Polkfest 2012

1111213141517»

Comments

• cnhcnh Posts: 13,310
    edited October 2012
    That's certainly a decent combo, above. I've heard CJs a number of times. They're OK, but not quite warm enough for me, personally. There are a "plethora" of possibilities for a set of LSi-M 703s. I'd suggest you listen to a few amps.

I've never heard an Aragon pre-amp, only amps--which I would also consider, if you can find a good used piece!

I think this new series of LSi speaker, because it has a more detailed and re-engineered Vifa up top, is a little more detailed and just a tad on the brighter side, so I would (again, this is my preference) go "warmish" with the amplification whereas I would consider something a bit more neutral or even a little forward with the old LSIs.

In any case, saving up some money is a good idea because none of this is cheap. (One reason why I'm two or three years away from upgrading my LSi-7s to LSi-M 703s!).

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • rromeo923rromeo923 Posts: 1,517
    edited November 2012
    Hmmm.
    I agree I would certainly love to audition other amps and preamps w/the LSIMs.
    However, what I heard at the Polkfest demo w/the above configuration did not strike me as being bright in any manner. I am bad w/these audiophile terms but I would definitely put it on the warmer side w/a very large soundstage w/great instrument delineation. It also had a tactile feel. Anyways I cant describe it.
    I would love to hear from others who were there and see what they have to say.
    Anyone?
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • striderstrider Posts: 2,569
    edited November 2012
    I got to play with the 703's for a bit. Never heard the set up at HQ though. Had them first in the demo tour, so they spent the first 100 or so hours breaking in, but I never felt like they seemed bright at all. I'd say the high end was relaxed. Not overly warm, but relaxed.

At the time I was running a tube preamp and a Class A amp with about 25wpc into 8 ohms.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • cnhcnh Posts: 13,310
    edited November 2012
    Dubai "hot tubs"?

No thanks, we don't need any!

REPORTED!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Anthony HintonAnthony Hinton Posts: 107
    edited January 2013
    I really need to get to one of these Polkfests, seems like a really good time.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,957
    edited January 2013
    Drenis wrote: »
    You and F1 don't nearly look as tough as your internet egos make you out to be.

What ya talkin' about, I'm a sweetheart here compared to real life and trust me, you don't want to run into John in a dark alley.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• George GrandGeorge Grand Posts: 12,272
    edited June 2014
    We're getting reasonably close here no?
  • JstasJstas Posts: 14,050
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, we are. You should post in the right threads, though.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?155407-Polkfest-2014-Official-Info-Thread

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?153864-Polkfest-2014...

We don't get moderation around here anymore so a 2 year old sticky is still at the top.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!