The LSi9...is it really that good?

Options
mlebler
mlebler Posts: 29
edited March 2012 in Speakers
P3060805-1.jpg

I've spent the last month doing a lot of serious listening with my LSi9's and I just can't seem to fall in love with them...and believe me, I want to! Here are some adjectives I would use to describe them:

-Veiled
-Laid-back
-Muffled
-Boring

For comparison I own a pair of Monitor 70's as well as a pair of RTi6's. I find these two speakers quite similar with there sound signatures, especially when compared the LSi9's. The Monitor 70's are a nice all-around speaker I find, great for music. The RTi6's are a little brighter/clearer and have less bottom-end given that it's a bookshelf. For everyday music I actually prefer the monitor 70's and for TV, movies, and some types of music I prefer the RTi6.

By the way, I've been using a slightly modified (changed out the signal caps) class-D PS Audio HCA-2 amplifier rated at 150wpc for all my critical listening. This amp sounds absolutely amazing! However, it is also "laid-back" and might not be the best pairing for the LSi9's. But man oh man does it sound good with my 70's and RTi's.

.....Now back to the LSi's! I will say this, the LSi9's aren't total "loosers" to my ears. They have good bottom-end and do really well with some types of music (mainly classical)...sadly I find myself bobbing my head and simply enjoying myself more with my Monitor 70's. I say "sadly" because I wanted to like my LSi9's more because I spent the "extra" money to get some "extra" sound....if you know what I mean. And I'm in Canada, so auditioning the LSi9's were out of the question before buying because of my location. I do plan to keep them around though, maybe for a future modification or different amp pairing.

So in closing, I just wanted to put this information out there and let people know just how different these speakers are compared to anything else I've owned...They are totally different animals to what I'm use to and really, REALLY need to be listened to before buying. Some may love them, some may hate them.

Also, if there are any LSi9 owners out there please post your thoughts and experiences with these speakers. I would love to hear about your amp pairings, opinions, and experiences with these speakers! Thank you!
Post edited by mlebler on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,913
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I'm not familiar with that particular amp, but you say it sounds good on 8 ohm speakers, not so good on 4 ohm. So I would imagine it's haveing a harder time with the 4 ohm load of the LSI's. Plus you already said it's pretty laid back so the pairing of that amp to the speaker isn't going to do justice to either one. Consider borrowing an amp maybe ? Just a thought.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlebler
    edited March 2012
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with that particular amp, but you say it sounds good on 8 ohm speakers, not so good on 4 ohm. So I would imagine it's haveing a harder time with the 4 ohm load of the LSI's. Plus you already said it's pretty laid back so the pairing of that amp to the speaker isn't going to do justice to either one. Consider borrowing an amp maybe ? Just a thought.

Yup, I'm definitely going to try and get some different amps paired up with them. Its my mission to like these some day!
  • nhhiep
    nhhiep Posts: 877
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I had similar experience with my Lsi9s. kinda disappointed. it sounds too close to the Rti series, just less bright. I think I set my expectation too high from what I heard about the vifa tweeter. If polk just rework the Rti tweeter to sound less bright, they didn't need to invest in a vifa tweeter and end up with same sound and wider soundstage. But man, the mid is realllly nice
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Modern Polk Audio speakers I've owned include the: RT-3, RT-7, RT-16, RT-1000p, RTi-A9, LSi-7, LSi-9, and LSi-15.

I prefer the LSi's. The RTi-A9's are the top of the RTi line, and I'd take the LSi-9's over them all day for 2-channel music. I'd take the A9's over the LSi-9's for HT, but that's not a fair comparison; in a more apples to apples type deal, I'd take the LSi-15's over the RTi-A9's for both music and HT.

Keep in mind I have a pretty sensitive ear and revealing gear. The LSi's do not sound laid back to me at all; they sound clean and clear.

What else is in your system besides that amp you mentioned? I second Tony's recommendation of trying a different amp that's made to handle the LSi's low ohm load. I'm also curious about what else you're using.

Gear aside, different strokes for different folks. The Monitors you mentioned and the RTi's are both nice speakers.

Notice I was only comparing "Modern" Polks. Vintage is a different story, and I feel the vintage Polks are different beasts altogether. Vintage Polks I've owned include the Monitor 5B, Monitor 10B, RTA-12C, SDA-2B, and SDA-1C. I'd take the Lsi-9's over the Monitors, but not the RTA's or SDA's.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,276
    edited March 2012
    Options
    The LSi is a series I just cant like either, dont feel bad.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pyrocyborg
    pyrocyborg Posts: 524
    edited March 2012
    Options
    From my personnal experience, my LSi7 are better for music when compared to my RTi. However, LSi7 aren't as picky about placement than LSi9 (that need proper placement to ever sound good). Was my RTiA3 to LSi7 swap a night and day difference? No, but I find them more musical, more detailled while still being smooth, expecially in straight mode. If I use "normal" mode on my NAD amp, they sound laid-back, while in straight mode, they sound pretty neutral which I like! I do not regret my purchase, but to be honest, I wasn't sure when I first powered them... They sounded way too laid back, while I was used to a forward sound for years.

Pushing that particular "straight" button on my amp made a world of difference: it punch heavier, sound is cristal clear, voice isn't "muffled" anymore (while it was sometime the case on some tracks while using the "normal" mode) and instrument separation is better. Sure, bass is less omnipresent, but it's punchier when it needs it the most. Did you try that kind of setting (straigth mode; bypass; natural mode; etc.), and if so, did you preferred them that way? On my Yamaha, this setting did next to nothing, but on my NAD, wow, it's impressive.

But yeah, we all have our tastes and maybe the pairing isn't optimal; I don't know. I wouldn't call them muffled, but sure they are less "in your face" than the RTi series. I didn't try the LSi9 myself, but my LSi7 are a good overall performer. They aren't bass heavy, do not have a mid-bass hump, are quite detailed and pleasing to my ears when compared to the "bright-sounding" (IMO) RTi.

I think this is all about personnal preferences, and gear pairing. Some people had a lot of difficulty finding the correct amp for their LSi9, so I quite agree it might be a speaker "flaw" (no mismatch allowed). NAD + LSi7 is a great combo IMO, but I couldn't speak for everyone.
    Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 705, LSiM 703, LSiM 704c
    Receiver: Denon X3500H
  • tonyb
    edited March 2012
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    The LSi is a series I just cant like either, dont feel bad.

Same here, not my cup of tea but doesn't mean their bad by a long shot.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Matt Polk had a pair in one of his home 2 channel systems and dual LSi9s with special crossovers in his home theater system. Yes they are that good.

I had a pair years ago. I regret selling them.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Lietuvis91
    Lietuvis91 Posts: 908
    edited March 2012
    Options
    That's interesting. I happen to love the sweet sound of my lsi9s. I will agree, they are not perfect. But for laid back music listening, I absolutely love mine. I do think gear can have an impact too. My hca1500 (200w/ch) amp does a much better job with these puppies than the hca1000 (100w/ch). The sound seems sharper/more accurate with the more powerful amp.

And I do agree that when powered correctly, the m70s is a darn good all around speaker.
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3
  • mlebler
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Here is my setup: FLAC and MP3 from my PC via digital coaxial>>>Emotiva XDA-1 Preamp/DAC>>>PS Audio HCA-2 amp

I really think it might be the amp pairing with these. The HCA-2 amp is very laid-back and warm. It seems to be a better pairing with the 70's and the RTi6's, which are more "in-your-face". I'm going to see if I can borrow a more "in-your-face" pro DJ amp from a DJ friend of mine and see if it makes a difference with the LSi's.

.....I've only been into this audio obsession for about 4 months now, but man is it fun. Learn something new everyday. Even though I'm a little disappointed with the LSi's, I'm having a blast trying them next to my other speakers and I'm sure the journey to getting them sounding their best will be even more enjoyable!
  • pyrocyborg
    edited March 2012
    Options
    mlebler wrote: »
    Here is my setup: FLAC and MP3 from my PC via digital coaxial>>>Emotiva XDA-1 Preamp/DAC>>>PS Audio HCA-2 amp

I really think it might be the amp pairing with these. The HCA-2 amp is very laid-back and warm. It seems to be a better pairing with the 70's and the RTi6's, which are more "in-your-face". I'm going to see if I can borrow a more "in-your-face" pro DJ amp from a DJ friend of mine and see if it makes a difference with the LSi's.

.....I've only been into this audio obsession for about 4 months now, but man is it fun. Learn something new everyday. Even though I'm a little disappointed with the LSi's, I'm having a blast trying them next to my other speakers and I'm sure the journey to getting them sounding their best will be even more enjoyable!

Using a straitgh/bypass/natural mode "bypass" any particular timbre induced by a certain pre-amp/amp. Sure, it won't change a tube pre-amp, but almost every solid state amp will sound closely similar with this setting on. If you have this kind of setting, try it, your speakers might be more revealing. If it doesn't, well... I don't know :cheesygrin:
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Doro (where is Doro anyway?) had his John Curl amp making some Lsi9s sing their hearts out at the Capital Audio Show, and they sounded great to my ears. Synergy is an elusive thing!
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited March 2012
    Options
    You guys have to stop with these threads before I sell my A9's for LSi's...
  • mlebler
    edited March 2012
    Options
    So I guess I'm looking for good amp pairings for the LSi9's. What are all of you successfully driving your LSi's with?
  • pyrocyborg
    edited March 2012
    Options
    So I guess I'm looking for good amp pairings for the LSi9's. What are all of you successfully driving your LSi's with?

Well, I would suggest you to do that if you have the possibility to return the product if it doesn't suit your tastes (i.e. if your LSi doesn't sound as espected). But there again, some people just won't like the LSi sound, even if they are "perfectly" matched, because we all have different taste.

Anyways... Mines are doing great with my NAD integrated. As I said, in straight mode, they offer a rich/detailled, clean, punchy but yet very smooth sound that, while more "forward" than laid-back, never sound harsh or thin. A lot of people here recommanded a NAD amp to pair with my LSi, and since I turned that straight mode on, I do not regret both purchases! I do not know how NAD would do for a pair of LSi9, but it might be worth a look.

However, all this "boring" feeling might be caused by a certain incompatibility between the LSi and the music you listen the most. IMO, they do really great with jazz, accoustic, blues, some classical, easy listening, smooth rock and some classic rock... but they're far from perfect when listening to rock, dance, hip-hop, contemporary R&B and most metal types (sure, they play these types well enough, but I've heard better speakers for these particular purposes).
  • IRLRaceFan
    IRLRaceFan Posts: 172
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I actually prefer my (Magnepan) MMG's to my LSi9's.
    HT
    Onkyo TX-NR1008 | Magnepan 1.7 | Polk LSiC | Polk VM20 | Polk DSW microPro 2000 | Parasound HCA-2205A | Oppo BDP-93

2-Ch
    Cary SLP 30 Tube Preamp | Polk LSi7 | Carver M1.5t | Audio-gd Digital Interface | W4S DAC-2 | MAC Mini | Denon DP300f & Pro-Ject Debut III TT's
  • GrapeApe
    GrapeApe Posts: 21
    edited March 2012
    Options
    ... some adjectives I would use to describe them:

-Veiled
    -Laid-back
    -Muffled
    -Boring

I used the same adjectives when powering with my Harman Kardon AVR-225. Switched to a Carver m400 and they opened up. Moving to Emotiva UPA-1s soon and I expect they'll make them better again. Forum members were right when they said these speakers needed lots of power.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Here are some adjectives I would use to describe them:
    -Laid-back
    -Boring

Exactly as I have described them. During one demo someone spun Nora Jones and I was in a coma for days... :cheesygrin:

Given that you really like the Mon 70's and RTi's, your LSi impression is not surprising. The RTi 10's were my personal fav from that era.

Get your ears some on old Mon 7's with Peerless tweets. I think you might like them...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • tonyb
    edited March 2012
    Options
    See now Bruce, the old Monitor 7's imho anyway is one of Polk's best speakers. Under rated in my book. The RTI-LSI line never tickled my fancy. I wish more would seek them out, for the going used price, nobrainers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • shack
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I've never cared much for the Monitor 7s. Yeah...I know...they are generally raved about...at least here on this fourm. They have just never been "all that" to me.
    During one demo someone spun Nora Jones and I was in a coma for days...

That had NOTHING to do with the speakers... Just mention her name and I start yawning.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I've heard the 9s a number of times and own the 7s, which as Pcg describes above are an almost "perfect" match for NADs. I'd run the 7s on at least three amps until I hooked them up to the NAD and they were OK. But when the NAD pushed them something clicked.

As far as Rock, rap, etc. Hey, stick a MicroPro sub into your system with the LSi bookies and you're good. The low end is fine for most music but if the tunes have a heavy bottom end you need the sub to assist.

Most people who don't like these speakers just have a taste for a more in your face sound. For example, if you like B&W you're NOT going to like the old LSIs--it's almost that simple. That and synergy--you've got to find the right pairing for your ears and room.

And frankly, boys! If ya don't like 'em. Get some LSi-Ms (they do everything the old series does and a lot more, and NO one is going to call them veiled unless he's on a hearing aid!).

Get some 703s and call it a day! BTW, I also like M-70s on a good 200 watt x 2 power amp-they really open up but they just don't have as "refined" a high end as the LSi-7s on the NAD. Yes, that Vifa is "something" and I really wish I could have heard that Dual LSi-9 system that Matt Polk ran!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Dmlopr
    Dmlopr Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I've been listening to my Lsi9's for two months. They're powered by a Marantz PM8004 and sit on Sanus SF-26B Steel Speaker Stands. Very pleased with the setup all around.
    AVR:Denon X4000
    AMP: Marantz PM8004
    Speakers: Polk LSi9 /Sanus SF26, Polk M60, Polk CS20, Polk RM6750 Surrounds, Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Video: Panasonic Viera TC-P65ST60, DMP-BDT500 Blu-ray player, PS3
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited March 2012
    Options
    +1 on the LSi9 & NAD connection. My 9s sound great w/ the c375bee.

That being said ... I like my KEFs more now and am pondering whether to keep the LSi9s. DOH. I just went through this comparison w/ the LSi9s and the RTi As. I sense a pattern developing ;)

But that's the fun of this hobby. You try things and you get a better sense of what you like and what you like more. Perhaps the 9s are a taaad too laid back for me. But tonally, the LSis are great.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • iskandam
    iskandam Posts: 704
    edited March 2012
    Options
    As others have mentioned, synergy is the key in getting max performance out of the LSi's. When I switched amps I found myself switching the cables too to get the sound I want. In your case I'd recommend silver IC's to spice things up a bit.
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited March 2012
    Options
    i also had monitor 10 with peerless tweeter then switched to LSi15...even my wife could notice the difference...got more detail and smooth overall....also have monitor 50 as well....

but I think I will settle for RTi series and call it a day for my HT setup...
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,108
    edited March 2012
    Options
    The LSi 9 is an excellent speaker which needs quality gear driving them as well as proper placement. I owned them for about 6 months and eventually didn't care the upper midbass hump designed into them. All this talk about them being veiled and laid back (and some say harsh :rolleyes:) is news to me. I never had an issue in that area, they were superb. They imaged very, very well, and were detailed without being harsh or forward. That said they absolutely excell at acoustic, vocal, jazz, classical more than they do with pop, hard rock, rap or other generally poorer made recordings.

I'd still have them if A) a pair of SDA's hadn't become available locally B) the mid bass hump could be fixed, which it can by redoing the x-over with better quality parts.

If I had to guess most that don't like them don't have the proper gear to support them and one of you listenes to MP3's and then blames the speaker for how bad it sounds, shame on you.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,108
    edited March 2012
    Options

I'd say the weak link is the Emo.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    edited March 2012
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    If I had to guess most that don't like them don't have the proper gear to support them and one of you listenes to MP3's and then blames the speaker for how bad it sounds, shame on you.

H9

Exactly, been saying that for years and not just with LSI's. Thats also why you have to take reviews with a grain of salt.....on any audio gear. Audio is a team sport, speakers alone won't get you to heaven. Everything matters. The higher up the chain you go, the more attention needs to be given to the other electronic players.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • shack
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I had my LSi9s paired with a NAD 320BEE integrated amp. That was one sweet rig. I think there is a real synergy factor here with the LSi series and NAD. They just work well together.

Also the LSi sound just isn't for everyone...and that is ok. I am not a fan of B&W and really like Vienna Acoustics. I'm sure there are many here that are the exact opposite. Choices...we have lots of them...which is good.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,534
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I thought the Lsi9 was a great sounding speaker--minor faults were (to me) it's inability to "escape" the boxes, soundstage wise. They can be a little lumpy in mid-bass if you don't give them proper room. Veiled, laid-back? Veiled I'd say no. Laid-back, well in relation to your typical HT or lower end speaker that tend to pack alot of treble energy to "sound" exciting, maybe. I thought the treble was a nice balance of air and extension, without getting grainy or harsh. I did note some slight beaming on some material, but this is likely a cross-over issue and/or poor mastering.

Be careful, "exciting" usually ends up being "irratating" in the long run.

End of the day, what you're noticing is simply listener preferences. Some people like an exciting speaker, some don't. Some like the treble laid back, others don't; some prefer bass quantity over bass quality. I don't think it speaks to the quality of a speaker at all, it's just personal expectations and desires.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
This discussion has been closed.