Bike Show off Thread!

Options

Comments

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    That is a sexy bike. I like the mechanical groupset, seems like everything these days is di2 or etap. I had someone ask me today why in the hell I didn’t get di2 on my Canyon. Guess I haven’t had the come to Jesus moment with di2 yet. Never even ridden an electronic bike, have never seen the need for it. The extra 2500 bucks for di2 and hydro discs just didn’t seem worth it to me.

Also today’s marks 30 days with the canyon. I put 320 miles on it over that time. I guess I must really like it :)
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Just put a new rack on the bike. Oops maybe this is the wrong thread! :)
    bksxggz7nxbn.jpeg
    And replaced the battery!
    a5x2udmv6xn9.jpeg
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    That is a sexy bike. I like the mechanical groupset, seems like everything these days is di2 or etap. I had someone ask me today why in the hell I didn’t get di2 on my Canyon. Guess I haven’t had the come to Jesus moment with di2 yet. Never even ridden an electronic bike, have never seen the need for it. The extra 2500 bucks for di2 and hydro discs just didn’t seem worth it to me.

Also today’s marks 30 days with the canyon. I put 320 miles on it over that time. I guess I must really like it :)

Glad you’re loving the Canyon!

They were very much on my short list, but I simply could not get over the weird bar setup for the carbon Grail bikes. I thought about the endurance series but I just wanted a bit more flexibility.

I just kept coming back to the RLT as the bike that simply got done what I wanted done. I got this one for a great price and the mechanical Ultegra setup is flawless. This one came with the new RX clutched rear derailleur and it’s awesome. Super stable and smooth shifting.

I will say, I LOVE hydro brakes...

The modulation and power is awesome. But I also come from a mountain bike background so I’m simply used to them.

I got back on the mountain bike (Jet 9 RDO) tonight and it was a rude awakening to how different mountain and road biking really is. I’ve been on the road since I crashed a month ago. It messed up my wrist more that I a anticipated and I did not want to push it too early on the mountain.

It did feel good to let loose a bit and get air borne though!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,600
    Options
    Bought a brand new bike today!

ddsga4lru99v.jpg

Specialized CrossTrail – Hydraulic Disc
  • stangman67
    Options
    Nice! Get those miles in

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • stangman67
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I need to get off my fat **** and get some miles in. I fell short of 400 for the month of August. Getting married next weekend won’t be biking for a few days. Gotta find the motivation to get going today

• Clipdat
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Yeah, I'm eager to start riding it. After not being on a bike in several years I forgot how fun it is to ride, but all of that came back within the first 30 seconds of riding. An amazing, but inherently indescribable feeling.

Unfortunately a side effect of not being on a bike in so long is that my "saddle region"/sit bones are super sore and painful today just from the hour or so of test rides yesterday. Yikes. Was looking forward to riding today or tomorrow but gonna have to give it another day or two.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Get fit for a new saddle.

Ergon and Specialized are very good options and make a ton of difference.
  • stangman67
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Yea man, saddles are a very “personal” choice to both the **** bones and sensitive regions. A good fitting saddle and nice pair of bike shorts (with chamois) will make a world of difference. I personally rode prologos, I just bought an Ergon for my fiancé as she is having issues with her current saddle

• Clipdat
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys! The current saddle that it came with is this one: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/canopy/p/157221?color=231864-157221

Looks like it's their cheapest offering from the line, which could explain it's comfort or lack thereof.

I have a gel seat cover that I will try with it first for a bit, but will happily replace it if that doesn't work either.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Rick, that is simply the best possible way to go to a friends house to enjoy a couple of drinks...

My wife is going to be so mad.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    If that was a single speed, I would be OUT!

But I saw that derailleur from a million miles away.

Throw some wide range 1x on it and cruise, with a pack full of beers!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,574
    Options
    Rick88 wrote: »
    On second thought, that one appears NOT to be a single speed.

yea that thing has a heck of a gear box. At first I looked at it and thought geesh those crank arms are way too short. Then I enlarged and seen it might as well have a transmission lol
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Had my first experience with chainsuck. I ended my trail ride and was on my way back to the vehicle. Went down a little hill and on the way back up the other side my gears stopped working and then crunch. Walked the bike back and headed home. It took some major chunks out of my chainstay near the front chainring. Luckily it's black so I touched it up with a sharpie. I am missing 2 teeth on my casette on different cogs. Time to start shopping for a new 11/46 cassette and a new chain.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    When was the last time you serviced the freehub?

I’ve seen slow freehub cause a lot of chainsuck.

As for the chain and cassette, Shimano 11 speed?
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    For my Shimano 11 speed mountain bike, I like to run an XT 11-42 cassette then I put on a Wolf Tooth Giant Cog 45 tooth conversion.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/drivetrain-1/products/45t-gc-cog-for-shimano-11-speed?variant=17741449477

You can usually get the GC conversion for cheaper on Amazon.

MUCH better shifting into the granny gear than the 11-46 Shimano cassettes, plus I retain my 42 tooth cog that I really like for a lot of technical climbing.

For the chain, I vastly prefer XT/Ultegra chains to the SLX/105 chains. The surface treatment that’s used on the XT sheds grime during rides SO MUCH better!

Shedding the grime helps to maintain better shifting and wears less on components like the cassette and chainring.

Speaking of, how is your chainring looking?
  • Willow
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    When was the last time you serviced the freehub?

I’ve seen slow freehub cause a lot of chainsuck.

As for the chain and cassette, Shimano 11 speed?

It is a Shimano 11/46 cassette. Come to think of it I have not serviced the freehub. it is a year old. Perhaps it is time.
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    For my Shimano 11 speed mountain bike, I like to run an XT 11-42 cassette then I put on a Wolf Tooth Giant Cog 45 tooth conversion.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/drivetrain-1/products/45t-gc-cog-for-shimano-11-speed?variant=17741449477

You can usually get the GC conversion for cheaper on Amazon.

MUCH better shifting into the granny gear than the 11-46 Shimano cassettes, plus I retain my 42 tooth cog that I really like for a lot of technical climbing.

For the chain, I vastly prefer XT/Ultegra chains to the SLX/105 chains. The surface treatment that’s used on the XT sheds grime during rides SO MUCH better!

Shedding the grime helps to maintain better shifting and wears less on components like the cassette and chainring.

Speaking of, how is your chainring looking?

I'll take a look at the WT giant Cog conversion. Now that you mention it, when my daughter was playing with my bike while on the repair stand I thought I had noticed my chainring looking a little off. Looks like I'll need to take a closer look and perhaps order another one too. At the end of the days looks like a ~200$ repair job.

• Upstatemax
    Options
    The joys of owning bikes!

Honestly, as soon as I get a new bike or rear wheel/hub, I pull the freehub off and re-lubricate it. They never get the proper treatment from the factory. The best I’ve seen was my I9 wheels, but they use the lite oil and I prefer an actual grease. Longer lasting and quieter freehubs.

I use this:

https://www.backcountry.com/dumonde-tech-pro-x-freehub-grease?skid=DMD000D-ONECOL-S1OZ&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6RHVtb25kZSBmcmVlIGh1YjoxOjM6RHVtb25kZSBmcmVlIGh1Yg==

That tiny container goes a LONG way.

My supply has done at least 6 freehubs and I still have half of it left. I use a small “art paint brush” set to apply it.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Went on a nice relaxing ride before meeting the family for dinner, one of the paths leads to one of the hydroelectric plants near me.

Relaxing place to just enjoy a few minutes!

5by3xg4kt6ik.jpeg
  • verb
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm eager to start riding it. After not being on a bike in several years I forgot how fun it is to ride, but all of that came back within the first 30 seconds of riding. An amazing, but inherently indescribable feeling.

Unfortunately a side effect of not being on a bike in so long is that my "saddle region"/sit bones are super sore and painful today just from the hour or so of test rides yesterday. Yikes. Was looking forward to riding today or tomorrow but gonna have to give it another day or two.

Cycling pants for sure my man! And, it takes a few weeks for your butt to break in! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Options
    Our campus just announced that they will replace all of the Zagster bikes with their very own Ariv e-bike! We can use these to pedal (or not) around campus (which is literally one square mile)
    kixxqavrevj7.png
    Gone!
    a84xj3nev2lj.png

• Willow
    Options
    For those who have, if looking at a used bike, how old of a bike should I look at. I'm trying to figure out where the best price point would be coupled with the newest geo and specs.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Mountain or road? Full suspension/hardtail? Gravel?

Road biking geo and technology is largely similar over the past 8-10 years. So getting something 5 years old that has been taken care of is a great idea. Definitely a good idea to get groupsets from the last two generations though. For example The two most recent iterations of the 105 groupset for example is better than Duraace from 8-10 years ago. Other than that electronic group sets and hydro discs are the real only technological advances

Mountain biking geometry has changed radically recently with long and slack taking over for pretty much everything that isn’t a dedicated XC race bike.

• Willow
    Options
    Sorry, it is for fullsus. I was thinking 2-3 yrs old? trail for my wife and probably enduro for me.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    The newer the better...

Trail and enduro geometry and general set up has changed A LOT the last few years.

What is your budget?

This time of year you can pick up brand new bikes for awesome deals.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Yea I’d say that’s a safe timeframe to look at. 2015/2016 and up should have the modern geo and 1x setups. Not too much has changed since then

• Upstatemax
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »

Mountain biking geometry has changed radically recently with long and slack taking over for pretty much everything that isn’t a dedicated XC race bike.

Even XC racing rigs are getting slacker and more aggressive.

Not uncommon to see 68ish degree HT angle, 120mm forks, longer chainstays...
  • Willow
    Options
    looking at about 2k each give or take for a used one.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,147
    Options
    3vbxz93f4c3f.jpg
    860ou4iep9k2.jpg
    n8e1lusqc4jq.jpg
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman