Post a picture... any picture

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited October 2021
    Apropos of the above (and FWIW): I've always kind of wondered why the "back side" of the cone suspension attained the moniker spider?

Now, I'll grant you that early "spiders" were, perhaps, more arachnoid in morphology -- such as the spiders on my venerable (and seldom unboxed) Altec 604B Duplexes (and on my single, rather scroungy, 603B "Dia-Cone").

az3fmvg9hw9l.png

1940s to early 1950s Altec (phenolic) spider from this interesting thread at the Lansingheritage forums:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?10725-G-L-Carrington-quite-a-guy
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Hmmm...
    itcslokoil35.jpg
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2021
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Hmmm...
    itcslokoil35.jpg

Yah, it's true! :)
    It counts minutes and seconds... "digital clocks" like this (and even cruder ones) are quite familiar to those of us who are... umm... of a certain age. Or an uncertain age, once we can't quite remember any more...

k8inw5ys87sr.png
    gjphu2t5a24z.png
    8hx5t3uvt9zq.png

That Wollensak/Sanyo 8-track deck's "digital" timer is bit on the "crude" side, but the little geared wheels on it are indeed calibrated with minutes and seconds. If (!?) it is driven by an AC synchronous motor, and the gears are pretty precisely cut, it should be good enough to ensure the track change ka-chunk doesn't fall right in the middle of an In-a-gadda-.... :#
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    That one appears a "little" rough around the edges Ol'chap...
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2021
    8hx5t3uvt9zq.png
    OK -- I am in full-on reminisence mode after posting that image. That's the "digital" filmstrip clock used by Zenith in one of their "Circle of Sound" clock radios in the very early 1970s. I was the proud recipient of one (birthday present) ca. 1971 (i.e., almost exactly 50 years ago). It woke me up (to WBAL-AM 1090)
    for school for years, and I also used to listen to the Baltimore pop and rock (AM and FM) radio stations of the early 1970s on it before I set up a "hifi" ca. 1974 or 5 from components gleaned from my father. :)

It actually sounded pretty good (for a plastic cabinet clock radio)! Zenith sold all kinds of cute loudspeaker configurations (large & small, cheap & expensive) over the years -- this particular "Circle of Sound" model has a downward firing "fullrange" (ahem) driver with a diffuser that serves as the radio's base. B)

lgqntr73ly09.png
    Borrowed internet photo -- but I still have mine down in the basement. It is on its second clock, and I don't think the second one works any more, either... but it was a good ol' radio, and (probably) still is.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention -- the above-mentioned radio was acquired from Luskin's in Glen Burnie, MD. "Where Jack you know will save you dough!"

ahh, memories...

;)

Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • mhardy6647
    7djvdri1a5cv.png

I remember that ad :)

Probably still better than the cactus needles of the Victrola era, I suppose. :#

nob1bfwwo1v5.png
    rcu94r6jdnh8.png

I don't think they're good for too many plays before replacement's required. :|
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    jdjohn wrote: »
    1j6yyzth2vxt.jpg

:D

sa2iue8n5ahr.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    7djvdri1a5cv.png

I remember that ad :)

Probably still better than the cactus needles of the Victrola era, I suppose. :#

nob1bfwwo1v5.png
    rcu94r6jdnh8.png

I seen an old victrola or something like it that used wooden needles. Strangest thing I ever seen.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Do you use this one on an S arm? :)

y94luvqa97zl.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2021
    Picked this up of the freebie pile at NEVEC last weekend.

51551407370_26cff8412f_b.jpgDSC_0514 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

RCA WP-24A Isotap isolation transformer (early 1950s, give or take).
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    What are you going to do with it?
  • jdjohn
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

nob1bfwwo1v5.png
    rcu94r6jdnh8.png

Well...cactus cantilevers are being used today. Here's a close-up pic borrowed from VinylEngine, member Delta667.
    0t3kr1s0bjgn.jpg
    Dmitry does amazing work. I think someone in South America sends him cactus needle stock. Peter Ledermann (at Soundsmith) and others have done this as well.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • pitdogg2
    Clipdat wrote: »
    What are you going to do with it?

Put it on his racks with the 900other items.....

His kids will return it from where he got it in 35 yrs.

:D:D
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2021
    Isolation transformers (with several output voltage taps) are actually handy... so handy that... umm... I did already have one. ;)

o3tfck54iw72.png

I picked that one up because of that RCA meatball logo, age, and... well... 'cause it's RCA. I know this guy who's... a bit of an RCA fan. I thought he might enjoy adding it to his collection of... interesting RCA things*.

Oh, and the price was right, too, you know? B)

* Interesting RCA things like a pair of these, you know?
    (OK, the "super" tweeters aren't RCA... but the rest is)

u6oh4bhfljw8.jpg

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Every so often I come across a photo online that makes me think: "At least my setup isn't THAT bad"

022e56be-e15b-4321-9757-ac5faeaf8abd.jpeg
  • mhardy6647
    so -- I have developed a taste for a blog called "Curbside Classics" in recent months.
    I've seen some weird stuff there -- some of it very cool (e.g., a 1930s Chrysler Airflow... truck design).

In my email inbox today, though, was a heapin' helpin' of automotive cognitive dissonance.

aoa8azv1ugx8.png

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/automotive-history-1980-briggs-stratton-hybrid-18-hp-gas-8-hp-electric-6-wheels-dead-end/

I think I was vaguely aware of this... umm... project. I'm not sure I needed a reminder. ;)

• pitdogg2
    Looks better than the K-cars.....
  • mhardy6647
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Looks better than the K-cars.....

I dunno -- a Reliant with six wheels might've been a force to be reckoned with. B)

I was struck by how much like some of the Chrysler/Mitsubishi products of that era the B&S hybrid resembles -- remember the ol' Dodge Omni and its ilk? :)

Brooks Stevens Associates did the (ahem) coachwork for the B&S six-wheeler, according to the post. :#

epk6xw42arbb.png

• Dodge Omni and the Plymouth Horizon. 'merica's answer to the VW Rabbit
    Sal Palooza
  • pitdogg2
    Yep those were hideous incarnations of cars.
  • jdjohn
    Wow...has to be one of the earliest hybrid cars made.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I think it never made it into production after rear end crash tests would shower the passengers with battery acid.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus