The most dynamic, well recorded music you have heard to date....

Comments

• wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited September 2011
    i gotta stupid-o question relating to this thread. We all remember that the big Advantage of CDs over vinyl and/or tape was dynamic range. I remember hearing something like 95db(s) of usable dynamic range.

Ok, so as far as i remember, dynamic range was defined as the delta of the low quiet passages of music vice the loud (full) passages of music.

So back to the original question of this thread - and my question in particular; is dynamic range subjective or does has someone invented a "dynamic range meter". That is a method of actually measuring the actual objective dynamic range of some said recording.

I'm currently listening to Donald Fagen's song New Frontier. (which seems to have some very good dynamic range to me :smile:)

thanks,
    wayne

p.s. I'm really serious about if there is a way of measuring "dynamic range" of recorded music.
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited September 2011
    nspindel wrote: »
    Has anyone checked out the Allmans Filmore 24-bit on hdtracks yet?

I got this and really like it.It now makes about 10 copies of this darn thing but it's so good i keep getting them.the SHM is the only one i havent purchased.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited September 2011
    Any Steely Dan CD, I have read that they were very particular about the fidelity of their recordings.

+1 on Steely Dan. Particularly "Hey 19"

Also, Petty's "Wildflowers" is an increadible sounding disc. Clapton's "Pilgram" sounds great, but seems to really emphasize the bass. Will give your speakers low end a good workout (not pilates) :wink:
  • leadfoot1
    leadfoot1 Posts: 155
    edited September 2011
    I'm kind of a newb to this 2ch stuff but I really like sound of Stevie Ray Vaughn - In the Beginning CD and also The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over CD
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited September 2011
    wayne3burk wrote: »
    So back to the original question of this thread - and my question in particular; is dynamic range subjective or does has someone invented a "dynamic range meter".

It's definitely not a subjective thing as measurements could be made of a particular track, too see what the dynamic swing would be (in dB's). It's unfortunately more easy to hear when good dynamic range is absent. Every instrument will sound the same in level, instead of a more realistic difference in level--as we know, a triangle won't be as loud as a snare drum snap.

Overly loud (lacking dynamic range) recordings sound hashy, and distorted---all the subtlety is gone. EVERYTHING is unnaturally LOUD---and basically a blur of noise.

Listen to some samples on youtube--even through that poor fidelity medium, the squashed dynamics are easily heard. Notice how good dynamic range recordings highlight subtleties better, there's more silence between instruments, and it's simply more listenable and delineated (instruments easy to seperate by ear).
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • pietro944
    pietro944 Posts: 720
    edited September 2011
    Anything mastered by Bob Ludwig of Gateway Mastering in downeast,me.......no one better....listen to the mastering on some Mary Chapin Carpenter cd's.......masterful...no pun intended.
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited September 2011
    Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but:

Steely Dan: Two Against Nature

I'm a Steely Dan fan. I have used "Aja" and "Gaucho" as reference recordings for a long time... until I heard "Two Against Nature".

This album was recorded in a fidelity that was not possible when "Aja" and "Gaucho" were recorded, as good as they may be.

The dynamics, smoothness, clarity, punch, and overall badassness are unlike any recorded album I've put my ears on. Do yourself a favor and pick this one up if you don't already own it.

Personal favorite tracks:

- Gaslighting Abbie
    - What a Shame About Me
    - Janie Runaway
    - Almost Gothic
    - Negative Girl

Enjoy,

Ben
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited September 2011
    wayne3burk wrote: »
    ...is dynamic range subjective or does has someone invented a "dynamic range meter". That is a method of actually measuring the actual objective dynamic range of some said recording...

dynamic range = 100% objective; however, high dynamic range does not equal a good recording.

Ideally, any means of conveyance, whether it be vinyl, tape, cd, digital download, or otherwise, would impart the artist's original amount of dynamic range accurately.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited October 2011
    Audioslave's first album just rocked my world. I'd previously listened to a bit through the iPhone headphone jack, but just recently picked up the CD and was amazed at the difference! Much more so than other CD-iPhone comparisons!

To date it is easily the most amazing sounding album I have heard on my system. The guitar riffs are big, bold and defined and full of life as if they were playing in the room, the bass drum hits are tight, without the boominess I've heard on other recordings, and Chris Cornell's vocals are rich, warm and textured.

I have never heard Audioslave like this before. I can't listen to them on the radio, they sound like a different band!!
    This has suddenly become the reference to which all other music will be judged. Believe me, I'm furiously searching for it's better!
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited October 2011
    Roger Waters : Amused to death. will give any setup a sonic test.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2011
    rubin wrote: »
    Andreas Vollenweider (and his harp) down to the moon. Close mic-ed very crisp,clear .

That's one of his few that I don't have on vinyl but the cd isn't that bad.
    I also suggest Telarc recordings of live orchestral music.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2011
    Ideally, any means of conveyance, whether it be vinyl, tape, cd, digital download, or otherwise, would impart the artist's original amount of dynamic range accurately.
    Problem is vinyl is mechanically limited to ~50 dB. Open reel tape at 15 ips was king (at around 80 dB IIRC), but as another posted the CD's 95 dB dynamic range capability was originally its big claim to fame.

Issue is what genre takes full advantage of the CD's DR capability?

It ain't Rock... Rock is mostly 35 dB-ish

It ain't Jazz... but closer at 50-ish. (and Tricycle is more known for its impact than its dynamics)

It is Classical... but, please, not the 1812...

Try this...

5180QFZEPGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    edited October 2011
    +1 Steely Dan (Aja)
    vocalist Rachelle Farrel (Individuality)
    Stanley Clarke (Streets of Philadelphia?)
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    edited October 2011
    sorry wrong title, it should be:
    stanley clarke (I wanna play for you) not street of Phila
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• LuSh
    LuSh Posts: 887
    edited October 2011
    German speaker manufacture Mangers Test CD. Track 15 from O-Zone percussion group. Recorded on an open mic. I have never heard anything recorded as clean or dynamic. On Levinson gear it felt as if the drums were in the room. That is incredibly hard to accomplish. I found a YouTube link it playing a persons system. Note Track 15 is something like 8 minutes.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=CA#/watch?v=rt5RTQduQfc
  • CSM41
    CSM41 Posts: 55
    edited October 2011
    Allow me to add a few more:

Julian Lennon-Velotte
    Pure Prairie League-Bustin Out
    Supertramp-Cannonball
    Marshall Tucker Band-Self Titled
    #1 Pass F5/Dared Sl2000a/Nola Boxers/Basis Audio 1400/Audio Technica AT33EV Phono Cartridge/Cambridge Audio 640P-Hypno Modded/GF DAC09/CPU
    #2 Cayin A-50T /Hornshoppe Horns/Squeeze Box Touch/Simaudio Moon 100D DAC/Rythmic F12 Servo Sub
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    edited October 2011
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Good point, my bad. The one I have is off the Burmester Vorf*rungs CD III. Song #9. The* is actually a u with the two dots over it. I tried typing it a couple of days ago and it ended up being a question mark. The entire album is recorded well and if you get it, you will also have a unique drum track that's also about 10 minutes long. That one is called "Poem of Chinese Drums" by Yim Hok-Man.

Sorry about that.

Wow! Tom is so correct about these two particular cuts from the Burmester! I finally found my way into a copy and had the chance to set down today to listen. While all the cuts show the recording excellence that makes you understand why they picked them for a sampler, to show off their equipment, the depth and the fine detail of the african music cut is a show stopper.

Then you just get blown away on the following giant slam of the drum track! Holy mother of god! If you can't pressurize your room, then it's time to send your system back to Penney's and get some real man sized gear!

After listening to this I had to run errands and found myself still laughing about the impact of those drums an hour later. I had to call a friend that lives close and have him come by later. He was as wide eyed as me...especially as he happens to be a long time drummer himself!

Then after he left...I changed to a different preamp and listened to both cuts all the way through again! They just remind you of what well recorded music should sound like. And show you what the real attack, dynamic range and the ability to still show fine tonal detail can be, when it's on the track to begin with and your system has the get up and go to give it too you!

Zingo, you'll be pleased to know this was all well done with power by the single ended power of the Audio Electronics amp! SE can do that....that....THING!!!

Thanks for the recommendation of this CD Tom! It's going to be a show stopper for sometime to come!

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited October 2011
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Best recordings: Later Steely Dan (2 against Nature/Everything must go); any Donald Fagen
    Most dynamic range: George Michael "Faith"

GM/Faith!...indeed. I also have to say Prince/Purple Rain but my 80's @ss is a bit biased lol
    Too much **** to list....
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited October 2011
    Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads. Always is (and always will be) my reference CD.

Psycho Killer sounds so good loud.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited October 2011
    Another Madonna to consider is "The Immaculate Collection". If i'm not mistaken it's a Linear PCM format and the whole album will work your system, couple songs I don't care for but overall it's worth having.

Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" is great on CD or Vinyl.

Rush "Chronicles" Disc#2 is very good.

LOML has a Pet Shop Boys "Actually" LP and it definately has range.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2011
    gmcman wrote: »
    Psycho Killer sounds so good loud.

If you love the SMS CD, get your hands on the DVD sometime.... Out-friggin-standing...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited March 2012
    I wanted to add a Riuchi Sakamoto CD to this thread. It's his "Left Handed Dream" CD. This is one of the best sounding CD's I've ever heard. It was recorded in 1981 and sounds fantastic! I own the "international" version that is made in Holland on the Plexus label. Unfortunately, this CD is very hard to find though but welll worth the effort and money in locating. The track list is different than the Japanese version of the CD. There are 14 on the international version and 10 on the Japanese one. I prefer the Holland made one because the extra tracks are some of the best on the CD, IMO. Also, if you own SDA's this disc is one of the best, possibly the best SDA disc I've heard! Very highly recommended. Highlight tracks include:

Relache
    Living In The Dark
    The Left Bank (This song is outstanding!!)
    Once In A Lifetime

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • PreCd
    PreCd Posts: 786
    edited March 2012
    I never liked Taj Mahal until I listened to their album, Sacred Island. It is so well put together and I was impressed with their attention to the details of the music. One of the best recorded! A small list below:
    • Madonna: The Immaculate Collection
    • Son Seals: Lettin Go
    • SRV: Soul To Soul
    • Yucca Flats: Garden of Weeds
    SDA2BTL
    Marantz CD5004
    Adcom GFA-545
    Bottlehead Quickie Tube Preamp
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited March 2012
    PreCd wrote: »
    I never liked Taj Mahal until I listened to their album, Sacred Island. It is so well put together and I was impressed with their attention to the details of the music. One of the best recorded!

taj mahal is a man, not a group
  • PreCd
    PreCd Posts: 786
    edited March 2012
    Right. I refer to them as a group as one man does not make all that music. My point was that it is a very dynamic and well recorded album.
    sda2mike wrote: »
    PreCd wrote: »
    I never liked Taj Mahal until I listened to their album, Sacred Island. It is so well put together and I was impressed with their attention to the details of the music. One of the best recorded!

taj mahal is a man, not a group
    SDA2BTL
    Marantz CD5004
    Adcom GFA-545
    Bottlehead Quickie Tube Preamp
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited March 2012
    gotcha...taj is a multi-instumentalist:)
  • Denon Frank
    Denon Frank Posts: 130
    edited March 2012
    A couple of blu-ray live performances that sound great (I listen to the 2 channel versions):

John Mayer - Where the light is.
    Diana Krall - Live in Rio.
    Frank

Polk LSiM 703 mains on Skylan Stands
    Polk LSiM 704c center
    Polk FX500i surrounds
    Parasound 5250 Amp
    Oppo BDP-105 :smile:
    SVS PC Ultra tuned to 16hz
    Panasonic 65" Viera Plasma
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited March 2012
    Patricia Barber's Modern Cool MFSL SACD. Totally unreal how good this recording sounds. No wonder the vinyl version sells in the hundreds of dollars.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited March 2012
    This.....Solti/Dvorak: Symphony No. 9 "From the New World" with Chicago Symphony Orchestra :wink:

http://www.amazon.com/Dvorak-Symphony-No-New-World/dp/B0000041OQ
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2012
    Pretty much anything done by Mapleshade.

I am listening to classical now.
    http://mapleshaderecords.com/cds/11882.php

And, reggae is up next.
    http://mapleshaderecords.com/cds/06552.php
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.