50 year anniversary r200 signed by matt polk

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,970
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Compared to $749 a pair for vinyl finish. Proves that the choice of vinyl was a good one for the cost conscious. Veneer must be expensive. They look nice though.

An alternative would be a pair of the L200s on a regular sale for a bit less than $1,300.
  • VR3
    If they used the legend crossover, that would add some cost as the l200 crossover is a bit more complicated with nicer parts.

Gold plated post
    Veneer

I think it's pretty cool! 😁
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    cool.
    Aiming for the limited edition/collectibles market -- but cool nonetheless.

• Emlyn
    I really like that they picked the R200 as the model to dress up as that to me exemplifies what Polk has been for the last 50 years to most customers. Affordable but high performance and value for the money.

While it would have been interesting to revisit something like an acoustic suspension Monitor 7 that would have been much more expensive and is not the type of speaker Polk has engineered and produced for about 30 years now.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    They look nice. It says oiled finish, but the ones in the photos look like they have a film finish with the dye (color) mixed into the film coating to obtain the very even color tone. When stain or dye is applied directly on cherry it's notorious for resulting in a splotchy appearance.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I really like that they picked the R200 as the model to dress up as that to me exemplifies what Polk has been for the last 50 years to most customers. Affordable but high performance and value for the money.

While it would have been interesting to revisit something like an acoustic suspension Monitor 7 that would have been much more expensive and is not the type of speaker Polk has engineered and produced for about 30 years now.

Not to pick at nits (me?!? B) ) but the Monitor 7did not use an acoustic suspension alignment. The passive radiator is a special case of the Helmholtz Resonator (bass reflex) alignment, with the mass of the PR acting as a replacement for the mass of the air in a port.

In all other respects, though, I think you're dead on. :) I'd say the R200 is very much the 2020s incarnation of the Monitor 7 or 5 in terms of capability and value -- right down to the vinyl siding! ;)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Somebody told me we were to be expecting ribbon tweeters. My disappointment is immeasurable.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    edited November 2022
    Difference being that other manufacturers are making mass produced products based on past designs, and making money in the process. I "was" thinking the AE edition would be the same general R200 with a nameplate and signature for a bit more money (since it's earned tons of awards as-is). Looks as if the weight of the regular R200's and the AE's is the same (unless it's a typo for simplicity) so the cabinets (not the crossovers), to me, would be exactly the same inside. These look great in the cherry finish but, for me at least, much more $ than I was expecting. Yep, "aiming for the limited edition/collectibles market - but cool nonetheless"...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • VR3
    My first pair of speakers were the Polk Rt35i...

So the r200 special edition speaks to me haha
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    VR3 wrote: »

Mine were the RT55I (I wish I had kept) and the RT35I as well, I honestly don't remember the center I had at that time, it all came from Circuit City..
  • VR3
    That was really a great series for the dollar. I paid 300 for the pair of rt35i, real wood veneer and all
  • Emlyn
    My first Polk speakers were the RT1000P. Really glad they didn't revisit that mess of a speaker. I didn't know any better because that was a bit before I got on the Polk forum. The RT55 were way better!

:)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    Yeah, I agree - shoulda gone Legend, signed by "The Legend".
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    And then no matter what, you'll...

hvvofqy2g2qs.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    Hehe
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Yup..., Seen that comin'!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited November 2022

So the r200 special edition speaks to me haha[/
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

Mine were the RT55I (I wish I had kept) and the RT35I as well, I honestly don't remember the center I had at that time, it all came from Circuit City..

My first Polk Audio’s were the 55’s as well. Still have them.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Braddles63
    Braddles63 Posts: 184
    edited November 2022
    Sorry but where does it say it has an upgraded crossover?? It says Components and tells of the gold binding post but also state Same award-winning acoustics and performance as original R200
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

Man those were the days! I bought so much stuff from CC.
  • Nightfall
    Braddles63 wrote: »
    Sorry but where does it say it has an upgraded crossover?? It says Components and tell of the gold binding post but also state Same award-winning acoustics and performance as original R200
    This special-edition speaker embodies all the innovations that make the R200 a Polk classic, with distinctive touches worthy of a rare collectible—from its authentic oiled cherry wood veneer to upgraded crossovers and premium 24K gold-plated five-way binding posts.

• Nightfall
    Maybe they just put the L200 crossovers in. They're pretty closely priced.

• Braddles63
    Braddles63 Posts: 184
    edited November 2022
    That will teach me for having a boy look wont it. :D
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Braddles63 wrote: »
    Only 40 Pairs coming to Australia and only 4 pairs to Western Australia where i live.

Call me a sucker but I've bought a set.

$2k a pair down here so I don't want to hear anyone in the States complaining how much they cost.
    but the Aussie dollar is only worth 50 cents here, so you are getting a helluva deal.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Im intrigued to see what "Upgrades" the Cross over has.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited November 2022
    Wow, those are nice looking! But the price is a bit over the top, IMHO. If these were main speakers that were part of my furniture in a main listening room, maybe worth it. But my R200's sit in an office rig, where frankly, only I see them for the most part.

Good on Polk (or rather the conglomerate that owns them now) for celebrating 50 years with a special offering, but they aren't for me. I love my R200's and eventually they will get the VR3 treatment, so I'm good. :)

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    I was really hoping this was to be the R700. It would have been the push I need to pick them up.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Braddles63 wrote: »
    Only 40 Pairs coming to Australia and only 4 pairs to Western Australia where i live.

Call me a sucker but I've bought a set.

$2k a pair down here so I don't want to hear anyone in the States complaining how much they cost.
    but the Aussie dollar is only worth 50 cents here, so you are getting a helluva deal.

Yeh i suppose when you factor in they are traveling half way around the globe.