The Grande Utopia Project

Comments

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    I’m sure the soundstage is huge being set up like that.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,969
    Yeah the first and second generation grande is designed to be faced straight ahead. If it sounds better toed in, then something is wrong either with the upstream gear or the speakers themselves.

That baffle is an engineering masterpiece
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    Definitely makes sense to run them the way they were designed. I find myself preferring to run most speakers I’ve owned with very little to no toe in. As long as it was a well designed speaker with good dispersion properties then there is usually no issue with center fill or instrument placement in the playback and it can really widen the soundstage. I’m finding it true again with these Vandy 5As I’m currently getting dialed in.

A little off topic, but I feel that some of these older generation top of the line speakers are some of the best buys and biggest bang for your buck that you can get in the hifi world. There are a hand full of manufacturers that offer wonderful value but for the most part, as you probably know, the performance to price goes well into your favor when you can snag a set of speakers like you have here.
  • VR3
    100% agree, i dont even look at new speakers anymore, the prices are crazy and I don't much care for the sound either. Im not a huge fan of the overly critical, highlight all of the nuances in a mix sound people like. Music doesn't even sound like that. You get a band playing together and you just won't have that experience.

But I absolutely agree, these 15 to 20 year old speakers, especially if you plan to upgrade the crossovers to more modern caps And resistors... Huge bang for the buck and minimal chance of money lost and sometimes even a gain.

I've found owning these, as off axis speakers, the front end had to be impeccable.. If there is any type of error in the front end, an artifact, whatever, an off axis based speaker really really shows it. Thats why I said if you like the sound better toed in then something else is off in the chain that needs to be addressed.

These speakers have really opened my eyes to component and cable choices, removing artifacts and low level noise.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    So funny to return back to this thread and see this comment from April and how different the system is now... I am very close to doing everything I can think of sans replacing stuff inside the components... lol

Setup now...

RG11 belden, 14 awg OFC copper from outdoor cable box to modem direct wired
    3 x Dedicated 20 amp circuits
    >
    Netgear CM2000 modem
    >Audiolund Reference Ethernet Cat8 and DC power cable
    >
    Netgear MK83 Tri Band Mesh router hub
    >Audiolund Reference Ethernet Cat8 and DC power cable
    > Netagear devices powered by Teradak W200 linear power supply with Audiolund Reference PC
    >
    Lumin U1
    >Lumin X1 Power supply, stock umbilical
    >Audiolund Signature PC
    >Audiolund Xtreme 1.5M Digital Cable with BNC ends
    >
    ANK PRO5.1 DAC
    >Emission Labs Mesh 5u4g rectifier tube, Tung Sol 12au7, JJ Ecc99
    >Audiolund Signature PC
    > Audiolund Xtreme RCA Cables, 1m
    >
    Musical Fidelity KW750
    >Revelation Audio umbilical cables
    >Audiolund Xtreme Power Cable, High Powered Version
    > Audiolund Xtreme 6 wire version speaker cables with Furutech ends
    >
    >1998 Jm Lab Grande Utopia with partially modded crossovers

VR3 wrote: »
    I believe the rig is where it needs to be.

Lumin U1 with Kenneth Lau umbilical using LEEDH processing volume
    >
    Wireworld Starlight BNC
    >
    ANK DAC 5.1 Pro with Quad C Cores
    >
    Duelund Dca 16 awg ICs
    >
    Musical fidelity kw750 amplifier with revelation audio umbilical cables
    >
    Duelund dca 12 speaker cabling
    >
    JM Lab Grande Utopia with the band aid mod
    -
    Duelund Dca 12 600v power cabling thru out

All network components have linear power supplies, supra ethernet. Nighthawk mesh system and modem.

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    VR3 wrote: »
    So funny to return back to this thread and see this comment from April and how different the system is now... I am very close to doing everything I can think of sans replacing stuff inside the components... lol

> Audiolund Xtreme 6 wire version speaker cables with Furutech ends
    Always interesting to follow your progression. I've got Supra and DH Labs cables based on earlier iterations with your journey. Looks like Audiolund is your current darling.

But, I thought you were a bare-wire guy with speaker cables, so curious about your decision to go with terminated ends.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    That is just how they were made and terminated. They are locking banana plugs and the wbt posts are locking so should have a great connection. I am a firm believer otherwise is no connectors.

Audiolund uses duelund dca wiring which I am a huge fan. I love the synergy of that wire with the Focals. Really a great combination!
  • jdjohn
    Good info, thanks B) I currently have Supra Quadrax bare wire for my Mezzo Utopias.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    The quadrax is a great wire. I did find the dca 12 oil baked cotton to have a slightly fuller sound. I still recommend quadrax to anyone asking for a solid wire that won't break the bank
  • jdjohn
    edited October 2022
    I am quite pleased with the Supra Quadrax for speaker wire...thanks again for that recommendation. I also use the Supra EFF-I cable, and Supra RCA locking interconnects...DIY construction after purchasing from that Supra seller on eBay.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    That will come in very handy, Trey. I have about 6 or 7 of them in the audio room. It helps to keep all of the nick knacks, spare parts, measurement and vinyl tools, lasers, measurement tools and the like all in the room but hidden and relatively clutter free.

Are you planning on staining that the same color as your speakers?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    I have a cherry stain that is similar but a tad darker... I might do that for sure!

I have collected a bunch of articles and brochures about the speakers as well that I plan to keep in there...

Those little boxes for 10 bucks are pretty sweet!
  • VR3
    Finally found a 12au7 in my stash that wasn't bad and I like the results!

https://youtu.be/S33DRBk8EwY
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Nice slippers bro
  • VR3
    Thanks man! Toasty!
  • Clipdat
    Do you have the speakers pulled out more than usual today?
  • VR3
    Nah thats my normal location but when I use half zoom on my camera it kind of gives everything a slight fish eye look
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    Looks like they are 6' out into the room LOL
  • treitz3
    You can tell when he pulls them out, as the front of the speakers will be closer to the front of the carpet. He listens to them in nearfield to change things up every once in a while.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    It's not really near field per say, I still sit approximately 9 ft away but I sit further back to the back wall and the speakers are 5 ft out.

Really sounds awesome
  • VR3
    You have to remember just how large the grandes are...

20ish wide, 30ish deep, 70 tall, 450 pounds so pulling them out 2 ft off the back wall brings the drivers a good ways out into the room
  • Clipdat
    450lbs lolol so crazy
  • treitz3
    Yeah, no flinging those off your shoulder when you trip!

Tom
  • VR3
    Exactly you would just die
  • VR3
    Should sound half way decent on headphones I would guess, haven't listened to it beyond my cell phone

https://youtu.be/lXmGC80fEjo
  • treitz3
    I thought I heard that song before! I just listened to it about 4 days ago. I have another track by them marked as a favorite (If memory serves me correctly....been listening to a lot of new music as of late)

Tom
  • VR3
    I dig it, the bass is very hard hitting and the staging is great
  • VR3 wrote: »
    Should sound half way decent on headphones I would guess, haven't listened to it beyond my cell phone

https://youtu.be/lXmGC80fEjo

Amazing! Who's the artist?
  • jdjohn
    Sounding great. Any plans to add your famous defraction pads to those bad boys?