTL Audio
    Wilson Audio

http://www.shunyata.com/reviews-all/manufacturer-endorsements

Studios, etc. that use Shunyata products.
    http://www.shunyata.com/reviews-all/pro-users

When Kevin and ‘X-man’ start a successful company based on their ‘engineering’ then they might acquire some credibility.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    kevintomb wrote: »
    YET, at the same time.....

No one can pass a blind test and pick out their "Better cables"

I do not have a dog in the fight.

I am not looking to convince people to spend their money.

Incredibly bold statements considering our discussions via PM where I gave you the run down of my blind testing and now you are publicly dismissing it completely and claiming your tests are somehow more valid than mine.
    Seems that is throwing a big fat basset hound into the fight right there.

And no...you are insinuating that people are stupid for spending THEIR money.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • tratliff
    Options
    Kevin -

Just for sh*ts and giggles give us some insight into the cables that were used and also the equipment. I am certain that my statements would be proven true when that information is provided.

Help us understand your thoughts????? Don't just feed us techno babble. I can state specs all day. Real life scenarios work better.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Deleted - will try the quote thing again later...

Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • vmaxer
    Options
    YET, at the same time.....

No one can pass a blind test and pick out their "Better cables"

I do not have a dog in the fight.

I am willing to bet that I can pick between my MIT's and Audioquest Diamondback I/C cables every time on my system....

You in?? We can meet up and set the system up - you can switch all you want without my knowledge.

Make it a substantial amount so it isn't a waste of my time and we'll do it!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options

No, your looking to convince people to not spend their money.....on something you know nothing about yet. Is that not why you and a few others always jump on cable threads ? Just asking is all, you keep saying you have no dog in this fight yet you keep posting in it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tratliff
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »

I am willing to bet that I can pick between my MIT's and Audioquest Diamondback I/C cables every time on my system....

You in?? We can meet up and set the system up - you can switch all you want without my knowledge.

I'll take a piece of that bet. My money is on VMAXER.
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    Options
    You guys sure like to care about what others think a lot, don't you?
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • vmaxer
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »

I'll take a piece of that bet. My money is on VMAXER.

I really think either he has never had a good enough system to tell or just another troll.

There was a time I couldn't tell the difference, but as I have upgraded over the years it is almost unbelievable how much difference cables can make. I love the hobby (if that's a correct way to say it). I just wish I could afford the really high end.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • ukcolin99
    ukcolin99 Posts: 286
    Options
    10 pages of speaker cable exchanges has tweaked my interest. Crutchfield has many $ levels of AudioQuest cable, are they worthy, should I pick my price point and order?
    With my setup should I be able to tell the difference? Currently using C&E CNE62270 100-Feet 12AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire $40 from Amazon and Deadbolt Banana Plugs, 12-pair, By Sewell Direct $30? Anyone's 2 cents appreciated.
  • vmaxer
    edited June 2015
    Options
    cbridle wrote: »
    10 pages of speaker cable exchanges has tweaked my interest. Crutchfield has many $ levels of AudioQuest cable, are they worthy, should I pick my price point and order?
    With my setup should I be able to tell the difference? Currently using C&E CNE62270 100-Feet 12AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire $40 from Amazon and Deadbolt Banana Plugs, 12-pair, By Sewell Direct $30? Anyone's 2 cents appreciated.

I have no experience with those so I can't really say.

What equipment??
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • vmaxer
    Options

Just tired of the trolls, I am willing to bet on my actual experience, not what can be read on the net.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • tonyb
    Options
    Yep, 5 rounds of MIT cable demo's and everyone of them must be some sort of delusional, uneducated caveman....on LSD no less.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    Options
    Just finished my 2nd bag of popcorn.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    Just finished my 2nd bag of popcorn.

Only 2??

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited June 2015
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    Yep, 5 rounds of MIT cable demo's and everyone of them must be some sort of delusional, uneducated caveman....on LSD no less.
    This is my nomination for post of the year. :o

Perhaps, instead of following the usual pattern, you could address some of the questions brought up in this thread and the "sound quality and time of day" thread?

I think we could all potentially learn something if you would make the choice to do so?

What do you say?
    Post edited by headrott on
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • BlueFox
    Options
    LOL. Greg, you are an optimist. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    Options
    There was a time I couldn't tell the difference, but as I have upgraded over the years it is almost unbelievable how much difference cables can make. I love the hobby (if that's a correct way to say it). I just wish I could afford the really high end.

There have been lots of times (documented on this forum) when I sent a cable back because I didn't hear a difference or improvement, and had the opposite result when I revisited the same cable after an equipment upgrade.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    Options
    Just tired of the trolls, ...

If you starve them they will die.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • BlueFox
    Options
    I don't mind the trolls per se, but I have decided I am no longer going to be insulted by those clowns. Implying that people who can hear differences with cables are delusional, or weak minded, is crossing the line.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    LOL. Greg, you are an optimist. :)
    Keiko wrote: »
    Highly doubtful, Greg.

Just pointing out that rather than trying to follow the same behavioral pattern(s), it would be much more constructive to answer the questions asked in the two threads (opposed to trying to get them shut down with the motive of avoiding the questions).

Let's see if @xcapri79 and @kevintomb can do as much?

I do see your points however; believe me.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    And Bingo was his name!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Options

There have been lots of times (documented on this forum) when I sent a cable back because I didn't hear a difference or improvement, and had the opposite result when I revisited the same cable after an equipment upgrade.

Bingo.....again.

We've been saying this all along. Cables making a difference isn't as cut and dry as some want to make it out to be. Simply way too many variables.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who does a review like DK does, even from audio magazines who get paid to review stuff. Plus he backs it up with measurements/science.....which some say is always missing.

If you can/can't hear a difference on your system with your ears, doesn't mean someone else can/can't in theirs. If you can subscribe to that statement, then we can be done with silly cable threads like this.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ukcolin99
    Options
    [quote="What equipment??
    Yamaha RX-A3020, Polk: LSiM705's, LSiM706c, LSiM703's, TL2's, BIC America F12.
  • tonyb
    Options
    cbridle wrote: »
    [quote="What equipment??
    Yamaha RX-A3020, Polk: LSiM705's, LSiM706c, LSiM703's, TL2's, BIC America F12.

all depends on your budget, if your looking for something in the same price range, stay with what you have. Personally though, for surrounds and center, in HT applications, it's fine. Music though is another story and I might try another cable for the front left and right.

For cheap, Gregg Straley Reality cables offer a well balanced sound for not a lot of coin. Someone here just picked up a 6 ft pair for 75 bucks, so you don't need to break the bank to try new stuff.

Better...Mit shotgun S3 speaker cables. If you can't tell a difference with these cables, as an old forum member used to say....I'll eat my flat hat.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    Options

Just tired of the trolls, I am willing to bet on my actual experience, not what can be read on the net.

No, i get it. Part of why i took a hiatus from this site. "Good" to see that the eternal debate is still alive and well.

My original comment wasn't necessarily directed at you, btw. I hear a difference in cables (sometimes large... Ben's silver cables made my setup sound like it was broken), but i just don't care enough if any other people hear a difference to start the discussion. I'll engage, as you have, but if someone feels the need to post a 3 part novel on why swapping cables can't affect your personal enjoyment of your stereo, then they just get ignored, because how do they know?

I don't care if it's placebo effect.

If i enjoy the perceived differences that cables make in my setup, then it's scientifically disproven that i can hear a difference, does my increased enjoyment magically go away?

No.

Delicious snake oil is still delicious.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • ukcolin99
    Options
    Thanks tb I want to spend enough (on the fronts) that I am bound to hear a difference if I can't hear any difference, I can stop worrying about it. Thinking the MIT's are the way to go, would u still bi-wire MITs?
This discussion has been closed.