123457»

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    This mod adds the beef.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,125
    Clipdat wrote: »
    So $2,599 ($1,099 unit + $1,500 mod) plus return shipping?

Doesn't that put it in new Auralic Altair G1 category at $2,700? https://us.auralic.com/products/altair-g1

I know which one I'd rather have, especially when you think about the app that controls the Cambridge vs the app that controls the Auralic.

That being said, I think it's cool that they are offering this modification, it probably sounds great.

Yup, that's exactly what you'd be at price wise. I overlooked that model. And from a features standpoint, the Altair easily takes the cake, no denying that. But that Altair won't have that class A tube stage :p

Lucky for Dan over at Modwright, I have a feeling customers looking for this mod won't be the customers looking at the Altair for the most part.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • displayname
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Not to scab on the thread but what is the difference between the 851N and the CXN?

Not sure if it matters, but the 851N doesn't support Chromecast. It's an older design vs. the CXN V2 which is newer.

I think the most important consideration though is whether you plan on using the internal DAC or not.

Guts:

851N:

851n_inside1.jpg

CXN V2:

Inside-cambridge-CXN.jpg

Cambridge-Audio-CXN-inside-top_big.jpg

Not so beefy guts lol.

w6ntdhmppc88.jpg
    hi1a30wgu860.jpg
    Its a pretty dramatic before and after, that's for sure.

Discogs
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 666
    I dunno ....
    I’d prob just get an 851n , pocket the 1,000 bucks and call it a day ..
    My 851 sounds pretty good....

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • displayname
    gyosa wrote: »
    I dunno ....
    I’d prob just get an 851n , pocket the 1,000 bucks and call it a day ..
    My 851 sounds pretty good....

Bk

I'm actually a little surprised it's not also an option for the 851N as well. I'd imagine the process to bypass the analog stage would be similar.
    Discogs
  • gyosa
    edited November 2020
    Maybe it’s not that big of an upgrade compared to the cxn....
    The 851 has a big toroidal transformer vs the switching ps on the cxn - not that that matters w regards to the tube mod...

Or does it ?

Dunno squat about tube gear .😩

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • Clipdat
    I couldn't physically stand the sound of the 851n.
  • gyosa
    What didn’t you like about the sound ?

Bk

• Clipdat
    edited November 2020
    It just made everything sound fake and etched. It had a wide and 3D sound, but it felt harsh and physically fatiguing to my ears. It just wasn't enjoyable to listen to. Maybe it's something about how it upsamples, I'm not sure.

It seems like it tries real hard to provide a "HiFi" sound, but it felt artificial to me, especially in the highs.
  • gyosa
    edited November 2020
    Interesting...

The wide soundstage was the very first thing I noticed about it.
    Thanks ..

B K

• displayname
    gyosa wrote: »
    Maybe it’s not that big of an upgrade compared to the cxn....
    The 851 has a big toroidal transformer vs the switching ps on the cxn - not that that matters w regards to the tube mod...

Or does it ?

Dunno squat about tube gear .😩

Bk

I'm fairly certain the 851N has different DAC chips than the CXN too, but I didn't look it up so maybe I'm wrong. But the chip isn't everything. Power supplies are a big deal though. You'll find that many higher end DACs have two power supplies, one for the DAC, one for the analog section. And most higher end separates have their own separate linear power supply in the streamer.

But no one part makes or breaks these systems. It's all about how it's implemented. All I know is that I do like my cxn, and this does look interesting. Maybe not giant killer, but interesting.
    Discogs
  • gyosa
    edited November 2020
    Yes , the 851 uses different dac chips dual AD1955’s vs dual Wolfson dacs...

Joe , that Auralic sure is purdy !

Bk

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91dy7KDLUBL.jpgrb0ngp6upf0r.jpeg

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I'd probably still be using the Aries Mini if they would have ever made an Android app.

I don't dislike the CXN V2 either though. It's not as good as the Aries Mini IMO but it's not horrible and I bet the Modright makes it pretty nice.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • The Cambridge line of streamers are a good way to
    Get a taste of it all! For me anyway that taste didn’t satisfy after
    A while of using my 851n and once I ventured off to
    Audition several other streamers all of which sounded a lot
    better than the 851n , it was not until I got my ears on the Auralic Vega G2
    that I knew I was at home! If someone is happy with the Cambridge line that’s
    really great! I was just wanting better sound ! Thanks to Cambridge for introducing me to the world of streaming !
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!