Polkfest 2012

Options

Comments

• greybeard
    greybeard Posts: 60
    edited February 2012
    Options
    My parole office says I can attend Polkfest as long as there are no felons on the premises. I told him that these felons don't know polyswitches from premises so I should be safe.

Besides, after buying Larry's wonderful rings, Gimpod's great boards, Mike's plethora of excellent gaskets, some MIT cables and a bunch of mystery parts from Sonic Craft and Mills, (...just what the devil is that round white thing with wires sticking out?) I thought I should consider maybe buying some speakers now. - greybeard
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2012
    Options
    brgman wrote: »
    Nice! I'm all in for this.
    wait-
    DORO isn't gonna be there is he???:cry:

my thoughts exactly...:cheesygrin:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    edited February 2012
    Options
    well if you all really want to see me again.. I guess I could try and make the trip.. sheesh.. the pressure. :rolleyes:

*i hope there is a prize for furthest traveled* :lol:
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Al, you better be there. You missed the last 2. It's your responsibility as a senior member-lol

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2012
    Options
    brgman wrote: »
    Nice! I'm all in for this.
    wait-
    DORO isn't gonna be there is he???:cry:

Why wouldn't I be there? I'll have a nametag on so just avoid me whenever possible and you'll have a great time. You'll never even miss me and when you're back home, rolling around naked in your freebies, squandered nick nacks and dirty memories of vR3, it'll be soooo worth it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2012
    Options
    $10 Paypal to anyone who can get me a pic of brgman in a compromised position.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Scompracer and I will be ther driving a white van with speakers. Picking up vermin from the airport. I know Brock enjoyed the ride during the last Polkfest at HQ!!!:twisted:
    Carl

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited February 2012
    Options
    danger boy wrote: »
    well if you all really want to see me again.. I guess I could try and make the trip.. sheesh.. the pressure. :rolleyes:
    We're looking forward to seeing you Al!! Bring a couple of the WA crowd with you, maybe charter a plane.
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,363
    edited February 2012
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Scompracer and I will be ther driving a white van with speakers. Picking up vermin from the airport. I know Brock enjoyed the ride during the last Polkfest at HQ!!!:twisted:

LMAO! What memories! We'll still remove the back seats regardless of speakers being in there or not.:twisted::cheesygrin:
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • heiney9
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Scompracer and I will be ther driving a white van with speakers. Picking up vermin from the airport. I know Brock enjoyed the ride during the last Polkfest at HQ!!!.
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    LMAO! What memories! We'll still remove the back seats regardless of speakers being in there or not.:twisted::cheesygrin:

Great memories for sure. Can't wait for PF 2012.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited February 2012
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Why wouldn't I be there? I'll have a nametag on so just avoid me whenever possible and you'll have a great time. You'll never even miss me and when you're back home, rolling around naked in your freebies, squandered nick nacks and dirty memories of vR3, it'll be soooo worth it.

I'll be looking for that name tag... and when I find it I'll give whoever is wearing it a big ole Pac10 smack on the chapless ****.:cheesygrin:
    Too much **** to list....
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,857
    edited February 2012
    Options
    pepster wrote: »
    $10 Paypal to anyone who can get me a pic of brgman in a compromised position.

Yeah, good luck with that one.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    edited February 2012
    Options
    We're looking forward to seeing you Al!! Bring a couple of the WA crowd with you, maybe charter a plane.

I"m looking forward to seeing you Carl and the rest of the gang... I will see who want's to make the trip with me to PF12!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I am going to try and make this so I can get the full experience, and maybe put faces to insults. :biggrin:

For me, it is a good time since it is almost my B-day, and I need to get back to MD to see the folks. Since they are on the Wye River, the summer traffic on Route 50 should be over so driving won't be a pain.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • audio_alan
    audio_alan Posts: 770
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Sounds like a good time! I'll go, but only if I'm awared the "Bought the most sets of SDAs in the past year" award -- 6 sets! :cheesygrin:

This might be a tough one to pass up since it's at Polk Headquarters!
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited February 2012
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Any recommendations or a central hotel that most are going to booking
    Same Question
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,958
    edited February 2012
    Options
    audio_alan wrote: »
    Sounds like a good time! I'll go, but only if I'm awared the "Bought the most sets of SDAs in the past year" award -- 6 sets! :cheesygrin:

This might be a tough one to pass up since it's at Polk Headquarters!

We could plan the trip together? Maybe save a few bucks on air fair as well..
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2012
    Options
    All the recommendations can be found in the historical threads about Polkfest here at HQ from previous years. 2005 was the first one at HQ.

I'll put together another more formal thread this month. As far as multiple people staying in heh same location, you guys will really have to start talking to one another and get a plan together. We've tried to recommend and help guide people to stay in the same place and half the folks don't listen, can't commit at the same time and it's just general confusion since everyone is in a different stage of commitment at this time.

Just get your stuff together, decide if you're coming or not and post your interest here. If you can't decide whether you're coming or not by the end of the month, your not coming so accept it and help those that are nail down some lodging.

Historically, there's about a 25% attrition rate in the final tally of attendees. Some people will talk for MONTHS about how they can't wait and how awesome it's going to be, which it is, and then never show up. This is usually followed by endless statements of they hate their lives and why why? why! or damn my grandmother for deciding to die that week, etc etc.

This is a huge event for Polk beings it's the anniversary and will most likely be the last for homebase events. If you're going to make one of the famous Polkfests, this is one you have to be a part of. The second one I'd highly suggest never missing down the road is the South Carolina Polkfest's. They set the bar for all others to be judged, are always the most memorable and most supported by Polk.

Start deciding and telling your wife now, that you WILL be going and she's gonna have to strap in and work out the details.

My personal suggestion is to come in on Thursday so you can meet up with local Polkies, get a nice dinner with the early crowd in a smaller venue and atmosphere and leave Sunday afternoon. As far as quick lodging, stay at/near BWI Airport if you're flying in and if you're carpooling, stay within 15 minutes of the HQ. Do not fly into Dulles or Reagan. Neither is convenient in any way,especially Dulles.

If you need a rental car, contact Warlocks1.

Mark
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • audio_alan
    audio_alan Posts: 770
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    We could plan the trip together? Maybe save a few bucks on air fair as well..

Good idea. At the very least we could try to get on the same flights so we can share cabs or a rental car, etc. Let's see how things shape up as more details come out. Then we can discuss finalizing plans...

Will most people be flying in on Thursday, and leaving on Sunday?
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,958
    edited February 2012
    Options
    That would be my guess..
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Here's a link to the '08 PF logistics thread.

IIRC, most stayed at the Hilton in Pikesville. There are absolutely no good bars around there, however.

In other news, Tony Romo's is no longer open. Anyone wishing to perform the green apple quickstep after dinner will need to find somewhere else to eat.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Wishing my spring and summer away...
  • danger boy
    edited February 2012
    Options
    i'm down to stay at whatever hotel is reasonably priced and where the majority of the attendees are staying. It's great being in the same place as other members.. then when guest arrive.. you can stand outside and try to match faces with names.. it's a hoot... no one ever looks like their nickname.... I'm the exception of course. :rolleyes:

Mark is right for once... decide to be a part of this event and make it happen. If you don't have funds right now.. well find a way and save up for the trip. There are right now over 6 months to raise the coins and plan ahead. This is an event you MUST plan ahead for.. doing things last minute will usually not turn out as planned. I've never understood why some people within driving distance can't make it to PF. I fly literally cross country and still have made 2
    Polkfests. So if I can make it happen I'm sure other's can as well.. esp if you live within driving distance.

I fly in on Thurs.. meet up with who ever else is checking into the hotel and we go out for dinner and drinks. IT's great getting to see familiar faces and long lost pals from the site. It's a brotherhood of sorts.

Plan ahead and make it happen. Don't be the one to regret not going. You will kick yourself once you hear the great stories and see the pics. You can quote me on that. :cheesygrin:

I hope we get some new faces this year at PF12, I'm not sure how many more of these with RuSsMaN I can handle. :razz:

Think of it this way.... this is the Super Bowl of Polk gatherings.. you would never miss the Super Bowl would you? lol
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2012
    Options
    BDT is in like swimwear. TLW will probably be in as well.

Just for Al, I've got a 2 liter bottle of a special, imported, beverage.

Game on.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Already getting excited for this. The last PF at HQ was awesome even though I was on crutches the whole time and in a lot of pain but it was well worth it.
  • heiney9
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Who are we going to make fun of this year, Dave?

H9
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I say it's Russman this year H9. He's due for some breaking down and rebuilding.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2012
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I say it's Russman this year H9. He's due for some breaking down and rebuilding.

Haven't seen him at a fest the past couple of years I think he is due.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Definitely planning on attending the festivities since it's a leisurely 16 mile drive for me! Hell, I may even cruise in on the Harley!

This is the year I score a locket of the legendary hair from Jesse's melon!
    No excuses!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Definitely planning on attending the festivities since it's a leisurely 16 mile drive for me! Hell, I may even cruise in on the Harley!

This is the year I score a locket of the legendary hair from Jesse's melon!

Where you going to rent the jackhammer?