50 year anniversary r200 signed by matt polk

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    edited December 2022
    Not sorry, that guy is an a$$.
    Post edited by F1nut on
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Zero difference to the standard R200?
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    edited December 2022
    Boy, that guy girl zooming in and out in the review is irritating.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • F1nut
    Braddles63 wrote: »
    Zero difference to the standard R200?

There is a difference. The crossover is upgraded on the AE.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »

Sorry i meant that there is Zero sound difference according to his review.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Take everything that guy or his wife says with a grain of salt.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,969
    If your system is not resolving you honestly won't hear the difference in... Pretty much anything
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    BUT MAH MEASHURMNTS WERE TEH SAAAAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111one
  • VR3
    I do plan to plug mine up sometime early next week! I think haha
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited December 2022
    The ultimate comparison test for Youtube reviewers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeXJFHDxiMg
  • Braddles63
    Braddles63 Posts: 184
    edited December 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTJxF2ktLLk&t=375s

The same guy says in the conclusion of his review of the standard R200 that its better than the Legend? (920min).
    Lucky im not relying on his opinion to buy anything. :D
    Post edited by Braddles63 on
  • F1nut
    F1nut wrote: »

Sorry i meant that there is Zero sound difference according to his review.

Like I said, he's an a$$.

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    VR3 wrote: »
    I do plan to plug mine up sometime early next week! I think haha
    Tease
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Yeah, "promises, promises"....

Slacker....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Aye carumba
  • treitz3
    TBT? You are slacking on this one.

(I know why)

But still....

Yo' azz such a damned tease to those who want A REVIEW!!!!

Dang. I'll step out now and let Trey explain himself....(slacker) :D

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    gzcyqj6gp2w7.jpg
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTJxF2ktLLk&t=375s

The same guy says in the conclusion of his review of the standard R200 that its better than the Legend? (920min).
    Lucky im not relying on his opinion to buy anything. :D

I remember watching this before. What an idiot. The R200’s are good speakers but they are not better than the L200’s. He is a clown.
  • VR3
    Sounds pretty good watching Stargate!

4nu68t72lhbh.jpg
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    High performance bookshelf speakers may be in my future… I’m following this thread like white-on-rice

My listening space is not that large. Which is why I sold my 2.3 TL ‘s.
    My room is approx. 12 x 19 with the rig on the long wall and 3 doorways. The 3 openings seem to be the key to me being able to use larger speakers. The Salk HT2-TLs are great. I love them. Just experimenting with bookies.

I started out with a 2B Studios which were perfect in retrospect. But I kept going up the Polk line and even though every larger speaker brought more to the table, the larger speakers also took some attributes away

I am shocked that the very large speakers that Tom acquired don’t sound “stifled / out of place”

I’m think’n room treatments may be in order
    treitz3 wrote: »
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Mornin' to ya' GlennDog! The room dimensions are 13x15, with the rig setup on the short wall. There is a bathroom behind the listening position (walled off obviously) that I keep the door open too while listening that adds another 8x13 of volume. This helps tame the lower frequencies a bit, so they don't quickly overload the room. All ceilings in this area are 8 feet high.

Tom

sooo . . . the recently run-in Zebras . . . Buchardt S400 MK ll SE is a heavy hitter and we should have a shoot out at Troy’s 2023 PF
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    treitz3 wrote:
    Mornin' to ya' GlennDog! The room dimensions are 13x15, with the rig setup on the short wall. There is a bathroom behind the listening position (walled off obviously) that I keep the door open too while listening that adds another 8x13 of volume. This helps tame the lower frequencies a bit, so they don't quickly overload the room. All ceilings in this area are 8 feet high.
    GlennDog wrote:
    I am shocked that the very large speakers that Tom acquired don’t sound “stifled / out of place”

I gotta be honest here, so am I. They just fit right on in though. Generally speaking on all types of genre's, the sound stage width is about the same, depth has increased and is also more noticeable, height definitely increased (not because of the height of the speakers....the "lead singer" sings dead nuts at my TT height) and the center image is solid as a rock, to where I can look at the TT and think that it's actually a speaker, because of the spatial locationality cues.

The only arena to where the size of the room gets restrictive, is when it gets overloaded. It's so loud at that point, one would want to turn it down though. There is usually enough bass in the room at that point to loosen screws around the house. In other words, it is simply too loud.

If one listens and was blindfolded before they walked into the room, they wouldn't be able to really detect that they were in a smaller room than conventional wisdom would think that these speakers would need. This, at normal to chest thumping and pleasing listening levels. Not crumble the foundation to the ground, insane levels.

Could I get them louder in a bigger room? Absolutely. Do I need too? Not at all. Would it add anything to the experience? I doubt it, slight changes only. I have heard the Linbrooks/Rythmik's in a vastly larger room (at Carverfest) and about the only thing I enjoyed more about that experience was that you could sit 10 or 15 feet further back, with the back wall 10 feet past that.

As far as having a shoot of bookies at Polkfest this year? I think that should be mandatory. That's a GREAT idea!

Tom

• VR3
    edited December 2022
    So I listened to music and watched Stargate last night...

Fresh out of the box... Having been listening to the Wilson monitors literally moments before... Keeping in mind the Wilson's Msrp is 13k, 10 years ago...

The Polks sound great, they do have some congestion in the midrange and the bass is a little bloated

On the other hand, for their price point they sound excellent and image well but lack some depth.

I still think for the sale price you would be hard pressed to find better on the new market. The used market obviously increases the competition dramatically.

I will have these hooked up for a while so will update after some burn in!

Keep in mind my observations are from a desktop setup, near field.

Cheap esinkin Bluetooth dongle, directly to ANK EL34 Monoblocks pc as the source.

I do not have a way to set these up in the bigger rig for far field observation
  • Clipdat
    The veneer is very nice.
  • VR3
    Speakers have really opened up the past few days with nice layering in the stage with some depth opening up. Still some minor congestion and such but nothing that would stop me from buying!

Sound excellent near field
  • [
    What would you upgrade first on the cross over? Seams that the resistors are the low hanging fruit.