What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    marvda1 wrote: »
    VR3 wrote: »
    Just found out from Best Buy that Arcam ordered them to destroy the old AVR30 and send it out for scrap... :o

Lot of profit up to be lighting gear on fire.

My kind of solution though, blow it up!

You would think they would want to find out what the problem is, unless they already know. In that case why no recall?

They shitcanned the AVR10, 20 and 30 line in favor of a new AVR11, 21, 31 and 41.... I guess it's cheaper to flush the problems rather than fix them.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Honestly, I don't care much for Harman Intl. based on prior bad experiences with some of their brands.

I recently experienced current gen Arcam at Magnolia, and was bummed to discover a lightweight plastic volume knob on the integrated amp and a rather slow/disappointing sacd player. Arcam used to be really good for digital, IMO.

Seems Harman took the brand back to the alpha series days.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    So, they are supposed to destroy it in a crusher like Terminator?

They got manufacturer credit.....the company issued said credit and didn't want it back to repair/refurb so that thing is sitting in a dumpster more than likely or however one disposes of electronic garbage according to the dictates of the municipality.

Back in the old days, your COMSEC crypto material....you ran a paper tape through a reader. The tape came in a plastic spool type thing and it used to be great fun destroying those things (which was required, you had to destroy them).....think the Office Space printer.....I doubt Arcam requires that level of proprietary security.

0z5gnla8k9ip.png
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Once again, it has been a weekend (actually 4 days straight) of listening to nothing but music on the rig. From Kansas to Lindsey Sterling to the Eagles to Phish to Restless Heart to James Taylor to Santana to Bach to you name it....been having a blast just listening and enjoying the heck out of the music.

I am falling in love with the way the rig presents violins and other "horsehair" (if you will) type instruments. Whilst listening to Kansas', "Carry on my Wayward Son"? I always knew that the violin was playing....mostly in the past, I thought that it was playing solos during the song. Not the case.

Now that literally everything is separated and each one of the instruments is heard individually (even during heavy passages) with zero congestion, blurring or image degradation, the violin was still playing when I thought it had been silent (or not playing) in the past.

The double bass (when played in a song or passage) literally sounds like they are there, in the room playing. The texture, dynamics, weight, palpability and pleasure of what one hears is oh, so much ear candy. Even my wife made the comment that, "It's as if you can reach out and shake the performer's hands". Life is good.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    What speakers are you using Tom?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    edited April 2022
    Not really a "speaker".....more like a system of speakers. It's kind of a 3 part equation with the Tyler Acoustic Lynbrook's being the centerpiece.

CROSSOVER - The crossovers have been removed from the cabinets and were part of a 3 and a half year project from design to finished product. Completely custom. A cabinet enclosure was manufactured from scratch to hold three levels of crossover components. 1st level, the original crossovers that came with the speakers. 2nd level, the tweeter network with all VR3 Abott series upgrades (his top tier line but with Path Audio shielded resistors). 3rd level, VR3 Abott series upgraded bass and mid-bass network. This is actually two crossover networks in one enclosure so we can very rapidly change from the original crossovers that came with the speakers to the upgraded crossovers. Custom aircraft aluminum chassis with independently suspended/isolated shelves, powder coated black and spiked w/ custom umbilical cord to speakers with NL4 connections to –

SPEAKERS - Tyler Acoustics Lynbrook Signature Series one piece towers in Ribbon Mahogany built by Ty Lashbrook. The speakers have been completely disassembled and rebuilt/finished from the ground up, resealed, damping material added, crossovers removed from the cabinet. Also, upgraded wiring, spikes, back plate and NL4 connector/umbilical cord that connects back to the crossover networks.

SUBS - Stereo set of Rythmik F-25 800w Direct Servo sub's that flank both mains, on Target MR Maximum Rigidity Speaker stands that are spiked w/ AQ King Cobra IC's and MIT "Y" splitter cables coming from the Musical Fidelity KW750. PC's are PS Audio Prelude PC's

Tom
    Post edited by treitz3 on
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    I need to get my ears on those sometime...

• treitz3
    You are welcome to audition the system anytime, John. If memory serves, I have more invested in just the parts for the crossover units than the original MSRP of the speakers themself. I am proud of every penny spent and the effort that went into them rivals what you did with your tube amp build. Below is a snapshot taken just the other day of the internals of one of the layers of the crossover units.

pb7jd5xwhzlq.png

You will notice that there are two resistors stacked on top of each other near a piece of tape labeled "Mid-bass". We are still improving the crossover network and the ones below the Path Audio ones are no longer in use.

Tom
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Tom’s rig is the definition of high resolution......it’s totally jaw dropping the level of detail it is capable of.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • treitz3
    Thanks for the kind words, Troy. That can actually be multiplied (some might argue to the power of) with the addition of the new amp. So many aspects have changed, I would need a couple of pages of small print to describe them.....just as I would the same exact amp on Trey's rig. The changes are not subtle at all and trust me when I say that no straining is needed to hear them. At all.

Next time you come up, you will understand. After getting the same amplifier, I now understand why I was asking Trey the questions about what he did to his system...

Tom
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    For those also inclined to finding enjoyment from horsehair sonics and other instrumental textures, here are a few tracks and/or artists:

* Antonio Forcione - Tears of Joy, Sahara Rain
    * Tchaikovsky (Slatkin/SLSO) - Marche Slav
    * Allegri Quartet
    * Blind Melon - Tones of Home
    * Alison Krauss - Baby, Now That I’ve Found You
    * Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • 55SLA70
    55SLA70 Posts: 45
    In the process of replacing my LS70's with a pair of LSIM 703's. The LS70's served me well for 27 years but it's time to retire them. In the process of making some temporary stands until I can come up with something permanent. I'm hoping I won't need a subwoofer, but I'll eventually go with one if I determine it's needed.
    Old Name: 55LS70Preamp: Decware CSP3 w/ 1 x Amperex 7308, 2 x Amperex 6922's, 1 x RCA 5R4GY Power Amp: Cary SLA Signature 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA 5691's, 4 X Tung Sol 6550 reissuesAnalog: Rega Planar 3 w/ P2000 motor, Deep Groove sub platter, Incognito tonearm wiring, JA Michell counterweight, Tangospinner feet, Dynavector 10 x 5 cartridge, Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid phono stage w/ 2 x BEL 6922's.Radio: HH Scott 330D tuner with HH Scott Type 335 multiplex. Both modified by Mapleshade.Digital: Marantz ND8006Speaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC'sSpeakers: Polk Audio LSIM 703'sInterconnects. Tuner: Audioquest Black Mamba II's, phono stage: Kimber Kable Hero's, PreAmp/Amp and Digital: Audioquest King Cobra"s
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    55SLA70 wrote: »
    In the process of replacing my LS70's with a pair of LSIM 703's. The LS70's served me well for 27 years but it's time to retire them. In the process of making some temporary stands until I can come up with something permanent. I'm hoping I won't need a subwoofer, but I'll eventually go with one if I determine it's needed.

Congrats! You'll love the 703's. What will you be using to drive them? Sources?

I recently picked up a pair of these : https://www.pangeaaudio.com/NEW-PGDS400-28 and I'm very happy with them. There are certainly better stands out there, but I found them to provide a nice price/performance ration.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • 55SLA70
    I’m using a Cary SLA Signature (6550 tubes, 60 wpc). Hopefully that’s enough power to drive them. As of now, those Pangea’s are on my short list. Thanks for the tip.
    Old Name: 55LS70Preamp: Decware CSP3 w/ 1 x Amperex 7308, 2 x Amperex 6922's, 1 x RCA 5R4GY Power Amp: Cary SLA Signature 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA 5691's, 4 X Tung Sol 6550 reissuesAnalog: Rega Planar 3 w/ P2000 motor, Deep Groove sub platter, Incognito tonearm wiring, JA Michell counterweight, Tangospinner feet, Dynavector 10 x 5 cartridge, Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid phono stage w/ 2 x BEL 6922's.Radio: HH Scott 330D tuner with HH Scott Type 335 multiplex. Both modified by Mapleshade.Digital: Marantz ND8006Speaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC'sSpeakers: Polk Audio LSIM 703'sInterconnects. Tuner: Audioquest Black Mamba II's, phono stage: Kimber Kable Hero's, PreAmp/Amp and Digital: Audioquest King Cobra"s
  • 55SLA70
    edited April 2022
    02dpacfd4rrl.jpg

I'm also considering getting another pair of these Timber Nation maple stands. We have them supporting some RTI A3's in the living room. Their price is at the max I want to spend though.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Wow, those are super nice!
  • 55SLA70
    I gotta say they’re well made. Straight, sturdy and simple. Also they, more or less, fit in with our semi mission style decor.
  • Clipdat
    Were they expensive?
  • 55SLA70
    I think I paid about $400 for the pair.
  • Clipdat
    Very reasonable indeed.
  • 55SLA70
    These have a light cherry stain. If one was was to forego that and just go with a clear satin finish maple I think they cost $360 a pair.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    02dpacfd4rrl.jpg

I'm also considering getting another pair of these Timber Nation maple stands. We have them supporting some RTI A3's in the living room. Their price is at the max I want to spend though.

Those are gorgeous! Am I looking at those wrong? Isn’t the front of the stand facing the wall? Forgive me if I’m incorrect.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • 55SLA70
    edited April 2022
    I set it up just like the pictures on their website. But I must admit I thought the same as you when I first got them. Quite frankly I don’t think it makes any difference which way they’re set up.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    edited April 2022
    I set it up just like the pictures on their website. But I must admit I thought the same as you when I first got them. Quite frankly I don’t think it makes any difference which way they’re set up.

I looked at it again, and I could make arguments either way. At least we know they aren’t upside down! Again,they are gorgeous stands!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • 55SLA70
    Fair enough. I agree, they are pretty nice. I’ll probably, sometime in the near future, get a pair for the LSIM 703’s I just got.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Nice stands regardless of how they’re facing😉.

I bet the 703’s will sound fantastic on the Cary. I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • 55SLA70
    I’m listening to them now. I think they’ll do just fine. The have a lot better highs and upper mids then the LS70’s. The bass doesn’t go as deep as the LS70’s but it’s deep enough and more defined. Also, so far, they seem to work well with tubes. The sound stage seems fairly large. I can maybe improve on that by working on the positioning a little more. Currently, I’m listening to the Steven Wilson remix (on cd) of Jethro Tull’s Benefit. Later on , I’ll put some jazz on the turntable and hear how they fare with that.
  • I have been looking at buying a 5 tier stand from timber nation. Seems like really good quality for the price.
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922

I have a pair of aftermarket stands for my Quad ESL-57s. I am still not sure why way is up on them. :p
  • 55SLA70
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I have a pair of aftermarket stands for my Quad ESL-57s. I am still not sure why way is up on them. :p

LOL! If it doesn’t come with instructions I guess it comes down to “whatever works.”