Bike Show off Thread!

Options

Comments

• Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,147
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »

Front Fox shox…..very nice. I ran Fox shox on my '91 GSX-R race bike!!
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    Here is my Goodwill Special that actually rides quite nicely:
    u2ppwslb2uei.jpeg
    Have been eyeing a Felt FX30 on Ebay and a couple of Trek Checkpoint gravel bikes.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    I’ve done something VERY out of character...

I actually traded in a bike to fund a new bike project! Usually I just keep them and add to my collection.

I traded the Air 9 RDO for a Salsa Timberjack frame and Fox 34 Factory fork at a local dealer.

The new Fox will be going on the Jet 9 RDO and the Pike that’s on it now will find a new home on the Timberjack.

I have pretty much the rest of the bike sitting around in parts so that will also clean up some bike clutter!

Bye old friend:

y47nhcfo3jp1.jpeg
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    The new Timberjack is awesome!

qjwlbe59cmtt.jpeg

Super playful bike that climbs like a goat. The new Fox 34 for the Jet 9 is still on its way, but I stripped the Pike anyway so that I could ride the Timberjack this weekend.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    I’m looking for some advice on a possible new “comfort” bike. We went on a trip to northern Idaho with two other couples to do the Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes (paved) and the Hiawatha Trail (compacted gravel). Had a great time, but my wrists and neck were hurting after a couple hours each day. I think I need to get a more upright riding position either by getting a high-rise handlebar for my ancient Specialized Crossroads or by getting a bike designed for that. I’m looking at one of the Specialized Roll models or something similar. I will be doing more of the same kind of riding, mostly paved paths and rail-to-trail routes. Thanks for any suggestions.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    I would suggest a good bike fitting. Get yourself to a shop that has a GOOD bike fitter.

Did you ride your Crossroads in Idaho? Because it looks like that bike already has a pretty high rise bar setup...

Honestly, a drop bar handlebar that can give you multiple hand positions to change up your position throughout the ride might help a lot.

Flat bars are great for mountain bikes, road and gravel should absolutely have drop bars.

Also, work on your flexibility in general. It goes a long way when you take just a little time to stretch, daily.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Went out on another ride this afternoon on the Timberjack. So much fun to ride.

I was reminded of why I love to ride, it just shut down large parts of my brain and I just get to focus on riding.

After putting my beloved dog down this morning, it gave me a moment to just enjoy a clear mind for a brief moment.

I simply could not sit home anymore looking at an empty spot in my home. I have a lot to get used to.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    First off my condolences to you and the family for your loss and very difficult decision.

I feel the same when I go riding. When I'm on the trails I forget about everything that exists, past and future. It's pretty much the only time where I am in the NOW. Sad to say but true.
  • maxward
    Options
    Does anyone have experience repainting your bikes? If so, has anybody tried the spray.bike products? I’m thinking of a winter project for my old bike.
  • Upstatemax
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Not personally, but GCN (YouTube channel) has a great video on it.

I’m contemplating painting my daughters bike for her. It’s a hand me down Specialized from her sister that she is not in love with thanks to the color...
  • maxward
    Options
    Thanks. Looks like a lot of useful videos. I’m interested in doing some graphics while I’m at it and hoping that there are some tips about that process in there.
  • Willow
    Options
    This melted my heart.
    From my 6 year old daughter
    6spw2l5llhdm.jpg
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    That time of year is here again...

I picked up a Tacx Neo 2 trainer a few weeks ago to start my indoor riding season. Overall I’m very happy with it!

Instructions are pretty lame and the thru axle setup is stupid as can be, but it works.

Using it with Zwift has been a breeze and I like it a lot more than the Kickr Core that I spent a lot of time on last year. The virtual flywheel is awesome. With the Kickr products, if you let off the pedals for even a few moments you could feel that you had to get their large flywheels moving again. The descent “boost” for the flywheel on the Neo 2 is also really nice since it basically mimics gravity.
  • licmarcos
    Options
    If you got something you’re trying to get rid of, let me know
  • Willow
    Options
    Garage emptied to fit both vehicles in. Bikes are in the basement for the next 6 months :'(
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    Options
    01w1j2dnuaoj.jpeg

My modified Felt!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    licmarcos wrote: »
    If you got something you’re trying to get rid of, let me know

I have a noose I am not using. It's all yours.
  • Willow
    Options
    Just bought my daughter a new to her ghost power kids 24. Very sweet bike for a 7 year old
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    Just bought my daughter a new to her ghost power kids 24. Very sweet bike for a 7 year old

Nice!

I just got all the stuff in to convert my daughters 6 speed grip shift Specialized to a 7 speed trigger shifter set up. I seriously don’t understand why they keep fitting kids bikes with grip shifters!

I have yet to see a kid that can use them easily!

• Willow
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »

Nice!

I just got all the stuff in to convert my daughters 6 speed grip shift Specialized to a 7 speed trigger shifter set up. I seriously don’t understand why they keep fitting kids bikes with grip shifters!

I have yet to see a kid that can use them easily!

I agree. My son's Trek was awful. Bought a Sram quick shift and converted his to a 1x no issues for him. My daughter's Norco was tough too to twist the grips, I didn't do anything to the bike except give her metal pedals as I knew she'd be moving to a 24" bike. Not sure what I will do with the Ghost, new platform pedals, she said she had no issues changing the gears with the grips yesterday so I'll see. I may venture into converting hers to a 1x but most likely winter of 2020/2021 (give me something to do).
  • Cyclesberuff
    Options
    This my Serotta I've had for years
    Rides great, lighter than a 703 speaker
    Primaluna Dialogue Premium Tube Amp
    Polk Audio LSiM705
    Marantz 6006 cdp... 500gb flash drive
    Audiolab m-dac
    Analysis Plus Oval 9 Speaker Cable
    Analysis Plus Oval One I/C's
  • Willow
    Options
    Just bought my wife a Liv Tempt 3. It will be shipped by end of the week. It's not a high end bike by any means but it is womens specific and it'll beat her 17 yr old Giant Boulder. I bought the 3 because I got an amazing deal on it (2018) and because I have all the parts lying around to basically make it a Tempt 1 without spending any more $. This will help her gain more confidence and be more comfortable. In a couple years when our daughter is older she can inherit the bike.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited March 2020
    Options
    cxvrr1o9jbi6.jpg
    l6acbv4tjz2i.jpg
    dg8l7jusbrl5.jpg
    SE Quadangle from 1983'ish. It's Renyolds 531 tubing and cromoly forks. I was sponsored by SE through a local dealer and rode PK Rippers exclusively until I had a chance to switch to the quad. I really loved this quad set up stiff and lite as heck. This frame and fork is only 6lbs. I burn up yhe tracks with this bad boy taking home 1st in my 17 and over divison. Fun times for sure !
    I raced this frame for a few years before I went completely nuts and full time skate park and street riding. This frame only had about a year of street before I road Haro bikes and frames full time. The first was a Blammo for a number of years until I bought my 1999 Dave Mirra Haro Pro set up. My last was a 2003 Dave Mirra pro set up.
    My plan with the Quad is to bead blast and powder coat a new coat of baby blue stick a axle in the forks and hang on the wall with a few other frames from the good ol'days of past.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    That's cool Ivan! I would however, leave the patina, it tells a story! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    patina

HEY!!! WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!!!
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Yeah, I left my old steel Stumpjumper beaten up. It tells a story!
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Got out on the Timberjack today. Put the 29ers on it from the Jet 9 and it was a great ride!

rw4sb7wew95v.jpeg
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    So, it was a big summer for people buying bikes, what did everybody get?!

I picked up an Ibis Ripley V4 to replace the Jet 9 RDO:

kjspggnesc10.jpeg
    wm532ksaxtgj.jpeg

I also rebuilt the Timberjack as a rigid bike, more for biking around the neighborhood with the kids or tame trails to keep up with the dog:

lw8b0ur5e1v1.jpeg

I put the Whiskey No.9 Boost carbon fork on it and I love how it rides. Super efficient and light, also a great way to keep up on skills I get lazy with on squishy bikes.

• Willow
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I didn't get anything. My daughter got a Ghost 24" (upgraded pedals, stem and bars going 1x in the winter), my wife got a Liv Bliss (killer deal at 350$) It has since been upgraded with a 120mm Raidon fork, 1x \ and ks lev dropper and some rockbros platform pedals. It's her getting back into it bike. I'm going to wait until the spring and try to snag a covid deal in the used market, so many overbought bikes and I will take advantage of this when they go to sell. I'll be looking for a new bike for my son and work on it over the winter most likely a small 27.5.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    For your son, the Salsa Timberjack platform is awesome. If you’re fine with bike building, the frame only is very reasonable and can be set up with multiple wheel and drivetrain options.

I’m contemplating moving to a large sized frame and rebuilding the medium frame I have for my daughter.