50 year anniversary r200 signed by matt polk

Options

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,117
    Options
    I mean if one wanted to... definitely resistors and maybe internal wiring.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Braddles63
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

Hmmm. I will get my people to talk to your people later.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Braddles63 wrote: »
    VR3 wrote: »

Hmmm. I will get my people to talk to your people later.

With the space on that board, upgrading resistors would be easy
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,530
    Options
    Do you hear any hash? What would replacing the resistors
    do? I think I would wait till after the warranty. :)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Braddles63
    Options
    I don’t hear anything yet. Still haven’t arrived. Just thinking out loud.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,099
    Options
    SIHAB wrote: »
    Do you hear any hash? What would replacing the resistors
    do? I think I would wait till after the warranty. :)

you silly -- you're not supposed to hear hash...

sjot9iama772.png
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,095
    Options
    The very small print on the can says “Blonde Lebanese”
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    The very small print on the can says “Blonde Lebanese”

Wouldn't Christmas bud be tis' the season...asking for a friend
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Braddles63
    Braddles63 Posts: 184
    edited December 2022
    Options
  • VR3
    Options
    Yes!!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • rebelsoul
    Options
    So straight out the box these sound better then stock L200 ?
  • VR3
    Options
    For the money I would go with these over the l200. The reserve series is voiced a little warmer but long term these are an excellent platform to upgrade on where as the l200 is fairly complex to tweak
  • Braddles63
    Options
    Sound pretty boomy and bloated so far. Hopefully that settles down.

Not sure why Polk try and make stand mounts sound like a floor stander.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,989
    Options
    Don’t try to assess the sound before a long break-in period. They’ll sound like crap, then good, then crap and it could be quite a long break-in.
  • Braddles63
    Options
    Yeh my R700s took ages to settle down too.
    I don’t like it.
    It makes me nervous.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,989
    Options
    Nothing to be nervous about
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,383
    Options
    The better crossover components may take a while to settle or “charge up” too but I suspect it’s mainly the drivers needing to smooth out.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    Options
    Sound pretty boomy and bloated so far. Hopefully that settles down.

Not sure why Polk try and make stand mounts sound like a floor stander.

Once broken in with the right gear these will blow you away and your question will be moot. :D Gorgeous speakers. I love my "standard" L200's and I was skeptical before I bought them (because of all the rave reviews). I think they are fantastic speakers.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Braddles63
    edited December 2022
    Options
    cc0ex56pi1f4.jpeg
    Giving them a run in the big room
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,407
    Options
    Nice setup my man! Love the artwork.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Braddles63
    Options
    Cheers Tom.

Yes my wife brought them as they looked like a big set of speakers. 😅
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,095
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Wish these were on Promo . Me thinks I’m becoming a bookie fan boy .. Buchardt Zebra are ROCKING IT
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,512
    Options
    Quit wishing. Start buying.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Braddles63
    Options
    Bass has tightened up to some extent but I have to place them around 900mm off the wall to get some sort of tonal balance. Top end is quite refined but also veiled unless you really open the power tap. But they look nice. 😅👍
  • Braddles63
    edited December 2022
    Options
    This is a great speaker if you are onto your 60s, 70s and 80s. It is that refined in the top end that it will smooth out all the thin recordings from the era and has the bass to fill in the bottom end that was missing.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,512
    Options
    Bass has tightened up to some extent but I have to place them around 900mm off the wall to get some sort of tonal balance. Top end is quite refined but also veiled unless you really open the power tap. But they look nice. 😅👍

I think that veiling is going to clean up for you. How many hours do you have on them?

What's this 900mm stuff? Wait, what's that, like 3 grade school ruler lengths?

The R200 series speakers were awful to me when I first got them, but that doesn't speak to the AEs. @VR3 do you find the AEs to be any different out of the box?

I later discovered, like others, that R200s do much better further out in a room. Once broken in and placed out in the room, I found them to be very pleasing, and I supplement a little with a sub.

But yeah, they were all over the place at first, especially with closer proximity to walls. Bass was overpowering, not very well balanced in general, and seemed a bit cold to me.

Re: the veiling, the air didn't come until later, and with plenty of room around them. I think it was a combination of break-in/burn-in and placement.

Try pulling them way out, and get maybe another 450mm to 900mm around them.
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    edited December 2022
    Options
    The Ae do need some break in.

I enjoy their sound, great air and depth in the top end.

Low end is a little less refined than I am used to but very respectable for size and price point.

The midrange however compared to the grandes and Wilson's is insanely veiled. B this is not a dig on the r200 considering the dramatic price differences but just the reality of the speaker.

For the price I paid for a brand new set of speakers, I have no real complaints. They perform very well and are built very well.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,383
    Options
    The true sign of an audiophile is doing speaker setup to the millimeter.

B)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    Options
    This is a great speaker if you are onto your 60s, 70s and 80s. It is that refined in the top end that it will smooth out all the thin recordings from the era and has the bass to fill in the bottom end that was missing.

Speakers shouldn't really be adding or subtracting anything. If there little bass in a recording then the bass on a good rog should sound thin. The R200s don't add anything to the signal that I've noticed. Placement can mess with the output a bit.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!