Cambridge CXN (V2) next acquisition

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    DSkip wrote: »
    On the 851N you can cycle the screen to show album cover, song information, or both together.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    It's playing with itself right now.

Let's hope the CXN is the only one doing that right now.

I would play some pocket pool but I'm not wearing any pants
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    DSkip wrote: »
    On the 851N you can cycle the screen to show album cover, song information, or both together.
    It's playing with itself right now.

Let's hope the CXN is the only one doing that right now.

Same on CXN
  • afterburnt
    @joecoulson which XLR's are you using?
  • joecoulson
    Audioquest Red River. From CXN to PS A stellar
    I have the same kind in 3m going from output on PS A to my SVS
    It has about a 6db Gain over RCA in this particular setup FYI.
  • joecoulson
    Also note that with the remote/app, you only have 8 channels for presets, but if you use the admin page to connect, you have 20
  • afterburnt
    edited February 2019
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Audioquest Red River. From CXN to PS A stellar
    I have the same kind in 3m going from output on PS A to my SVS
    It has about a 6db Gain over RCA in this particular setup FYI.

Those are spensive! I am thinking about trying some economical ones with my secondary system so I don't want to spend too much. Probably get some BJC's to replace the BJC RCA's.
  • afterburnt
    What a piece of kit! This streamer is working surprisingly well with my sortta HT system. Soundstage wide as hell and imaging are crazy and getting better as it plays. Havent run into a tune that it hasn't handled so far. I know I have some dog recordings in there but haven't got to em yet. On a scale of yes to no this is big "buy"! I already want it's big brother. I say "good move" picking thes guy up Skipper!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    I haven't managed to unbox mine yet even though it arrived on Tuesday. Hopefully tomorrow.
  • You guys are making me wanna to pull the trigger on this unit. Can’t wait to hear a review once you got some time on them.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • dago
    dago Posts: 38
    Can the CNX V2 pull music from iTunes on a PC ? I've heard tell the V1 could not, did they fix that issue in version 2 ?
  • afterburnt
    edited February 2019
    Dayglo, I have no idea however it explicity states that the USB port is not for Apple stuff which I find to be very noble.
  • dago
    dago Posts: 38
    It may support apple files, from a stick, Nas, but can it pull it wirelessly from a PC ? That's the crux of the matter and a deal killer for some.
  • afterburnt
    No affiliation with Cambridge. This is a sweet piece of kit. I want to rearrange stuff to get my Cambridge spinner on the same system. It is still doing everything with aplomb. Whatever the hell that is.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    Not to scab on the thread but what is the difference between the 851N and the CXN?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • afterburnt
    Or did you want to know about the "Beefy Guts"?
  • afterburnt
    @Clipdat were you the one that had the "Beefy Guts" pics?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    dago wrote: »
    It may support apple files, from a stick, Nas, but can it pull it wirelessly from a PC ? That's the crux of the matter and a deal killer for some.

Listen up newb. Let me give it to ya straight. If it can airplay, it can pull files from a pc running iTunes airplaying the files to the Cambridge. Capisce? Furthermore, no real audiophile would store their music files in Apple format. FLAC files for the win!!!

Now pardon me while I hide in the bomb shelter...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • audioluvr
    $600.00

Ju talking to me??? Which way?
    Or did you want to know about the "Beefy Guts"?

Sure "guts"
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,124
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Not to scab on the thread but what is the difference between the 851N and the CXN?
    Different DAC, upgraded power supply, AES digital input and additional coax and toslink inputs, slightly different remote for the Azure 851 line, probably a few other things I'm not aware of.

@DSkip had a 851N set up along side my CXN when I went to pick it up from him. He's had a little more time with both units than I had so he could possibly elaborate.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • audioluvr wrote: »
    Different DAC, upgraded power supply, AES digital input and additional coax and toslink inputs, slightly different remote for the Azure 851 line, probably a few other things I'm not aware of.

@DSkip had a 851N set up along side my CXN when I went to pick it up from him. He's had a little more time with both units than I had so he could possibly elaborate.

And aside from better Dacs .. It's built like a little tank. .mine isn't going anywhere soon. I don't move fast with anything😂😂
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • afterburnt
    @audioluvr I am really happy with this piece, I think I may end up running it in my main system. That won't happen for a while but I would love to compare it to my Aries Mini head up.
  • audioluvr
    Thanks all!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,160
    edited February 2019
    @audioluvr I am really happy with this piece, I think I may end up running it in my main system. That won't happen for a while but I would love to compare it to my Aries Mini head up.

Variables up the wazoo in that heads up comparison, unless you just swap out the 2 for that heads up ear test. Guess that's the only way you could test that out. Curious what you think once ya do it.
    Post edited by tophatjohnny on
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I thought the 851N is a preamp with a built in dac and streamer?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gudnoyez wrote: »
    I thought the 851N is a preamp with a built in dac and streamer?

It is Steve.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited February 2019
    So not needing a new preamp the CXN V2 is the way to go correct?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gudnoyez wrote: »

Yes it will do the trick.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    audioluvr wrote: »

Not sure if it matters, but the 851N doesn't support Chromecast. It's an older design vs. the CXN V2 which is newer.

I think the most important consideration though is whether you plan on using the internal DAC or not.

Guts:

851N:

851n_inside1.jpg

CXN V2:

Inside-cambridge-CXN.jpg

Cambridge-Audio-CXN-inside-top_big.jpg

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,124
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Turning off the preamp setting is an easy switch in the app settings. I don't use it either. It's there if you do need it, but I only needed the streamer and DAC elements for now. At some point I might only need it for the streaming element.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs