The most dynamic, well recorded music you have heard to date....

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,884
    edited June 2011
    I'm beginning to feel like some of you do not know what dynamic range is and that you are basing things on the frequencies offered. Here's some notes I made on Madonna's "music" CD...

Song 3 sounds like a cross between Delerium and transe with a DJ mixed in but the bass is pure electronics. Most of it is between an estimated 25-35Hz. This may be why some of you think it's dynamic. It's just electronically generated lower registers. Song 2 has some very nice 3-D sound that envelops you and in a way, I wish more recordings were done this way but this is on the top end only.

Song 4 sounds like it would be great on a car stereo or a two way speaker that can't quite dig down as low as my rig can. Even with the two subs off. Probably [my guess] what the entire album was geared toward. Song 7 is annoying as hell with the sound coming in and out sharply. Not in a good way either. Just stupid, If you ask me. Song 9 is cool as hell!

Overall, you can clearly tell that the music was compressed and recorded hot. I mean hot. That may mean detail to some and it may mean dynamics to some others when paired with the lower electronic frequencies mixed in but it is far from dynamic. The bass is overpondering throughout the CD and it sounds as if the same recording engineers did Lady Antebellum's "Need you now" album.

This CD will most likely be in the CD rack for years to come and will only be played again for song #9. That is, unless I listen to it in my truck or other sub-par system. I will not be purchasing any other Madonna CD, even if it does sound "better", if it is anything like this. Holy crap, gentlemen. Throw me a bone.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,157
    edited June 2011
    I will say I never recomended Music and Ray of Light is great for SDA's, not nec for dynamic range. In fact Ray of Light is the only Madonna cd that is listenable.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,105
    edited June 2011
    I have to agree Steely Dans Aja is the one to show off your system with
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited June 2011
    I was never a big fan of MJ, but remember the "Thriller" cd sounding fairly well mixed??? Anyone have the SACD that can chime in? Someone correct me please if I'm wrong.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited June 2011
    I'lll also throw in Steeley Dan and most Mark Knopler solo efforts were beautifuly recorded.Also I just got a Diana Krall cd from the library and it too is recored very well.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • kappclark
    kappclark Posts: 136
    edited June 2011
    JimAckley wrote: »
    Try the Apollo 13 score by James Horner. It will put any system's dynamic capability and LF extention at its limits.

How about Titanic (James Horner) ?? Incredible dynamics !

While we're at it, I always use the soundtrack to Wyatt Erp by James Newton Howard as a good reference..the guys at the stereo store always say " what is this - it's great !"
    ** Bill Clark Windham, VT **
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,641
    edited June 2011
    Steely Dan Aja
    Stevie Ray Vaughn- Tin Pan Alley
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 570
    edited June 2011
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Mark, I'll try to look and see if I can get this one...soon

levinson_live.jpg

This is the right one, correct?

That's it Tom!

Everyone here was astonished at this one. The realism is amazing! That takes an accurate soundstage and dynamics to pull off! And this one has it in spades due to his simple setup. Mic pair...into his pre....and then straight into a preliminary Sony DSD recorder. Nothing else!

About as real piano on several cuts as you'll ever hear. Some fun blues kind of cuts. Chico Freeman plays a sax on a couple with as real, raw sax breathiness as you can find. Kenny Rankin plays guitar and sings solo on one. A violin cut on one.

Among a couple he must have recorded at home is, as weird as it sounds, is his (then) mother-in-law reading the 23rd Psalm verse, while he hits some gongs! Talk about dynamics, clear voice reading and then 'WHANGGG"!! Then the next cut is his (now ex) wife reading a poem while Levinson himself plays an upright bass strongly along with it. Just the two of them with real crickets outside chirping in the background. Good stuff!

CJ

PS...after somebody brought it over and we heard it, I must have had it on order within 10 minutes after they all left! I wanted it that much!
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."

More amazing Internet Science Pink Panther wisdom..."My DAC has since been upgraded from Mark Levinson to Topping."
  • treitz3
    edited June 2011
    CJ, PM me your #. I can't find it anywhere [your# or the CD]. I've been meaning to chat with you for a while about 20fold.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    edited June 2011
    So, has anybody had the chance to listen to my suggestion on post #1 yet? I just plopped it in again this morning and I tell ya'.....that song is growing on me. It just takes you to another place on Earth. The dynamics will give you the goose bumps and at times scare the living crap out yo' britches.

Once you hear it, you'll know what I'm talking about. :wink:
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,592
    edited June 2011
    Best recorded and most dynamic? Even at this late date, in my experience it is still Volumes 1 and 2 of the direct to disk (the vinyl kind, not the polycarbonate/aluminum kind) Sonic Fireworks albums on Crystal Clear Records. It's what I like to call "boom-boom" music (prelude from Also Sprach Zarathustra, Copeland's Fanfare for the Common Man, stuff like that), and the musicanship is meh, but the recording quality, space, and dynamics are astounding. Also extremely good is Crystal Clear's 45 rpm direct to disk eponymous Charlie Byrd album - best recorded drums that I have ever heard, to date.

H9, et al. on the topic of Patty Larkin... virtually all of her recordings are excellent in quality (both sonically and musically). I've always wondered why she never became a "big star"... on the bright side, it means I've gotten to see her several times in tiny venues! For a one-stop shopping intro to Patty Larkin, which is excellent in every way, seek out her live solo acoustic album a gogo. It is superb. Several of its tracks are standard references for me to use for hifi evaluations. www.pattylarkin.com

One more exceptional-in-every-way recording I'll mention: The Wailin Jennys Live at Mauch Chunk Opera House. Superb in every way; again an excellent one-stop-shopping intro to this fantastic group (and it sounds great, too). www.thewailinjennys.com

EDIT: gonna throw in a few honorable mentions:
    Best live rock and roll album (performance and recording), for me, is Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus. The late-1970s MoFi Stan Riker hald-speed remastered LP is my reference, but the fairly recent Rhino 2-CD remaster is also very good. Haven't heard the new MoFi (is it from the same source as the original MoFi?).

One outstanding woofer torture-test track (also a great, sultry song, and beautifully recorded and mastered) - Jennifer Warnes' Way Down Deep from her album The Hunter. I'd give up mission-critical body parts for an original vinyl copy of this :-)

HTH.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,457
    edited June 2011
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

One outstanding woofer torture-test track (also a great, sultry song, and beautifully recorded and mastered) - Jennifer Warnes' Way Down Deep from her album The Hunter. I'd give up mission-critical body parts for an original vinyl copy of this :-)

Me too. I settled for the Cisco 180g LP release of The Hunter. The 3 LP 45RPM Famous Blue Raincoat I have is also stellar. Yes, I am a Jennifer Warnes fan. I'd also like to have Madonna's Something To Remember LP (also kind of pricey).

I've been using Regrooving the Dream as a demo since it was released. It even appears in an old showcase photo of mine.

http://www.polkaudio.com/images/showcase/218_61_big.jpg?rand=23772880
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2011
    Holy crap, gentlemen. Throw me a bone.

I threw you one of the biggest bones in my collection. :wink:

Also the LP with Bang a Gong from Powerhouse (I think) has about 3 super dynamic songs, listened to it last night at record levels.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • treitz3
    edited June 2011
    madmax wrote: »
    I threw you one of the biggest bones in my collection. :wink:
    That was not directed at you, Sir. Thank you for your suggestions. :wink: I will check them out.

Earlier this year, I was talking with one of the editors of Stereophile magazine and he had mentioned that AC/DC's Back in Black album was recorded with little to no compression and that it had very good dynamics. While I may not consider it a stellar recording, you can definitely tell that the dynamics are there. Great music to boot.
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited June 2011

Hugh Masekela, "Stimela" 10 minutes and 5 seconds long.

What say you?

Well, I heard that track. It's more of a rant than a song. A good rant, may be!

Nonetheless, it's a dynamic track.

My suggestion.....

Try 2L DTS tracks from Norway!

http://www.2l.no/

Try "Lux ?terna" by Clint Mansell.

Try compositions by Hans Zimmer! Try the composition by Escala. I love them all.

I also have the Disc suggested by Fred and it's very good too.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • megasat16
    edited June 2011
    I can't edit my previous post but I missed to put

"Karl Jerkins and Adiemus" in my previous list.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2011
    Desire by Tierney Sutton is a very well recorded CD. While I expect an SACD to sound good, when a CD comes along that seems to be SACD quality I am happy. This CD is one. If you like Dianna Krall then you will like this CD.

http://www.amazon.com/Desire-Tierney-Sutton/dp/B001PXYH2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307858393&sr=1-1
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,724
    edited June 2011
    Just an FYI, if you're going to mention an artist and track, it would help to include the album name as well.

I'll use post #1 as an example, I've found 3 different version of this song online, all recorded very differently, would help to know which album is being referenced.
  • treitz3
    edited June 2011
    Good point, my bad. The one I have is off the Burmester Vorf*rungs CD III. Song #9. The* is actually a u with the two dots over it. I tried typing it a couple of days ago and it ended up being a question mark. The entire album is recorded well and if you get it, you will also have a unique drum track that's also about 10 minutes long. That one is called "Poem of Chinese Drums" by Yim Hok-Man.

Sorry about that.
  • treitz3
    edited June 2011
    Here ya' go. This is the exact one I have...

http://jimmyauw.com/2007/12/31/burmester-vorfuhrungs-cd-iii/
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,321
    edited June 2011
    Lorna Hunt all in one day. Ben Taylor, ( james kid decent work actually HDCD )

and for some reason I like ray lamontagne's recordings. Kind of old school sounding in the recording.

Black Keys Brothers cd I was surprised on also. After 4 or 5 sounds I just dug the music and the recording of it. Dynamic, and the bass is strong on it. Sometimes the distortion can get annoying that he uses on the voice though.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • kappclark
    kappclark Posts: 136
    edited June 2011
    nspindel wrote: »
    Awesome cd, I have it too. This was one of the first cd's my father ever bought when he bought our first cd player back in the 1980's.
    I have that -- The opening to Battlestar Galactica is off the charts ! What a way to show off the system..
    ** Bill Clark Windham, VT **
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,414
    edited June 2011
    Axel F. Theme By Harold faltermeyer (from bevery hills cop) terrific for speaker evaluation!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited June 2011
    kappclark wrote: »
    I have that -- The opening to Battlestar Galactica is off the charts ! What a way to show off the system..
    Some potential speaker damaging dynamics if one isn't careful with the volume control as it will find your woofers Xmax in a hurry:wink::smile:
  • megasat16
    edited June 2011
    Here ya' go. This is the exact one I have...

http://jimmyauw.com/2007/12/31/burmester-vorfuhrungs-cd-iii/

Man...I looked for it and finally found it. Track 10 is a real bass shaker. A track like that confirms why subs should be sealed and can't go wrong with multiple subs in stereo listening.

Track 10 is an awesome track. :smile: And a must have for the speaker builder. :biggrin:

I won't even go to audition speakers without this track in the future.
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited June 2011
    Telarc's 1812 on vinyl or SACD, both are excellent.
    MOFI's "So Long So Wrong by AKUS vynil.
    MOFI's "Waiting for Columbus" by Little Feat vinyl.
    Donald Fegan's "The Nightfly" vinyl.
  • bmor
    bmor Posts: 44
    edited June 2011
    Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth. I think decent dynamics but it's the quality of the recording that grabs me. Instruments and voices are clean and precise, at least to my worn ears.
    2 CH - SB Touch, CA 840C, CA 840Av2, PSB Imagine T
    HT - Pioneer 1325, Emo UPA-1, MA Silver RS series 7.1
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited June 2011
    OK, general rule of thumb- you want pretty good dynamics, look for anything released in the early/mid-80's through about 90. Madonna, Like a Prayer? great dynamic range; Music? complete trash.

Dire Straights, Brothers in Arms; Duran Duran, Notorious; Van Halen 1984; ZZ Top, Eliminator; MJ Thriller; Depeche Mode, Violator.

Basically, the gear had improved to the point that you could get that awesome dynamic range, but the noise war hadn't kicked in.

One track that I've found is really great for testing gear is Massive Attack's Dissolved Girl- mostly because it has a section where they compress the hell out of it, followed by huge dynamics. On a good system, it pretty much sounds like someone flipped the "suck" switch, then just as suddenly flipped it off. Hard to find a more clear demonstration of dynamic range compression.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • victor. askew
    victor. askew Posts: 50
    edited June 2011
    A lot of great selections have been listed. I stand by mine. Pink Floyds Animals has to be heard. This was around 76/77 and its a great recording that still holds its on with the much newer stuff that came out in the 80,90, and even now.:cool:
    Amps- Nakamichi PA 7 & PA 5.
    P Amp- Classie Audio. Nakamichi CA 5
    Tape- Tandberg 3014A.
    Tape- Nakamichi 600.
    CD Calif Audio Tercet 3.
    CD-Rotel 1078.
    Spkrs- Polk Audio RTI 150 Towers.
    Spkrs- ADS L1290 Towers.
    Spkrs- Yamaha- NS 670,NS 500m,NS 200m, NS 200ma
    NS 200ma hybrids.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,321
    edited June 2011
    Hugh Masekela, "Stimela" 10 minutes and 5 seconds long.

What say you?

Wow I need to pick this up. what version do you recommend? Seems to be a few out there..
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.