Billet RD-0194/8 tweeter plate design.

Comments

• 6k3pf45mtk90.jpg
    Enjoying the reflection from the christmas lights
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Jingle tweets.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • xschop
    Little update and FYI. I was assembling another set of the billet plates with aftermarket domes and testing. I couldn't get one of them to sound just right unless I left the magnet screws too loose. After disassembling, I found excess solder at the wire leads/fast-on tabs that was sharp and penetrating the insulating tape. I just hit it with a fine flat file and the shorting went away...

i4pngtf2zj9h.jpg

5f6qqoc7kzey.jpg

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I'll look close to the ones I have yet to do.

I still have a bunch to test. If I hear something bad, that's the first thing I'll look at if/when I'll have to remove them.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Look what I found on my doorstep. Very nice work, Rob! Thank you.

No disrespect to the bling factor, the stainless is sweet, but my preference is for black, so next step is to find a shop that can do the work. Unless, you can recommend a suitable DIY paint process...etching followed by a mat black?

Pics don't do them justice. Excellent in person.

e62bnnc4i5ys.jpg
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    They are on my list as well.
  • xschop
    edited January 2021
    To match the crossover plate, you can take them to a small-batch anodizing shop.

FYI, the two factory handles and the alloy crossover plate can be stripped and sanded to match.
    I think just the two handles stripped and sanded to match would be a nice contrast and easy to do.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    I'd rather have the plates silver as I think it gives a nice looking contrast and a more custom look. Especially with Larry's custom crossover plates with the brass handles
  • xschop
    They can be mirror-polished as well. I'll do a set and post pics this weekend if I have time.
  • JayCee
    I have Larry's custom XO plates w/red lettering and, to my knowledge, the only stainless handles he made. He may have one other. That's about as much stainless as I'm looking for. Anodized it is.
    yzsyeee03zs3.jpg
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Krylon rattle can.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    If they are aluminum handles, then 320 grit will make them match the plates' patina.
  • JayCee
    F1nut wrote: »
    Krylon rattle can.

No issues w/it adhering to the metal? From what I read painting stainless will result in future chipping without specific prep.
  • xschop
    Krylon rattle can.

Clean thoroughly with acetone or alcohol and hit with a coat of flat-black primer on the cheap is an option.

A few years back when I built some custom bikes, there was a guy that always won best of show for paint. They called him the Krylon Kid as he only used spray cans and lots of elbow grease. His work was immaculate.
  • F1nut
    JayCee wrote: »
    Krylon rattle can.

No issues w/it adhering to the metal? From what I read painting stainless will result in future chipping without specific prep.

Sorry, your post popped up before I finished typing mine. My comment was in reference to the tweeter bezels.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• JayCee
    Okay, cool. I'll do a test run on the back of one plate to see how it comes out. Again, will state, your work and the SS is very nice...this is just a personal preference.
  • JayCee
    edited January 2021
    Krylon rattle can.

Sorry, your post popped up before I finished typing mine. My comment was in reference to the tweeter bezels.

Looks like we're all posting as the other does. You are correct...I want to paint the bezels. Edit to add...not the handles or XO plate. They've been with me since I bought the speakers.
    Post edited by JayCee on
  • F1nut
    Krylon rattle can.

Looks like were all posting as the other does. You are correct...I want to paint the bezels.

The bezels are aluminum.

President of Club Polk

• JayCee
    edited January 2021
    Ah, just went back to page 1 and see "aluminum". Somewhere, in my failed memory, I was thinking SS. Thanks, Jesse, for clarifying my dumb a * s * s*. Sorry, Rob et al, for the confusion. This makes things much easier.
  • xschop
    edited January 2021
    6061-T6 aluminum to be exact. No worries. If you decide not to keep the black paint, just strip it with acetone.
  • JayCee
    My posts remind me of this....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrwDzuUtQKY
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    To have good luck painting aluminum it must be acid etched or sanded and cleaned and then primed within several minutes to avoid oxidation which will prevent the primer from bonding.

I'd try something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-40204-Metal-Prep-quart/dp/B00J5940JE
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • New billet plates Anodized and lazer engraved. Looking and sounding great!!
    Huge thank you to Ray xschop
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited April 2021
    Those look GREAT!!
    I'm jealous you have such great looking tweeters.
    ;)
    By the way
    @xschop = Rob :p
  • Thank you! and yes Rob of course 👍🙂
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• F1nut
    NICE!!!

President of Club Polk

• VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    edited April 2021
    @xschop Whats happening Hoss ! When the site took a plunge I did not get back on for a while. Looks like your work has been kickin **** and taking names ! This is some great stuff you are building here man. I finally found 4 Polk MW in Atlanta. One with a slipped magnet so I finally got to try the tool . Quick easy works perfectly. Another original Polk Mid woofer saved from the scrap heap. Drove 4 hours round trip but 30.00 for four MW 6500's was worth it. Well, I did pick up some other stuff while I was out and about you know..
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    The laser engraving lettering almost looks white but I guess it is silver aluminum color? Looks great!
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    Those look amazing