The most dynamic, well recorded music you have heard to date....

Options

Comments

• sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited June 2011
    Options
    mark knopfler 'sailing to philadephia'....jeff beck 'wired'....i too, am waiting for a remastered 'animals' from pink floyd..it's like a blanket over my sda's...and we can't have that
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads. Always is (and always will be) my reference CD.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • rubin
    rubin Posts: 565
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Andreas Vollenweider (and his harp) down to the moon. Close mic-ed very crisp,clear .
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads. Always is (and always will be) my reference CD.

The vinyl version of this is the best sounding live recording I've ever heard. I agree with the above Steely Dan comments, Pretzel Logic sounds very veiled on both vinyl versions I have but later stuff sounds great. The absolute most dynamic well recorded music I have heard to date (what the OP was asking for) for me, has to be Jennifer Warnes The Hunter on gold cd. Not my favorite genre, singer, music, or even format....not my favorite anything except it's recorded so well and is so dynamic, I go back to it again and again simply because it makes my whole system sound so good.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • mldennison
    mldennison Posts: 307
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I always pop in Telluride Sessions by Strength In Numbers when checking out something new. Just about everything by Allison Krauss (including the projects she produces) are top notch as well.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Michael Jackson "This Is It". Very dynamic music recording.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Evrythngmatters
    Evrythngmatters Posts: 187
    edited June 2011
    Options
    One of my favorites is Dire Straits & Mark Knopfler - The Best Of Private Investigations SHM-CD. Private Investigations around the 2:50 mark to the end of the song is just amazing for resolution. Always takes me to a far away place when listening to it.
    Everything matters. That is all.
    Money cannot buy happiness, but it sure can buy a bad **** boat to pull up along side it though.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Cowboy Junkies has some well recorded and dynamic Albums.

Trinity Sessions is an excellent recording.

Dada "Puzzle" Long time favorite.

How about Dave Brubeck "Take Five" The recording is raw and dynamic as all get out.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited June 2011
    Options
    +1 on the CJ's and "Take Five". Also anothe great Dave Brubeck is the OOP "Time In Outer Space", one of my favorites.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited June 2011
    Options
    A couple Madonna songs have been incredibly usefull and revealing about staging and spacial imaging. Frozen and The Power of Goodbye. Both seem to be well recorded, and continue to reveal weakpoints in my system that when fixed make everything sound better.

And another nod to Dire Straits, was great for setting up the subs, finding the right rolloff points so every guitar and base drum hit was impactfull and distinct.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• inson71
    inson71 Posts: 90
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The GRP and Denon recording labels from the 80s had some of the best recordings I ever heard if you are into jazz/fusion. Artists such as Billy Cobham, Elaine Elias, Bob Berg, Candy Dulfer,Dave Grusin and Dave Weckl had excellent sounding recordings.
    Onkyo Pr-sc 5509
    Parasound 2250/Parasound 5125
    SVS PB 12 Plus
    Denon DBP-2012 Bluray
    Polk RTI 8, CSI 3, 4 FXI 3
    Sony 55" LCD
  • Bababouey
    Bababouey Posts: 129
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I second Cafe Blue by Patricia Barber.. I am in love with it !!!!
    Go to amazon and order Muddy Waters Folk Singer for $7.00.
    You won't beieve how amazing that CD sounds.

Glen
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Posts: 1,313
    edited June 2011
    Options
    My favorite CD is "Dukes Big 4" by the one and only Duke Ellington on XRCD. Perfectly recorded and the tempo and style is sublime. What a wonderful piece of music!!

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Companion ~ Patricia Barber, 'Use Me' and 'Black Magic Woman' are stellar in dynamics for a live recording :smile:

Spirit of Eden ~ Talk Talk, huge dynamics, if you've never heard itbefore, they make you jump, crank it!

God is a Bullet ~ Concrete Blonde, Whoa girl :cool:, recorded like you were right there :smile:http://www.vevo.com/watch/concrete-blonde/god-is-a-bullet/USIRS0200006

An Inch Equals a Thousand Miles ~ Map of the World, 'Impenetrable You', startling dynamics, her voice and the band go from a whisper to a howl :biggrin:, good luck finding a copy tho, unbelievably rare unless your in MI.
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Try the Apollo 13 score by James Horner. It will put any system's dynamic capability and LF extention at its limits.
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Hawkeye wrote: »
    My favorite CD is "Dukes Big 4" by the one and only Duke Ellington on XRCD. Perfectly recorded and the tempo and style is sublime. What a wonderful piece of music!!

Gordon

I have the MFSL version of Jazz Party. Great stuff.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Posts: 1,313
    edited June 2011
    Options
    nspindel wrote: »
    I have the MFSL version of Jazz Party. Great stuff.

If your into "real" jazz and not contemporary, elevator jazz, I'd suggest looking into the XRCD collection Elusive Disc is offering. It is a collection of jazz fromt the 50's and 60's. It quite pricey, nearly $30 per CD but the last two are free if you subcribe to the collection.

I now have 15 of the CD's and they are on my regular playlist they are so well done. Granted, a few of the cuts reveal the limitations of the mic's and tape for the time but a very superb series of recordings. Highly recommended if your into real jazz!!

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)
  • victor. askew
    victor. askew Posts: 50
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Nspiudel: the remasters of the Pink Floyd Animals CD are due to be released this Nov/ Dec 2011. Only then will I be able to maybe find any fault in the present CD recording sound quality but as of today for me its as good or beter that most of the other stuff out there that I own or have heard. Aja by Steely Dan is also a gem that i can not get enough of. These guys knew what they were doing in the studio for sure.
    Amps- Nakamichi PA 7 & PA 5.
    P Amp- Classie Audio. Nakamichi CA 5
    Tape- Tandberg 3014A.
    Tape- Nakamichi 600.
    CD Calif Audio Tercet 3.
    CD-Rotel 1078.
    Spkrs- Polk Audio RTI 150 Towers.
    Spkrs- ADS L1290 Towers.
    Spkrs- Yamaha- NS 670,NS 500m,NS 200m, NS 200ma
    NS 200ma hybrids.
  • carwashguy
    carwashguy Posts: 131
    edited June 2011
    Options

Just got the Blue-ray and it is better than ever.
    Living Room
    LSi 15
    LSi7
    LSiC
    LSiFX
    2 EPIK Empire
    2 W4S Sx-1000
    Monster HTPS 7000 MKII
    Parasound 5250
    Onkyo PR-SC5508
    Oppo BDP-95
    Pro-Ject RM 1.3
    LG 55 LED

Bedroom
    RTi A7
    CSi A6
    FXi A6
    2 PSW 125
    Onkyo TX-NR1008
    Panasonic 60 Plasma
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. Please remember, this thread is about incredible dynamics combined with stellar recordings. Not favorites or something that just sounds good to you. There is a difference. Some of the suggestions are a little off the wall but there are some real nice suggestions in here and for that, I thank you again.

I went to Manifest today and purchased some of the suggestions. I love that joint. I walked out with only 52 smackers missing out of my pocket and I got;

Joe Walsh - The Confessor
    Joe Walsh - The Definitive Collection [Realized today that I didn't have "Life's been good to me so far"]
    Patricia Barber - Nightclub
    Spies - Telarc - By way of the World
    Patricia Barber - Companion
    John Lee Hooker - Specialty Profiles [2-disc]
    Madonna - Music [I can't believe I actually bought this....you guys better be right]

Some of these have been suggested and some have been work done by artists suggested. Even though the store is the size of a supermarket, most of the real good suggestions they did not have in stock. My plan is to buy every suggestion on this thread but it looks like I'll have to order most of them. Except for the one that's ultra-rare. That one, I'll just have to pray for. :biggrin:

I was really hoping they had this one...

31YS9QSKMYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg They did not. :frown:

Mark, I'll try to look and see if I can get this one...soon

levinson_live.jpg

This is the right one, correct?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited June 2011
    Options
    FZ has some scary-good recordings...
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Madonna - Ray of Light is better than Music, IMO

I always buy my used stuff (that I never find locally) thru Amazon Marketplace. I've had great luck getting stuff that is never in the used bins here.

That Patty Larkin cd is superb. I first heard it when Rich (SCompracer) brought a needle drop over for a demo.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nspindel
    edited June 2011
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    ...Madonna - Ray of Light is better than Music, IMO...

H9

+1 for Ray of Light
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Honorable mention:
    * Elton John - Madman Across the Water the song, SACD stereo
    - very nice dynamics, amazing clarity and some startling 'slam' on the drum mix

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • treitz3
    edited June 2011
    Options
    You mean I have to buy another Madonna CD? My neighbors and fellow audio buddies will throw me out of the room if they knew I had 3 Madonna CD's. Not good.

I'll go ahead and plop in "Music" now and see how she sounds.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,173
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Robert Cray - Little Boy Big
    Robert Cray - Will You Think of Me...both songs are from the Some Rainy Morning CD.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • fishbones
    fishbones Posts: 947
    edited June 2011
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    You mean I have to buy another Madonna CD? My neighbors and fellow audio buddies will throw me out of the room if they knew I had 3 Madonna CD's.

I almost threw you out of my house when you put on country! Luckily you redeemed yourself by pulling out AC/DC. :biggrin:
    ..... ><////(*>
  • treitz3
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Dude, I listen to everything but rap and opera. Well, that and Bette Midler.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Telarc's Time warp. http://www.discogs.com/Erich-Kunzel-Cincinnati-Pops-Orchestra-Time-Warp/release/1416055
    By far the most dynamic disc in my collection.A real woofer torchure test in parts.
  • nspindel
    edited June 2011
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    Telarc's Time warp. http://www.discogs.com/Erich-Kunzel-Cincinnati-Pops-Orchestra-Time-Warp/release/1416055
    By far the most dynamic disc in my collection.A real woofer torchure test in parts.

Awesome cd, I have it too. This was one of the first cd's my father ever bought when he bought our first cd player back in the 1980's.