The most dynamic, well recorded music you have heard to date....

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    edited May 20
    It is almost impossible to find on vinyl, but Count Basie's "Me and You" has the widest dynamic range of any recording I know. The mastering engineer must not have read the memo about what can go on a record.

7wwn1b9s4q91.png

I heard this one on my desk-top rig awhile back so gave another listen on the SDA's. Jaw-dropping realism, so gave the entire album a listen this weekend. Great share.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,690
    That's great, glad you liked it.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    But to add to the conversation, I remember picking up Tracy Chapman's original debut album on CD in the late 80's. It said it was recorded "DDD" and it is still one of my favorites for dynamics.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,123
    I don't profess to have a broad knowledge, or experience, in classical recordings, but the RCA "Living Stereo" recording of Arthur Fielder conducting Boston Pops' rendition of Peer Gynt sounds exceptional to me. Specifically, the CISCO vinyl pressing is top-notch IMO.
    6kfjf4okwjml.jpg
    e67gne06shc3.jpg
    Side One is particularly exceptional.

There are several different recordings/variations of this 'suite' from Edvard Grieg, but the version reference above is the best I have heard. These CISCO pressings are hard to find.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 762
    I don't know if has been mentioned, Edge of Darkness in Eric Clapton's box set, Crossroads has always taken me on a visceral journey. Actually, I need to listen to it, it has been a while.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,591
    Steve Winwood. Back in the high life again.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,630
    Pop music rarely comes close to the dynamic range that a good orchestra recording hits. One of the most impressive ones I've heard to date is still the Telarc recording that Tom mentioned almost two years ago.
    Time Warp!
    vtan4mzq6mon.jpg
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,884
    That one has fantastic dynamics! Great suggestion!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Nesmith98
    Nesmith98 Posts: 217
    The Marcus Shelby Orchestra __ 'Transitions' is not to shabby...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1tCYEZoVWc
  • jdjohn
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    EDIT: gonna throw in a few honorable mentions:
    Best live rock and roll album (performance and recording), for me, is Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus. The late-1970s MoFi Stan Riker hald-speed remastered LP is my reference, but the fairly recent Rhino 2-CD remaster is also very good. Haven't heard the new MoFi (is it from the same source as the original MoFi?).
    I had been eye-balling this record awhile, and finally purchased a really nice vinyl copy of the half-speed, MoFi, 'Original Master Recording' version. It sounds exceptional. Being a double-album, it even qualifies as good background music in a party situation...IMO.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,429
    This one is spectacular - the textures of the horns and various percussion… the dynamics and imaging are just awesome.

vw3m15iy1qc7.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• jdjohn
    I just received this 'Super Disk' vinyl version of that same BST album.udpcdi4jzd0a.jpg
    I look forward to hearing it, and comparing to the DSD version I downloaded.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,592
    Plus it's a great freaking record (the BS&T, that is). :)
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,358
    edited May 25
    billbillw wrote: »
    Pop music rarely comes close to the dynamic range that a good orchestra recording hits. One of the most impressive ones I've heard to date is still the Telarc recording that Tom mentioned almost two years ago.
    Time Warp!
    vtan4mzq6mon.jpg

"Ascent" is awesome! I know I had this CD but had forgotten about it. Thanks for bringing it up. Now I need to find my copy. I do see it on Qobuz (CD quality).
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,163
    Steely Dan 2 Against Nature
    Diana Krall Pick any Album
    Loreena McKennitt pick any album
    Star Wars Sound tracks John Williams
    James Taylor Hourglass
    Scott, Christian song Rewind That

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,822
    See what you guys think of this one when you get a chance. I’m reminded of this thread every time I listen to it …

t7okmw1plh8i.jpeg
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,222
    The Eagles throughout their catalog.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,773
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Plus it's a great freaking record (the BS&T, that is). :)

One of my first vinyl records...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • SIHAB
    mantis wrote: »
    Steely Dan 2 Against Nature

the new AP SACD? I've had that in my cart a couple of times....
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • SIHAB
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    See what you guys think of this one when you get a chance. I’m reminded of this thread every time I listen to it …

t7okmw1plh8i.jpeg

immediate head nodding :)

• treitz3
    @SIHAB nailed it with his reaction. It is a great album.....and I am only on song 4. (First time listening to it now). Definitely immediate head knobbing.....Great music!

Appreciate the suggestion.

As far as dynamics go? Eh, not anything special or stand out about it IMO. The music more than makes up for it though.

With that said, I am listening to it via Qobuz. It looks like you (@bcwsrt) are using a different streaming service. They may offer a better rendition/mastering/resolution.

Regardless, this album just got added to the Jazz favorites. In time, this is gonna get some regular rotation. That's fo'sho'.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Some of the songs were compressed as well. Overall, a decent recording but IMO, nothing special.

The music on the other hand? Heck yeah, man!

Tom
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,822
    Well, I'm glad you guys enjoyed the music, anyway! Tom, from what I understand, you can't beat Qobuz for SQ and for sure your streaming setup puts the smackdown on my MacBook streaming Apple Music, but for whatever reason, that is one of the better-sounding recordings I've run across on my rig. I sure do like the tunes, themselves, though, so maybe that is part of it?! Wish that dude was still around making more music.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • mikejedi0619
    mikejedi0619 Posts: 108
    James Taylor and Carole King Live at The Troubadour CD 2010 /2007

:)
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 762
    Donald Fagen - The Nightfly, Walk Between Raindrops
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • jdjohn
    edited July 4
    Bruce Springsteen: Tunnel of Love

Several tracks on this album really speak to me, and hit the sweet spot between digital and analog. Darkness on the Edge of Town has a few of my favorite BS songs as well, but Tunnel of Love still comes out on top (for me) as far as production quality.

EDIT: Don't be thrown off by the first track, "Ain't Got You". It is purposely weighted to the right channel...just part of the song.
  • JCL
    JCL Posts: 142
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Bruce Springsteen: Tunnel of Love

Several tracks on this album really speak to me, and hit the sweet spot between digital and analog. Darkness on the Edge of Town has a few of my favorite BS songs as well, but Tunnel of Love still comes out on top (for me) as far as production quality.

EDIT: Don't be thrown off by the first track, "Ain't Got You". It is purposely weighted to the right channel...just part of the song.

Thanks for the suggestion! Haven’t listened to Tunnel of Love in a while.
    L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,457
    edited July 6
    Anybody mention Jazz at the Pawnshop? Very well recorded.

Tape is said to have better dynamic range than vinyl but it would be pricey to find out. $1k for the tapes and you would need a great deck. Maybe Ken has them?

qdb951tiyzdh.jpg
    bx35ilhgp97x.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,457
    edited July 6
    If you like pipe organ music, Michael Murray plays Bach on The Great Organ at Methuen, Telarc label. Sounds great here with the open main level with high ceilings. Norm (RIP) loved it cranked to 11. Folks look at the album and immediately think Europe, but that organ is in the US, Methuen, Massachusetts.

Rob Wasserman, Duets is pretty good too. Wasserman started playing violin in his youth then moved to upright bass. Big sound, punchy bass, various artists. My favorites are Over the Rainbow with Stephane Grappelli on violin and Ballad Of The Runaway Horse with Jennifer Warnes.

a4g11xn9clzf.jpg
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *