50 year anniversary r200 signed by matt polk

1234568»

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Yeah, but... they're closer to China than we are.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Exchange rates are the main issue with prices atm. Don’t have supply issues except when Covid intervenes. Australia doesn’t have the population so quantities aren’t what they are in Larger countries so the freight rates per unit is higher.
  • F1nut wrote: »
    Side note here - what's the deal with Australian and that weird lack of wide availability of gear and the high cost?

It's a freakin' island on the other side of the world.

Yeh but it is the largest island in the world. 😅
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Technically it’s a continent, but we don’t want the aussie’s getting a big head…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Braddles63 wrote: »
    I’ve been running them every day since the 16th either with music when I’m home or with the tv when not. Minimum 6-8 hours a day. I suspect they are what they are now.
    I’ve tried them in two rooms and two systems.
    Don’t get me wrong they are good. Very forgiving and easy to listen to. Maybe a little too refined at times. But it lacks the character of a stand mount imo. My R700s is lighter on its feet overall. Has more air around vocals and controls its bass better. Now I’m all my years if you were to compare a stand mount and floor stander it should be the other way around. Especially considering the crossover parts in the 200. For me they tried too hard to make the 200 sound big. You shouldn’t have to pull a stand mount speaker halfway out into the room for it to have some balance.
    But once they are in the right spot they do sound good. But not great. So at this stage I’m a bit disappointed.

eu528dsrdlho.jpeg
    0afji7ih2g8q.jpeg
    ytppucj8fc37.jpeg

Thanks for sharing and the pictures, nice room you got there. I think the best way way really evaluate them is to remove the R700's all together and Run Audyssey. Then make sure they didn't get set to Large and if they did , Manually set to small and cut them around 80-100hz. Blending them in with a good subwoofer probably would yield the best results. They might be doing some strange things in the room response. You could be getting very different reflections due to they are shorter than the R700's on those stands your using.
    I have net heard any of these Reserve speakers yet and really want to.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Braddles63
    Braddles63 Posts: 184
    edited September 2023
    Called into a HI-FI shop today and by pure chance they had the R200 and the 200AE side by side. Both hooked up to the same entry level Yamaha 2 channel amp using the same speaker cables. One to speaker A and one to B. Identical stands. Was just in an open floor environment part of the shop so not the ideal acoustic environment but same for both speakers.
    I could stand back and the sales guy switched back and forth between the two for a few different songs. I could here a difference in the two quite easily. The AE were slightly more extended in the top end and slightly more prominent midrange. Sounded more mature and refined. Not night and day difference but noticeable. Just thought it was worth putting it here.

I posted the above in the comments section of Andrew Robinson review of the R200AE.