Cambridge CXN (V2) next acquisition

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited August 2019
    I tried that. Even switched it to low and back to HiFi. I'll check it out again today though. This was my first time back on Tidal since the Auralic Mini, maybe it was an issue that I reopened/paid my account and immediately logged in on the Cambridge?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    That's weird. You might try completely removing the account from the CXN and re-adding it. I know it's a pain in the **** to type in your password using the CXN's knob and screen though.
  • Nightfall
    Tried logging out and back in from the connect app.

dd6y1qwbll34.jpg

• Nightfall
    edited August 2019
    Okay I logged out of the account from the remote/screen itself, no app. Shut off the CXN. Turned it back on. Logged back in with the remote and screen, no app (what a PITA), and now I'm at 44/16bit

I can play songs from the Cambridge Connect app now and they're FLAC. So it seems all is good. Did you all login from the CXN and remote itself instead of using the Connect app as well?

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I don't remember. Is AAC the Apple Lossless protocol? If so that is what I use when I RIP CDs, and it is fine.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    edited August 2019
    AAC is lossy... like a more efficient and modern version of the aging MP3. ALAC is lossless.

• BlueFox
    Yes. That's right. Thanks.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Did you all login from the CXN and remote itself instead of using the Connect app as well?

Yes, unfortunately that's the way you have to do it to fully "reset" it.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Glad it worked and sorry had my Accalacaladank’s mixed up.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,160
    Can you force it to just stream the normal FLAC? Some albums sounded good others not so much, it was very confusing.

Depends on original recording as to some sound good others not so. No matter how high up the chain you go with network streamers/players.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    There lies the rub for us Audiophiles as we move up the ladder. Songs we used to love become unbearable anymore if they were recorded badly. At least for me.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,124
    joecoulson wrote: »
    There lies the rub for us Audiophiles as we move up the ladder. Songs we used to love become unbearable anymore if they were recorded badly. At least for me.
    This is somewhat true. For the most part, I think a system with good balance won't ruin songs that are too poorly recorded, but there are some that do just kind of become a bit of a bummer.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Nightfall

On the other hand all of my records sound good to me.

• BlueFox

On the other hand all of my records sound good to me.

Same here. Of course, some could be better recorded, but if I like the song then I like it.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    DSkip wrote: »

You just haven’t found the right mix yet. When you do even bad recordings can be enjoyable again. It takes a lot of effort to get there - even my system as currently configured isn’t there and it’s driving me freakin nuts.

Interesting Skip. Was there a time when you had the right mix of gear? Please share! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    verb wrote: »

You just haven’t found the right mix yet. When you do even bad recordings can be enjoyable again. It takes a lot of effort to get there - even my system as currently configured isn’t there and it’s driving me freakin nuts.

Interesting Skip. Was there a time when you had the right mix of gear? Please share! :)

Several times. New gear brings new synergies though and right now I’m not synergizin to my expectations.

I can imagine! Iterating on new gear to get that synergy, can be, expensive! What do you look for? It can't be just trial and error. Can it be?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    edited August 2019
    Give me a call tomorrow if you are truly interested. Its a lot to go through and definitely more than I care to type out.

For sure! Perhaps not tomorrow, work is killing me right now, but I am definitely interested in your thoughts!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,287

This is why for one of my rigs, i opted for an integrated that had a loudness button and tone controls. Yes dps probably would have been a better route but, I didn't want to go that route :).
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tophatjohnny
    Fox nailed it. If you like the song you like the song. It could be on a 50 dollar crap boom box. If the original recording vinyl or CD is crap..crap in crap out. When you use a top of the line player the truth is right there. Of course there are little things we can do to change the bit rates and all but it will be what it is and unless you have a player that really digs in and truly reveals higher sample rates changing anything about your digital recordings for play in a mediocre player is like piissin' in the wind.
    Just dobbie it up and "listen to the music" 🎶
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Nightfall
    Does anyone make a paid third party app for Cambridge that is anymore functional or more convenient than the Connect app?

• tophatjohnny
    Does anyone make a paid third party app for Cambridge that is anymore functional or more convenient than the Connect app?

Yes do tell. The connect app was what I liked the most about my Cambridge experience.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 666
    Try mConnect ... apple App Store .
    Free and paid versions.

Should work just fine .....
    It’ll stream the first MQA unfold 24/48khz from tidal ....

Bk

Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • Nightfall
    New firmware
    5th December 2019

v017-a-070

Features:

• Add support for Spotify Free.
    • Add repeat track (repeat-1) functionality to Spotify Connect.

Improvements:

• Improved Spotify preset handling.
    • Fixed AirPlay audio glitch when switching between AAC tracks.
    • Various Webmin updates.
    • Fixed CBUS power-on commands when unit starts up in ECO mode.
    • Fixed MCU Error messages appearing when upgrading some units.
    • Added translations for "ECO mode" in Dutch and Polish.
    • Added new StreamMagic splash-screen to unit start-up.
    • Replaced old Cambridge Connect app icons with new StreamMagic app icons.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    New firmware
    5th December 2019

v017-a-070

Features:

• Add support for Spotify Free.
    • Add repeat track (repeat-1) functionality to Spotify Connect.

Improvements:

• Improved Spotify preset handling.
    • Fixed AirPlay audio glitch when switching between AAC tracks.
    • Various Webmin updates.
    • Fixed CBUS power-on commands when unit starts up in ECO mode.
    • Fixed MCU Error messages appearing when upgrading some units.
    • Added translations for "ECO mode" in Dutch and Polish.
    • Added new StreamMagic splash-screen to unit start-up.
    • Replaced old Cambridge Connect app icons with new StreamMagic app icons.

Cool, I finally figured out Spotify only to find it required Premium. The Dutch an Polish it a big plus too.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 666
    edited December 2019
    It still sucks .....
    App still needs a complete and total makeover .....

Good thing it sounds so good ....

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • Nightfall
    StreamMagic update says it adds native Qobuz support? At work can't confirm.

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    edited December 2019
    Finally downloaded the StreamMagic app. I like it a lot better than the Cambridge Connect so far. Quick access to Spotify, Qobuz, Youtube music etc. Plus popular radio stations etc.

Update: Tidal's search feature doesn't work...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,124
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Update: Tidal's search feature doesn't work...
    Interesting, I haven't had any issues with it over the past few weeks.
    My biggest issue seems to be when my CXN is in standby, stream magic won't find it most of the time. Not a big deal, just turn it on with the remote and wait a second. But that's been the biggest glitch I've had.

I've also seen an improvement with keeping a constant signal from wifi with these past few updates. That's been nice.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    Tidal search works fine on my laptop, just not on my StreamMagic phone app. I'll have to send them an email ( again ) about that. Just sent them one regarding the Bluetooth feature stopped working after the update. Wanted to A/B test between using Bluetooth or USB cable on my laptop to see if I could hear any difference. If I can't I was thinking, for the time being anyways, to use Bluetooth as my 6 month old puppy keeps tripping over the USB cable...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Nightfall
    Isn't Chromecast higher quality that Bluetooth? I believe Bluetooth is lossy.