The LSi9...is it really that good?

Comments

• falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited March 2012
    cnh wrote: »
    Lots of strokes for all kinds of folks: some people love Cuban cigars, others spend on Napoleon brandy, Armani suits and Rolex watches. Some drop six figures on a sporty car, and others love their caviar.

Pricey cables, sure if you have the coin. But no one stops anyone from enjoying what they can afford to hear. And that's as it should be.

cnh

I like that. :wink:
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • brianle
    brianle Posts: 572
    edited March 2012
    I have the same experience with the LSi 9 as heiney9 had. The LSi 9 just gives a bit too much lower mid-bass in my room.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,325
    edited March 2012
    cnh wrote: »
    Pricey cables, sure if you have the coin. But no one stops anyone from enjoying what they can afford to hear. And that's as it should be.

Agreed, and I'm sure that basic philosophy is an everyday part of life.

What I don't understand is, after watching the promo video explaining the what the box does, why can't you have just one box at one price and achieve what the box is saying it can do and that's that.

I see that each step up box has more articulation poles. And, if I understand the purpose of box correctly, it's job is to bring the harmonic frequencies into perfect, or near perfect, harmonic timbre imaging balance as well as eliminating contaminates left in the line from a previous signal.

So, after hearing what a great thing the box is responsible for, I can get said box but behold, here's another more expensive box to do the same thing only better? But wait, you can still upgrade to an even more expensive box to achieve the same thing only better still? But wait...........

The box prices and specs range in price from 1,499 to 46,999. I just don't get this, if the box does such a wonderful thing harmonically, why doesn't it just do it and be done, why does it only do it so well for a certain price?
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited March 2012
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

What I don't understand is, after watching the promo video explaining the what the box does, why can't you have just one box at one price and achieve what the box is saying it can do and that's that.

I see that each step up box has more articulation poles. And, if I understand the purpose of box correctly, it's job is to bring the harmonic frequencies into perfect, or near perfect, harmonic timbre imaging balance as well as eliminating contaminates left in the line from a previous signal.

So, after hearing what a great thing the box is responsible for, I can get said box but behold, here's another more expensive box to do the same thing only better? But wait, you can still upgrade to an even more expensive box to achieve the same thing only better still? But wait...........

The box prices and specs range in price from 1,499 to 46,999. I just don't get this, if the box does such a wonderful thing harmonically, why doesn't it just do it and be done, why does it only do it so well for a certain price?

You obviously don't understand the contents of the box. That said, I'm sure the law of diminishing returns applies, but then there are better and better systems out there that can and do show differences even at the top end of the cable line.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited March 2012

Reread that..........if it's better then it's not exactly the same thing. It's something different. See, you answered your own question.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited March 2012
    heiney9 wrote: »
    See, you answered your own question.

I don't believe my question is answered. The box performs a service to the music through the cables. All the offered upgrades tells me the box doesn't get it right the first 7 times. If the box does such a service, why doesn't it get it done as efficiently as possible the first time around?

I can see the science involved, I can't see why it's not achieved in the first box.

Granted, I'm new to this technology, so my question seems valid. Again, not trying to tear it down, just hoping someone can explain what I'm not finding obvious to everyone else.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • heiney9
    edited March 2012
    Different levels of performance cost more. You are assuming each cable does the same thing, they don't; the cables that cost more do more even though it's the same basic concept. You need to do a lot more reading at the MIT site. The answers are there.

If you are concerned spend the $24,000 and get the top of the line and be done with it.

H9
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited March 2012
    The video on what's inside the box was 20 minutes long. What else is there to know. Why can't you get optimum performance with the first box?

• heiney9
    edited March 2012
    The video on what's inside the box was 20 minutes long. What else is there to know. Why can't you get optimum performance with the first box?

I don't work for MIT and I am not the engineer who developed the products. GO TO THE MIT site and start learning. A 20 minute video doesn't make YOU an expert. There is an entire white paper on what MIT cables are about and how/what they do.

Really, take the time to learn, which can take several years in this hobby or move on. There are no 10-20 minute answers.

H9
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited March 2012
    GO TO THE MIT site and start learning. A 20 minute video doesn't make YOU an expert. There is an entire white paper on what MIT cables are about and how/what they do.

Really, take the time to learn, which can take several years in this hobby or move on. There are no 10-20 minute answers.

H9

Are you getting rude with me? Your caps definitely show you're getting impatient with me. Take the time or move on? Wow dude, thanks a ton.

Implying that by my watching the video makes me think I'm an expert? If you had actually read my post, I admitted to being new here was looking for someone to help me understand, you obviously are not that person since you are yelling at me to do more research or move on.

Sorry to step on your toes and waste your precious time. And since you're so eager to yell at people with valid questions, maybe it's time for you to move on, but then again, maybe you just enjoy yourself too much.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,582
    edited March 2012
    Geoff:

If I understand it correctly the more articulation poles the fewer gaps in overall frequency response as the poles provide more overlap the more you have.

Its not to say you would notice a difference between a cable with 15 and one with 20, but you might notice a difference between one with 3 and one with 10.

I should be able to tell you in a few weeks as I will be going from EXp1's with 4 to MIT Shotguns that have a couple more :eek:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited March 2012
    Geoff:

If I understand it correctly the more articulation poles the fewer gaps in overall frequency response as the poles provide more overlap the more you have.

Its not to say you would notice a difference between a cable with 15 and one with 20, but you might notice a difference between one with 3 and one with 10.

I should be able to tell you in a few weeks as I will be going from EXp1's with 4 to MIT Shotguns that have a couple more :eek:

Wow, that was such a great explanation! Thanks brother. And to think another poster said it couldn't be done.

I'm interested to hear your review on your upgrade.

• PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited March 2012
    I found this interview with Bruce Bryson answered alot of questions regarding the tech MIT uses ...

http://www.mitcables.com/reference-library/us-reviews/dagogo2010brucebrissoninterview.html
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited March 2012
    each step up on the MIT line will help better your music however I wouldn't put their top of the line (which they weren't for the picture before the top of the line are the Orcale series which look very different) on a 1200 buck AVR.

Now if I had some Magico or YG top of the line and wanted to get the most out of everything I'm not going to stick a pair of monster SC or IC's into my system.

Personally if you want to find out there is a demo program on the forum that is run. Cost of shipping will get them to your door and you can try it in your own system.

Personally in HT I never notice a huge difference with cables. There was some but not as much as when I switched over and did more in my 2 channel. Granted my HT wasn't cheap but it was not nearly like my 2 channel is.

Each level helps improve on what was already done. To get more you pay more. A Geo isn't the same price as a BMW. They both have wheels and run, but when you go up the BMW will do things better than the Geo.

Personally I've had Signal, AQ, Nordost, Cardas and MIT. I like MIT the best and think they are great. Right now I'm going to switch everything to the Shotgun line. Its not the highest but its not the lowest and think it will give me the best bang for my buck for that set up.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,379
    edited March 2012

For the same reason one amp costs $500.00 and another $5,000. Both do the same thing, but one does it better than the other.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ravaneli
    ravaneli Posts: 530
    edited March 2012
    I have this feeling that if we could do a blind test to heyney9, with and without MIT cables, he would in the long run guess it right 50% of the time. As good as a coin. Just a feeling, not a fact, don't jump on me now.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I have found that tube based computers provide the best sound quality. ENIAC and MANIAC I offer a smooth, well defined and articulated sound unmatched by the current silicon based CPUs. :wink:
    But as in all things your perception is your reality.
  • heiney9
    edited March 2012
    Go ahead, I know I could pick the MIT's 100% of the time. They are that much better, night and day. Bring yourself and a few other pairs of cables to my crib and let's get to it. I know my rig and listening environment forwards, backwards, upside down and sideways. Not a problem at all.

H9
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited March 2012
    You really stepped in it there pal.:lol:
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,320
    edited March 2012
    ravaneli wrote: »
    I have this feeling that if we could do a blind test to heyney9, with and without MIT cables, he would in the long run guess it right 50% of the time. As good as a coin. Just a feeling, not a fact, don't jump on me now.
    Go ahead, I know I could pick the MIT's 100% of the time. They are that much better, night and day. Bring yourself and a few other pairs of cables to my crib and let's get to it. I know my rig and listening environment forwards, backwards, upside down and sideways. Not a problem at all.

H9
    Let's do it! I also suggest we get some good examples of MP3 encodings versus lossless as well. I have a feeling he won't be able to pick those out as well as he claims either. But hey, I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

Oh, and Brock, your attitude towards Geoff here is yet another shining example of your piss poor attitude as of late. If you don't want to help someone; there's no need to be rude and deliberately obtuse.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,379
    edited March 2012
    ravaneli wrote: »

So, what cables MIT cables have you tried? Oh that's right, none. Just the facts, not a feeling.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Geoff4rfc
    edited March 2012
    F1nut wrote: »
    For the same reason one amp costs $500.00 and another $5,000. Both do the same thing, but one does it better than the other.

Vague at best. I thought we were past the obvious comparisons. This answer offers zero specific accountability to the question, in fact it detracts. "one amp costs...., and another costs.....". There are countless amps of different make, power output, style, intended use, etc etc.

The box(s) in question is made by one company and serves one purpose.

Endershadow has been the only one here of offer an answer that can be digested with specific information pertaining to the specific question.

So I'm good with that.

• heiney9
    edited March 2012
    BeefJerky wrote: »
    Let's do it! I also suggest we get some good examples of MP3 encodings versus lossless as well. I have a feeling he won't be able to pick those out as well as he claims either. But hey, I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

Oh, and Brock, your attitude towards Geoff here is yet another shining example of your piss poor attitude as of late. If you don't want to help someone; there's no need to be rude and deliberately obtuse.

Beef, take a hike I don't need your attitude. Geoff is being deliberately obtuse or he is just an idiot. MIT are the people to explain to him the kind of details he's expecting us to give him. I kindly pointed him in that direction and it was ignored. Not to mention if he had taken the time to search for information on this forum, which has been her over 10 years most if not all parts of his question would be answered.

H9
  • heiney9
    edited March 2012
    Vague at best. I thought we were past the obvious comparisons. This answer offers zero specific accountability to the question, in fact it detracts. "one amp costs...., and another costs.....". There are countless amps of different make, power output, style, intended use, etc etc.

The box(s) in question is made by one company and serves one purpose.

Endershadow has been the only one here of offer an answer that can be digested with specific information pertaining to the specific question.

So I'm good with that.

Call Joe Abrams or MIT then you will get the specific answers you crave. At your current level of comprehension I doubt you'll understand any of the terminology or engineering behind the concepts and implementation. But knock yourself out.

H9
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,320
    edited March 2012
    Beef, take a hike I don't need your attitude.
    You're welcome to add me to your ignore list if you can't handle my posts.
    Geoff is being deliberately obtuse or he is just an idiot. MIT are the people to explain to him the kind of details he's expecting us to give him. I kindly pointed him in that direction and it was ignored. Not to mention if he had taken the time to search for information on this forum, which has been her over 10 years most if not all parts of his question would be answered.
    And yet, another very helpful member on this forum was able to help him. So, yes, it can be done, you just didn't want to bother. So again, if you don't want to help, then kindly avoid posting.

As for your poor attitude, I wasn't even the first one to point it out; there were at least two other respected members who noticed it. However, rather than make an effort to improve your attitude, you continue to act the same or worse. In fact, I don't believe you are even capable of admitting to the errors of your ways.
  • heiney9
    edited March 2012
    Sorry, but you can express whatever you want about my posting style, it's not changing just because you say it should. Talk about a God complex, if you are so bent out of shape, which you clearly are or you wouldn't be carrrying on in mutliple threads, about my posts.........then use the ignore feature as well.

H9
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited March 2012
    Geoff is being deliberately obtuse or he is just an idiot. MIT are the people to explain to him the kind of details he's expecting us to give him.

Umm, you yelled at me Mr kindly. I was hoping people with experience with this product would chime in, you obvious don't so why shoot your mouth off? Plus, you obviously don't have the answer so again, why waste yourself?
    At your current level of comprehension I doubt you'll understand any of the terminology or engineering behind the concepts and implementation. But knock yourself out.

I wish you would have let me know we went to school together. My level of comprehension may not be where you want it to be on the subject of MIT cables, but it does reveal that you wear your a** for a hat.

• pyrocyborg
    pyrocyborg Posts: 524
    edited March 2012
    Well... cables are a debate, and will always be, unless someone really does an experiment with a large number of participants, a few control groups (non-audiophile) and different experimental conditions (audiophile with crappy interconnect that were told that those were a certain brandname cable; audiophile group with brandname cable; etc). That way, some people could be set, but others will probably never be even if there is empirical evidence of a certain truth.

MP3, on the other side, are, depending on the bitrate, easy or harder to discernate. 320 lame might score 50/50 versus flac/cd, because there isn't a lot of flaws in there, but after listening a flac, there might be something you like better, even if you can't "point it out". Psychoacoustics effects like masking sure do a good job giving you the impression that you ear something, but on some tracks, it just doesn't make it right. Anyways, using almost every recent methods to compare both formats, there is some bias induced by memory (you can't adequately compare using a memory, even if it is a few minutes old... even a few seconds old makes it all different from what it really is).

Sure, you might need a revealing system to hear a difference between 320/flac, but my guess is both "feels" different one from another.
    Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 705, LSiM 703, LSiM 704c
    Receiver: Denon X3500H
  • heiney9
    edited March 2012
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2012
    pyrocyborg wrote: »
    Sure, you might need a revealing system to hear a difference between 320/flac, but my guess is both "feels" different one from another.

Guessing is fun, but experience counts.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ravaneli
    ravaneli Posts: 530
    edited March 2012
    placebo.
    Demand a blind test.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I have found that tube based computers provide the best sound quality. ENIAC and MANIAC I offer a smooth, well defined and articulated sound unmatched by the current silicon based CPUs. :wink:
    But as in all things your perception is your reality.
This discussion has been closed.