The LSi9...is it really that good?

Comments

• fossy
    fossy Posts: 1,378
    edited March 2012
    The LSi9...is it really that good?

not many speakers are made for as many years as the lsi's .. polk hit a home run.... I would love to hear new M series

How long were the Lsi series in production ??
  • fossy
    fossy Posts: 1,378
    edited March 2012
    lsi9's are my speakers for now ...... are they perfect ... no ... but they are a speaker that is electric & full of life if given the right signals ...they are so engulfing ... midrange & treble is so clear ....... bass is there but I use a sub to compliment the low end ..... my sub is at 1/4 of it's volume ......

if the 9's aren't doing it for ya ..... ya didn't have um set up right ... they perform well above thier price point
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited March 2012
    Here's a pic of em being fed properly !:lol:

4707229169_e83e1225db_b.jpg
  • mlebler
    mlebler Posts: 29
    edited March 2012
    I've already determined it was a mismatch with the amplification I was using...I can't wait to get them singing with the right power...my search continues...

Now on to the subject matter of amplification again, what would be so wrong with powering them with a pro DJ amp? I've always wondered why no one talks about pro amps for home use? And I'm talking about better brands like Crown for example. They seem to pump out gobs of power for much much less $$$. Obviously I assume home audio amps are more refined with better components, but I would love to hear peoples thoughts on pro amps used for home use...

...and btw, nice setup gdb....one day.........one day...
  • gdb
    edited March 2012
    Not mine...it was the set up at an audio show in Maryland. Pro gear, IMO (and many other's here) is harsh and unrefined power, which is less noticeable in a concert setting. I'll never have any, but, some folks seem to like it.:wink:
  • gdb
    edited March 2012
    mlebler wrote: »
    I've already determined it was a mismatch with the amplification I was using...I can't wait to get them singing with the right power...my search continues...

Now on to the subject matter of amplification again, what would be so wrong with powering them with a pro DJ amp? I've always wondered why no one talks about pro amps for home use? And I'm talking about better brands like Crown for example. They seem to pump out gobs of power for much much less $$$. Obviously I assume home audio amps are more refined with better components, but I would love to hear peoples thoughts on pro amps used for home use...

...and btw, nice setup gdb....one day.........one day...

Try a Parasound amp, that is basically what was used at the audio show.:wink:
  • mlebler
    edited March 2012
    gdb wrote: »
    Not mine...it was the set up at an audio show in Maryland. Pro gear, IMO (and many other's here) is harsh and unrefined power, which is less noticeable in a concert setting. I'll never have any, but, some folks seem to like it.:wink:

Agreed, the Pyle amp I tested out today with my LSi's was very unrefined and not something I would want in my home system, the sound started to get on my nerves after a while....however, I will say it brought a bit of life back into them and I no longer felt they were "boring" or "veiled".

The Crown xls1500 has sparked my interest. Its rated at 525wpc into 4ohms and its only around 11 pounds due to its class-D technology. The fans are suppose to be very quiet and it also has a built in crossover function for bi-amping...I'm sure I'll get a lot of hatters on here against such amplifiers, but it still looks interesting to me.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2012
    Do whatever you want to do. It's your money and your gear. I have never heard the pro amps so I have no opinion. However, this subject has been discussed a few times over the years. The general opinion seems to be that pro-amps are great for bars, etc., but not that great at home. At least not if you have a discerning ear.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mlebler
    edited March 2012
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Do whatever you want to do. It's your money and your gear. I have never heard the pro amps so I have no opinion. However, this subject has been discussed a few times over the years. The general opinion seems to be that pro-amps are great for bars, etc., but not that great at home. At least not if you have a discerning ear.

Ya, I figured as much.....
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,527
    edited March 2012
    Pro Amps are designed for loud, not fidelity.

I have ran a Crown XTI1000 in my main rig and it lasted about half way through a song.

They are just not built for the application you are doing.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited March 2012
    mlebler, make sure you heed everyone's advice about positioning. Get that tweeter at ear height, and toe them in. I like them toed in a lot, like slightly overlapping so you can just barely see the outsides of the cabinets from the listening position. LSi's are the only speakers I toe in that much; it's just their nature.

Glad to hear you're exploring solutions instead of just writing them off as bad speakers.

Cheers,

Ben
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited March 2012
    Agreed, the Pyle amp I tested out today with my LSi's was very unrefined and not something I would want in my home system, the sound started to get on my nerves after a while....however, I will say it brought a bit of life back into them and I no longer felt they were "boring" or "veiled".

The Crown xls1500 has sparked my interest. Its rated at 525wpc into 4ohms and its only around 11 pounds due to its class-D technology. The fans are suppose to be very quiet and it also has a built in crossover function for bi-amping...I'm sure I'll get a lot of hatters on here against such amplifiers, but it still looks interesting to me.

It's about quality not quantity. I can run LSI's all day long to very loud levels with 30 wpc., because I have. Pro gear stinks if fidelity is your ultimate goal.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pietro944
    pietro944 Posts: 720
    edited March 2012

Been using a Crown amp for years.Massive power for any 4ohm speaker,refined sound with a good pre-amp.High slew rate and well-built.It does have a somewhat loud fan,but I just put in my bedroom,10 feet from my living room set-up.Crown and Qsc make quality amps.....Pyle and some others are garbage.Get a nice tube pre-amp and you'll be set for years....I :biggrin:am
  • heiney9
    edited March 2012
    Pro-amps especially QSC stink compared a real high fidelity amp.

Massive power is overrated, and slew rate is one of those specs that in and of itself is absolutely meaningless as 99.9% of amps produced have sufficient slew rate.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2012
    There have been several discussions of "pro" amps (Crown and others) and the general consensus has been they suck in "Hi-Fi" applications. Can you use them? Yes. Are there better alternatives? Definitely!

However, as someone else pointed out...it's your money and gear...do whatever you like.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • pietro944
    pietro944 Posts: 720
    edited March 2012
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Pro-amps especially QSC stink compared a real high fidelity amp.

Massive power is overrated, and slew rate is one of those specs that in and of itself is absolutely meaningless as 99.9% of amps produced have sufficient slew rate.

another country heard from(lol):rolleyes:
  • gdb
    edited March 2012
    What'ya want, he was anointed the forum authority of the year !:lol:
  • pyrocyborg
    pyrocyborg Posts: 524
    edited March 2012
    +1 for Pro being for Loud music when you do not really care about fidelity (party/club, etc.). As a DJ, you add a lot of bass in your sound, and nobody cares after that. Sure it packs out a lot of power, but there is nothing like a "really cheap amp with a lot of power and a good sound".

Cheap price, a lot of power or quality sound : choose 2 of them.
    Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 705, LSiM 703, LSiM 704c
    Receiver: Denon X3500H
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,947
    edited March 2012
    shack wrote: »
    There have been several discussions of "pro" amps (Crown and others) and the general consensus has been they suck in "Hi-Fi" applications. Can you use them? Yes. Are there better alternatives? Definitely!

However, as someone else pointed out...it's your money and gear...do whatever you like.

Thats it in a nutshell, plus we have covered pro amps in many threads.

GDB- Throwing stones again ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    edited March 2012
    tonyb wrote: »
    Thats it in a nutshell, plus we have covered pro amps in many threads.

Always, how/where else does he get his attention for the day.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited March 2012
    If you want to haul firewood, you use a pick-up. If you want to drive in luxury, you use a fine automobile. They both have their niches, just like Pro amps, and hi-fi amps. Pro amps can be fine for passive subwoofer applications however.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • gdb
    edited March 2012
    "GDB- Throwing stones again ? "

Absolutely not, just not being too awfully serious about boldly sweeping statements presented as fact, not opinion. I'll keep it under my shirt and ........

:cool:
  • gdb
    edited March 2012
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Always, how/where else does he get his attention for the day.

Oh, right, I'm the attention **** ! Guffaw
  • gdb
    edited March 2012
    steveinaz wrote: »
    If you want to haul firewood, you use a pick-up. If you want to drive in luxury, you use a fine automobile. They both have their niches, just like Pro amps, and hi-fi amps. Pro amps can be fine for passive subwoofer applications however.

Damn fine analogy !
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2012
    Pro amps are built for durability and running cool, not maximum fidelity---this design is counter to aspects that make an amplifier that has maximum fidelity. You wouldn't toss 1/2 a cord of wood in the trunk of your CTS would you?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • gdb
    edited March 2012
    The wife is thinking about a low mileage, certified CTS, are you saying it's not a good choice for firewood transport?:cheesygrin:
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2012
    Let's say not "optimal."
  • gdb
    edited March 2012
    Maybe I'll steer her towards the Buicks then, thanks !:cheesygrin: She really should have a comfortable vehicle to drive after a hard day of cutting and splitting the wood.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2012
    tonyb wrote: »

I wouldn't know. I don't see anything he posts.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,947
    edited March 2012
    Aw...C'mon Shack....take him off ignore. Misery loves company so we are asking you to join us in our misery.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable