Bob Carver Corp Crimson 275 stereo tube power amplifier.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2022
    tonyb wrote: »
    At least Bob responded, if indeed it was Bob, and offered up refunds for anyone feeling like they got shorted. What else can he do really.

Future buyers of his products are going to wonder now, with this creative marketing scheme, and past products still gracing peoples homes will start getting looked at cross eyed. Needless to say, this debacle has put a huge dent in his reputation.

The good news is....lots of used 275's gonna be on the used markets alot cheaper. Can't say I'd kick one to the curb for not having a safety ground connected.

I do believe it was the real Bob (FWIW), but of course his response was carefully worded. Nothing wrong, nor surprising, about that, but we're not (no surprise) gonna get a heart-to-heart with him about how he heals tubes or listens to the room with an amplifier (and not, presumably, using microphonic tubes).

The whole affray is (again, no surprise) ugly and regrettable.
    :(

• CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    Ugly and regrettable. That pretty well sums up the whole Emirbits forum. Where ego drives the bus and tearing someone else down to build up themselves is really the whole project. He's not the first that tried to make something of themselves in this manner.

I still think that people that operate like he does it really it all comes down to Momma issues that were never resolved.

It's a shame that people can't set back and just press the play button. Listening can have such positive results and clear up those terrible lack of proper goals. Sinad ranking is not what its all about.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • Dishonesty does have its consequences.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • mhardy6647
    Dishonesty does have its consequences.

... in the fullness of time.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Don't hold your breath waiting for him to have a conversation with the audio community on those statements. Bob maybe.....just decided to let his flamboyant flag fly, who knows. Dishonesty , yeah, kind of a reputation killer. In my mind though, Frank single handedly sunk the company's rep, and Bob didn't exactly help matters with statements like those posted.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375
    edited January 2022
    tonyb wrote: »
    At least Bob responded, if indeed it was Bob, and offered up refunds for anyone feeling like they got shorted. What else can he do really.

Future buyers of his products are going to wonder now, with this creative marketing scheme, and past products still gracing peoples homes will start getting looked at cross eyed. Needless to say, this debacle has put a huge dent in his reputation.

The good news is....lots of used 275's gonna be on the used markets alot cheaper. Can't say I'd kick one to the curb for not having a safety ground connected.

My understanding of the situation is that Bob Carver has no connection with the company that is selling this amp with his name on it beyond design and the amp carrying his name. If that is the case I do not understand how/why he would be offering refunds? Just doesn't make sense. The only way that statement makes sense to me is someone from that company is using his name. I am not a lawyer but i bet they feel entitled to do that based on whatever contract they have with Bob.

I doubt Bob is planning to put forth any more products. I can't imagine he would have allowed this debacle if he thought he would be putting anything else into the marketplace.
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I've never seen or heard of Bob Carver post on an audio forum. Not even the two, now only one, forums dedicated to Carver products.

In addition, it would be impossible for him to offer a refund or even a "safety" repair due to the fact he sold the business. HELLO!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Navy_Goat
    edited January 2022
    F1nut wrote: »
    I've never seen or heard of Bob Carver post on an audio forum. Not even the two, now only one, forums dedicated to Carver products.

In addition, it would be impossible for him to offer a refund or even a "safety" repair due to the fact he sold the business. HELLO!!!

Yep, I don't understand why some are discussion this as if "his" response makes some sort of sense?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Do you think Matthew Polk knows about, gives a rats a$$ about, or would ever post on this forum about the train wreck soundbars with his name on them? FK no! Wake up people! Frank made that post!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    edited February 2022
    Reposting this again for laughs:
    sa4mfmw4fyc9.jpg

"75 watts per ch. - typically 90 WPC @1% THD, 130W on music"
    NiftyInfantileDormouse-size_restricted.gif

• mhardy6647
    ASR started to use a GIF in response to... questionable claims.
    I rather like this one, which I have dubbed the all righty, then glance.

zlzs5gv93wqg.gif
  • Clipdat
    Is there even ONE THING on that banner that is true?!?
  • "Internal temperature is close to the inside of your mouth for extreme longevity"

What does that even mean? I know hindsight is 20/20, but how could any of that have sounded legit?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Anyone else tired of seeing this dead horse continuing to get flogged?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    No, not really.
  • F1nut
    Not me either.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Does anyone have any ears on experience with the amp?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Bud you should order one and hook it up to your Magicos. I double dog dare you!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I’m not in the market for anything new, but am always interested in learning something new. For this gear I read a lot of negativity, but never from an owner.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    We had a forum member here buy one.

I think he did mention there were no instructions about where to place the different small tubes or anything else about it. He said he contacted them and then after a quick period of time, returned it.

He was decent enough to keep his reason/s for returning it secret.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    There were a flurry of purchases reported all over cyberspace (well, you know -- the usual places) back when they came out... there's been very, very little follow-up, though, from the early adopters "in print".
    Some folks did rally to the defense of these amps when the "15 watt" story was emerging -- and I really don't doubt that they sound fine. The issues that ahem some of us are flogging have everything to do with the marketing of the amp and its price/performance ratio (i.e., value), and not so much to do with "does it sound good?"
    I would never say that question's irrelevant (!) but I will say emphatically that, dollar for dollar, there's not much question that one can do better, even buying new. Even in 2022.

And I do love Schadenfreude.

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,453
    edited February 2022
    From the owners manual:

"The rear panel vacuum tube cathode fuse (B+) is a 1.0 ampere and should be replaced with the same type and rating. If the fuse blows during bench testing, it may be temporarily replaced witha 1.25 or 1.5 ampere fuse. Do not, under any circumstances, use a "slow-blow" fuse here! Normally, a 1.0 ampere fuse will be perfect for music because the peak-to-average power ratio of speech and music is about 10:1. If you find that the 1.0 amp fuse blows with music, you may replace it with a 1.25 ampere fuse, or even a 1.5 ampere one."
  • Navy_Goat
    edited February 2022
    F1nut wrote: »
    Navy_Goat wrote: »
    "Internal temperature is close to the inside of your mouth for extreme longevity"

What does that even mean? I know hindsight is 20/20, but how could any of that have sounded legit?

It means your GF can practice on the tubes.

That clears things up, just don't tell my wife.... :D
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    106 pages, 2,100 comments.

The train kept a rollin' all night long
    The train kept a rollin' all night long
  • Tony M
    The lies keep a rollin' too.

But for the past 6 years, why would it be any other way. Nothin' to see here.
  • Tony M
    I'm just saying the Carver ads haven't changed yet. If they're even still out there. I guess they could be called misinformation or lack of candor too. :s

I'm not insinuating anybody here on the forum has told a lie at all. I just want to be very clear about that.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    ykkxd5vgt9zr.gif
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    FMalitz wrote: »
    Although it's rated at 75 W per channel, they all measure about 90 but produce between 130 and 140 watts on music and voice, probably, I assume, at a higher distortion of maybe 1 1/2 to 2%. Normally, it's well under 1% with a lovely profile.
  • F1nut
    More worthless babble from a master babbler.

President of Club Polk