Bike Show off Thread!

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,983
    I'll be looking into more as the cold temperatures arrive. It will give me something to do
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited October 2020
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    So, it was a big summer for people buying bikes, what did everybody get?!
    I sold my aluminum Cannondale CAAD5 road bike a little while back in hopes of finding a deal on a carbon fiber. That didn't happened. So... another Summer gone by and I didn't ride as much as I wanted. I did get out on the walking/riding trail walking with the family and riding my ATB some.
    fkjjqxfb5pxp.jpg

At the end of Summer, I did find a great deal on a Cannondale CAAD9 to replace the CAAD5. Its a great bike and about as good at it gets for aluminum. I think I'll have this until a deal on a carbon comes along.
    si9bjrsfrmzz.jpg

Here's my Specialized Hardrock ATB.
    64c4w3rtozgm.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Willow
    edited October 2020
    Sorry it was a liv tempt I bought her....not the bliss and that was cad!
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,289
    edited June 8
    Coming full circle with this thread.

Oh how life changes. When I made this thread I was in Newport in Navy department head school, not yet married, riding my road bikes 300-400 miles a week. 5 years later, marrried, living in Virginia with a 9 month old.

Wouldn’t change it for the world, but no longer do I have time to ride 100 miles a week like I used to, in fact I haven’t been on my Canyon Ultimate in at least a year. I’ve always enjoyed biking, and wanted to find a way to integrate biking into my everyday life.

So I’ve committed cycling blasphemy and bought a damn e-bike. This is a Specialized Haul ST, a utilitarian, cargo/commuter bike hybrid. Cooper loves going for rides on the back and this will be my grocery getter and errands runner rather than getting in my truck for every little errand.

m9lvts9bhlln.jpeg
    znxecpr6ltqb.jpeg
    ktqtrwvhcpxx.jpeg
    h1qo0dbyypgd.jpeg

2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Willow
    You are out riding. Who cares what it's on plus you're spending time with your son.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,642
    I built up a new bike this spring:

y2haj8kvka4u.jpeg

Transition Smuggler Carbon.

Turned the Stumpjumper EVO into a “I want to smash my way down the mountain” type of bike.

The Smuggler is more of a “I need to be more careful of my line choice” type of bike.
  • Willow
    I'll need to take pics of the new bikes and the upgrades to the old ones
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    My friend just restored this one from a yard sale.
    15 speed conversion...

9jy2oa90iak1.jpg
    o6ntxuy41xdr.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,630
    edited June 11
    I sold this off a about 10 years back and still regret it:
    88q6fqxkowkb.jpg
    ghv39s52ga5i.jpg

1988 year model, made in Japan, spline triple butted Cr-Mo steel. That was the year I graduated High School.
    Now I have some average aluminum Rocky Mountain 27.5" mountain bike. I think it is a Soul 20 in hunter green. Not worth taking photos, but here is a stock photo of it...
    Web_MY22_Soul_20_C1_Profile_1_ccf842a5-6a84-4fd2-af6b-2a8105df2b9b.jpg?v=1717615682&width=2800

For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • stangman67
    I built up a new bike this spring:

y2haj8kvka4u.jpeg

Transition Smuggler Carbon.

Turned the Stumpjumper EVO into a “I want to smash my way down the mountain” type of bike.

The Smuggler is more of a “I need to be more careful of my line choice” type of bike.

Badass! Love me a burly off road machine

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,579
    lol….. I wish my bike was as nice as some of these.

I will just settle for having one that doesn’t break down on my daily 20 mile rides lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • stangman67
    I did something very bad.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    Lol, post it. You're among friends here. We'll brainstorm stories for you to explain to the Mrs., or help you with ideas on how to hide it.
    I disabled signatures.
  • stangman67
    edited July 14
    Already told her. There’s no hiding it. Will come in a big bike shaped box lol.

Need to get back on a bike bad. Haven’t ridden consistently in years and the waist line shows it. Up a good 25 pounds since I returned from deployment in 2020. About time to fix that. My Canyon is a full on race geometry bike and hopping straight back to that is a terrible idea not to mention my **** is over the weight limit for the carbon wheelset at the moment.

So ordered a more relaxed geometry gravel bike last night. This is a bit of an unknown, brand is called Superior, well known in Europe and Czech made, direct to consumer model here in the US. Price is very very competitive for what you get so why the hell not. Carbon, 1x11 GRX groupset, GRX Hydraulic Discs, wicked good looks IMO

92qt54xducxp.jpeg

Post edited by stangman67 on

• TexasLS90
    TexasLS90 Posts: 1
    Picked up a used Aethos a few months back. This bike is amazing.
    abmbrbeqzz8m.jpg
  • Willow
    My eyes......my eyes are burning with these pics of bikes with no suspension...lol
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,140
    First bike build I attempted.
    My 1979 Centurion.

iphc4wxghsyb.jpeg
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    "I attempted"
    Is there more to this story?
    I disabled signatures.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,140
    Never built a bike before.
    Turned out very well.

No more to the story.
  • Upstatemax
    Thanks to a 2”x8”x16” soaking wet (heavy as hell) pressure treated board slipping and falling 5’ down onto my foot, edge first, I’m off the bike for at least 6 weeks.

Mountain biking, probably longer.

u2tk8tbz9du9.jpeg

Ended up fracturing a metatarsal. Thankfully, that all I did.

Now I get to sit and stare at my brand new mountain bike for months, just hanging in the garage.

The gravel bike will get the first action as I build my endurance and foot back up for trail riding.
  • Willow
    Oh man that sucks. Hope you heal well and fast.
  • Upstatemax
    Because this website is such a pile of crap, I can't correct my own post.

I was a 2"x8"x16' board.

A 16" board is not that impressive... :D
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    edited July 27
    Because this website is such a pile of crap, I can't correct my own post.

I was a 2"x8"x16' board.

A 16" board is not that impressive... :D

I resisted calling you a sissy, it was super hard.....
    I then thought about telling you to just zip tie that boot to the clip on spud, but I couldn't live with myself if a 16" board did that damage to your foot that damn zip tie would probably amputate your damn foot.....

You welcome!!
  • stangman67
    Well the Gravel bike didn’t work out. I got ahold of the company a few weeks after the pre order was supposed to ship and turns out they don’t know when the shipment is arriving so they cancelled their order. So I went a different route and bought a more endurance oriented road bike.

Say hello to Ginger. A BMC Roadmachine Four with SRAM Rival AXS, SRAM hydro discs, and I added a very lightweight set of 45mm carbon wheels. Weights in about 17.5 which ain’t bad for an endurance aero oriented bike.

o0xoa9atouck.jpeg

• Upstatemax
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Well the Gravel bike didn’t work out. I got ahold of the company a few weeks after the pre order was supposed to ship and turns out they don’t know when the shipment is arriving so they cancelled their order. So I went a different route and bought a more endurance oriented road bike.

Say hello to Ginger. A BMC Roadmachine Four with SRAM Rival AXS, SRAM hydro discs, and I added a very lightweight set of 45mm carbon wheels. Weights in about 17.5 which ain’t bad for an endurance aero oriented bike.

o0xoa9atouck.jpeg

Very nice!

What tire size did you go with?

The Conti GP5000's that looks like are installed are great tires. I went back to them on my gravel bike, I installed the 32mm Gp5000 AS TR version.

I only got a few rides on them before I broke my foot, but it was great to be back on the GP5000 platform after running the TerraSpeed tires for a season.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,931
    Stunning bike Zach
  • stangman67
    Thanks gents.

The tires are 28C GP5000 of the normal folding clincher variety, not running tubeless. I likely would have gone 30’s if they were available in this particular transparent style. Had GP4000’s on my Canyon, no reason to get anything else IMO

• Willow
    Just added the 2023 Trek Fuel EX8 to my list. It's been upgraded already. Running cushcore in the rear, oneup carbon bar, ergon saddle and grips. Bomber CR coil rear and on the way a Bomber Z1. Behind it is my son's 2020 Trance it was mine but I wanted and needed a large bike and he needed a Med. Fully upgraded nothing is stock except the frame. Behind that is now my wife's Polygon Sisku t7 which was my son's. The two hardtails, the Liv is my wife's old one and soon to go to my daughter, which has been fully upgraded too and the Norco is my daughter's soon to be up for sale and again it has been fully upgraded.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,630
    Willow wrote: »
    Just added the 2023 Trek Fuel EX8 to my list. It's been upgraded already. Running cushcore in the rear, oneup carbon bar, ergon saddle and grips. Bomber CR coil rear and on the way a Bomber Z1. Behind it is my son's 2020 Trance it was mine but I wanted and needed a large bike and he needed a Med. Fully upgraded nothing is stock except the frame. Behind that is now my wife's Polygon Sisku t7 which was my son's. The two hardtails, the Liv is my wife's old one and soon to go to my daughter, which has been fully upgraded too and the Norco is my daughter's soon to be up for sale and again it has been fully upgraded.

I never thought of Ottawa as a full suspension mountain biking territory, but I was just looking at the terrain maps then I saw how rugged it gets going north into Quebec. Nice collection.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...