The most dynamic, well recorded music you have heard to date....

Options

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    edited June 2011
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    So, has anybody had the chance to listen to my suggestion on post #1 yet? I just plopped it in again this morning and I tell ya'.....that song is growing on me. It just takes you to another place on Earth. The dynamics will give you the goose bumps and at times scare the living crap out yo' britches.

Once you hear it, you'll know what I'm talking about. :wink:

Yes what version of it. I have heard 3 different ones of it on you tube. I can hear how it would be dynamic for sure!!! Good song to boot!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2011
    Options
    sda2mike wrote: »
    FZ has some scary-good recordings...

Uncle Meat from 1968 is a stand-out.

Live at The Roxy is damn close to the best live album of all-time (Live at Leeds), and is definitely in my eyes the best recorded live performance I've ever heard, especially when compared to previous live efforts like The Fillmore or JABFLA. I think by the time of Roxy he could afford Barcus-Berry pick-ups all the way around. Night and day difference.

One Size Fits All is extremely well recorded.

The LSO recordings are well done.

The Yellow Shark is a seriously well recorded item.

The way he gets George Duke's ORGAN playing, no matter which album, is incredible. You want low end? Try the intro on Road Ladies from CR, or 50-50 from Overnight Sensation.

He gets the drums real right on Montana.
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Uncle Meat from 1968 is a stand-out.

Live at The Roxy is damn close to the best live album of all-time (Live at Leeds), and is definitely in my eyes the best recorded live performance I've ever heard, especially when compared to previous live efforts like The Fillmore or JABFLA. I think by the time of Roxy he could afford Barcus-Berry pick-ups all the way around. Night and day difference.

One Size Fits All is extremely well recorded.

The LSO recordings are well done.

The Yellow Shark is a seriously well recorded item.

The way he gets George Duke's ORGAN playing, no matter which album, is incredible. You want low end? Try the intro on Road Ladies from CR, or 50-50 from Overnight Sensation.

He gets the drums real right on Montana.

thanks george! good rsrch stuff...yellow shark is great esp to me trach 6 .
    on one of those comp cd's son of or something, there is a track called 'greetings from baltimore'...i get giddy when i hear the mad genius on lead gtr:cool:

mike
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Speaking of FZ; his (quad) recording of Terry Bozzio; a piece called Hands with a Hammer on (if memory serves) You Can't do that Onstage Anymore, Vol. 3, is astounding.

EDIT: heh :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bSZz4L40Pc
    (some pretty pithy language at the beginning - a put-on, methinks)
  • erniejade
    edited June 2011
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Speaking of FZ; his (quad) recording of Terry Bozzio; a piece called Hands with a Hammer on (if memory serves) You Can't do that Onstage Anymore, Vol. 3, is astounding.

EDIT: heh :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bSZz4L40Pc
    (some pretty pithy language at the beginning - a put-on, methinks)

Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    edited June 2011
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Yes what version of it. I have heard 3 different ones of it on you tube. I can hear how it would be dynamic for sure!!! Good song to boot!
    Post #81 will answer that for ya'. Scroll up buddy. ^^^
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • erniejade
    edited June 2011
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Post #81 will answer that for ya'. Scroll up buddy. ^^^

out of print! LOL thanks!!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2011
    Options
    unc2701 wrote: »
    OK, general rule of thumb- you want pretty good dynamics, look for anything released in the early/mid-80's through about 90.

Not sure I agree, even as a rule of thumb. I have lots of stuff from late 50's on up that has incredible dynamics.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2011
    Options
    madmax wrote: »
    Not sure I agree, even as a rule of thumb. I have lots of stuff from late 50's on up that has incredible dynamics.

Some of the best recordings ever made - outstanding microphones, electronics, and very good tape machines and excellent cutting (mastering) lathes and electronics. Also, before multi-track and multi-mic'ing became practical and eliminated true stereo for multiple-mono :-P

All downhill after the early 1980s - at least in the mass-market arena.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited June 2011
    Options
    madmax wrote: »

I wasn't excluding recording outside that range, or claiming that everything recorded then had great dynamics.

However, I would say that the average dynamics of pop/rock recordings peaked in that period. The advent of CD's opened up some additional dynamic range for the studio engineers to explore, but starting in the early 90's the noise war began to kick in.

But don't take my word for it- mosey on over to:
    http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

Sort by year and you can see they dynamics going up, then someone hits the "suck" switch.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Sting: All This Time

The live recording, try the title song. An EXCELLENT example of a well-done live recording. When it starts and the horns hit the double note, it will wake you up~

I picked it up on amazon for $4.99 plus shipping....
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I always reach for:

Earth, Wind & Fire - "All 'n' All" - gold cd
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Let me see if I'm getting this,for me Annie lennox BARE is very good.Track 4 and 5 in particular, but the entire cd is good.Let me know what you think.Turn it up!!Dan
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Patricia Barber

Cafe' Blue

Track 9 Morning Grace & Track 11 Nardis

Fim HDCD 24k gold
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • victor. askew
    victor. askew Posts: 50
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Last nite I played 2 bits of music that I hadnt heard in years: Elton John: Mad man across the water, grt sounding recording, good but not his best music, Chicago live at Cargnie Hall: For this being a live recording that was made in 1971 it sounds damm good.:cool:
    Amps- Nakamichi PA 7 & PA 5.
    P Amp- Classie Audio. Nakamichi CA 5
    Tape- Tandberg 3014A.
    Tape- Nakamichi 600.
    CD Calif Audio Tercet 3.
    CD-Rotel 1078.
    Spkrs- Polk Audio RTI 150 Towers.
    Spkrs- ADS L1290 Towers.
    Spkrs- Yamaha- NS 670,NS 500m,NS 200m, NS 200ma
    NS 200ma hybrids.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I never "heard" a bad show at Carnegie Hall prior to the restoration that screwed the acoustics.

From various positions including the balcony, Turrentine, Milt Jackson, Bobbi Humphrey, The Persuasions, and The Mothers sounded superb. The accapella Persuasions probably benefited the most from the hall. A stand-out show.

It's a shame that more recordings made at that venue don't seem to be available.
  • VXR8
    VXR8 Posts: 291
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Agree with Steely Dan, but the most outstanding, on SACD Multi Channel is Depeche Modes Black Celebration, Music For The Masses and Violator. It is something I never tire of listening too. If you haven't heard any of these, do yourself a favour....
    Regards - Gaz from the land of Oz

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    Cambridge Audio - Azur 851C - CXUHD
    Polk Audio - Legend L800 - Legend L400 - Legend L900 - LSiM fx - OWM3
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Cambridge Audio - CXC S2 - CA752BD
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • gNarbowski
    gNarbowski Posts: 3
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'll give two of my favorites here. Allman Brother's-Live at the Fillmore 71 (pretty hard to find any live recording that comes close to the tenacity this album has in it.) Also a big fan of Derek Trucks Band - Songlines
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Has anyone checked out the Allmans Filmore 24-bit on hdtracks yet?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The first disc I pop in with new equipment is Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad (24K MFSL). But, I have to agree with many above that most of the Steely/Fagen stuff is great, especially the late recordings.

Allison Krauss & Union Station live in Atlanta is another excellent one.
    Robbie Robertson - Storyville
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Crosby, Stills, and Nash, self-titled, the whole album especially Wooden Ships. But the album that reached out and pulled me in and never let me out of my Polk Sda world was one I found in a trash heap in New Orleans, Erroll Garner's "Concert by the Sea."

I just picked up a Marantz 2230 in great shape, hooked up my phono to my Polk CRS+ with recently upgraded tweeters, and have been reliving my entire record collection which has been sitting in storage boxes. My new fancy Pioneer receiver while very good, has no phono inputs and rather than getting a questionable adapter, leapt at the chance to pick up the Marantz off Craigslist two nights ago.

I am taking note of all your suggestions and will seek them out! There is nothing better than well recorded music at home with a good dog and a cold beer, and a wife who hands me a lit cigar.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2011
    Options
    evhudsons wrote: »
    Crosby, Stills, and Nash, self-titled, the whole album especially Wooden Ships. But the album that reached out and pulled me in and never let me out of my Polk Sda world was one I found in a trash heap in New Orleans, Erroll Garner's "Concert by the Sea."

ooh, I have a dump-find copy of that as well! :-) Guess I should pull it out, clean it and give it a listen, eh?
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited July 2011
    Options
    If you turn down the lights, completely relax and close your eyes, just go through a few tracks and then you will feel you are right down with the audience by the sea listening to the man playing right behind your speakers.

Last night I was listening to David Brubeck, and a song stood out, "unsquare dance". It was just a quick but great for SDA song.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited July 2011
    Options
    [QUOTE=evhudsons;1606559

I just picked up a Marantz 2230 in great shape, hooked up my phono to my Polk CRS+ with recently upgraded tweeters, and have been reliving my entire record collection which has been sitting in storage boxes. My new fancy Pioneer receiver while very good, has no phono inputs and rather than getting a questionable adapter, leapt at the chance to pick up the Marantz off Craigslist two nights ago.

.[/QUOTE]

the 2230 is a sweet receiver...i've had a 2270 for years

mike
  • wingzam
    wingzam Posts: 201
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Supertramp Crime Of The Century was a great album.Great cover art too!
    Police and Sting always had great quality..

Never heard much difference with remasters...Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon for instance.To be sure i'll have to listen and compare again..and again..and again..
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Now that you mention it, I think MFSL released a remastered COTC early on. That was_ a great album.
  • wingzam
    wingzam Posts: 201
    edited July 2011
    Options
    evhudsons wrote: »
    If you turn down the lights, completely relax and close your eyes, just go through a few tracks and then you will feel you are right down with the audience by the sea listening to the man playing right behind your speakers.

Absolutely!
    I've always thought that light waves somehow interfered with sound waves.Yeah,I know it's supposedly just a matter of removing distractions,but it seems there's something else going on there.
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    edited September 2011
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    Telarc's Time warp. http://www.discogs.com/Erich-Kunzel-Cincinnati-Pops-Orchestra-Time-Warp/release/1416055
    By far the most dynamic disc in my collection.A real woofer torchure test in parts.

Based on this recommendation alone I bought this CD. What a pleasure listening to this. A great way to ease into classical, even though I'm kinda already there.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited September 2011
    Options
    wingzam wrote: »
    Absolutely!
    I've always thought that light waves somehow interfered with sound waves.Yeah,I know it's supposedly just a matter of removing distractions,but it seems there's something else going on there.

It has everything to do with removing visual stimuli from your listening experience. If you are staring at the speakers your mind associates the sounds coming from the two boxes in front of you to a certain degree. Turn off the lights, close your eyes you remove the visual stimulus of physically seeing the speakers and your mind can concentrate solely on the sounds and many times it's a different experience.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ROHfan wrote: »
    Based on this recommendation alone I bought this CD. What a pleasure listening to this. A great way to ease into classical, even though I'm kinda already there.

Thanks for the suggestion!

This is a classic. I remember that this was one of the first discs my father bought when he got our first cd player. That was about ~1985. Amazing that such an early generation of cd technology still holds up today as having such great sound. Great disc.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.