Cambridge CXN (V2) next acquisition

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,465
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Finally downloaded the StreamMagic app. I like it a lot better than the Cambridge Connect so far. Quick access to Spotify, Qobuz, Youtube music etc. Plus popular radio stations etc.

Update: Tidal's search feature doesn't work...

Did the FW update add native support for Qobuz to the CXN itself? I don't see it listed in the added features. Or is the app simply Chromecasting the Qobuz feed?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    I don't have the CXN. I have the 851N but the app shouldn't care what you're using. If the CXN doesn't support Qubuz I would think it will soon as the update for the 851N just came out 6 days ago.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 666
    edited December 2019
    Tidal search works fine for me iPhone and iPad .....

Bk

Finally downloaded the StreamMagic app. I like it a lot better than the Cambridge Connect so far. Quick access to Spotify, Qobuz, Youtube music etc. Plus popular radio stations etc.

Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • gyosa
    edited December 2019
    Ethernet cable is the way to go in my opinion .....
    I’d even use a spare WiFi router as a repeater/extender next to the Cambridge hardwired into it if I had to ..... much more stable connection ....

Bk

Interesting, I haven't had any issues with it over the past few weeks.
    My biggest issue seems to be when my CXN is in standby, stream magic won't find it most of the time. Not a big deal, just turn it on with the remote and wait a second. But that's been the biggest glitch I've had.

I've also seen an improvement with keeping a constant signal from wifi with these past few updates. That's been nice.

Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Or is the app simply Chromecasting the Qobuz feed?

I think this is the case. Is there really a difference though, aside from not being able to Qobuz without an Android or iOS device?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • gyosa
    edited December 2019
    I think it’s native ..... like Spotify ....
    My 851n doesn’t have CHROMECAST and its there ....
    My 851n did a firmware update the other day

Bk

Did the FW update add native support for Qobuz to the CXN itself? I don't see it listed in the added features. Or is the app simply Chromecasting the Qobuz feed?

• Nightfall
    gyosa wrote: »
    I think it’s native ..... like Spotify ....
    My 851n doesn’t have CHROMECAST and its there ....
    Bk

That's interesting. Not sure what to make of it now I guess.

• audioluvr
    Someone over there across the pond (as the Brits call it) must have been listening in because now the search feature is working! Sweet!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    Well I just found out my old tablet isn't supported by StreamMagic. Gonna have to send another email...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• gyosa

Sounds like a good excuse to get a new tablet !
    😊😊

Bk
    Well I just found out my old tablet isn't supported by StreamMagic. Gonna have to send another email...

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,465
    Hopefully the Qobuz support is native. I don't think gapless playback is possible via casting. That's the one thing holding me back from jumping on the Qobuz wagon. I suppose I should just download the darn FW myself. I'm always a little leery gabbing new FW too soon. I like to let everyone else find all the bugs first. :p
  • audioluvr
    Sounds like a good excuse to get a new tablet !
    😊😊

Bk

I suppose so!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,124
    Ethernet cable is the way to go in my opinion .....
    I’d even use a spare WiFi router as a repeater/extender next to the Cambridge hardwired into it if I had to ..... much more stable connection ....

Bk

Interesting, I haven't had any issues with it over the past few weeks.
    My biggest issue seems to be when my CXN is in standby, stream magic won't find it most of the time. Not a big deal, just turn it on with the remote and wait a second. But that's been the biggest glitch I've had.

I've also seen an improvement with keeping a constant signal from wifi with these past few updates. That's been nice.

Wireless wasn't really a major issue for me before, just had an occasional pause to load every couple weeks. But it's been a nonissue since the latest updates.

If things in my house were laid out differently I'd certainly look into wired ethernet, but at this point it would require shifting more work than I'm willing to put in to run a cable. It's the classic balancing act of living space, budget, and best audio you can achieve. It's almost most impossible to satisfy all 3 in most homes.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • audioluvr
    I seriously want to run an ethernet cable to my stereo but just the thought of crawling under/in my house's crawl space gives me the heeby jeebies. Was under there once several years ago and met up face to face with a snake. Granted it was a gardener but we have rattlers here too and that would not be so fun. Wireless it is! Besides I haven't had any issues with it other than it takes about 8-10 seconds for Tidal to load up on my laptop. No issues at all through my CA 851n.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I seriously want to run an ethernet cable to my stereo but just the thought of crawling under/in my house's crawl space gives me the heeby jeebies. Was under there once several years ago and met up face to face with a snake. Granted it was a gardener but we have rattlers here too and that would not be so fun. Wireless it is! Besides I haven't had any issues with it other than it takes about 8-10 seconds for Tidal to load up on my laptop. No issues at all through my CA 851n.

My basement is wireless. I've got the 851N running down there to an older iPad, occasionally I'll get a pause, but otherwise it's fine. Ethernet cable is for sure the best way to go, eventually I'll run a cable down there.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • displayname
    Discogs
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    I wonder why they're trying to imply that it's specific to the CXN Series 2. It's an ability of the Stream Magic App that facilitates the functionality as far as I can tell. I also see it as an available option on my 851N.

However I've been unable to add radio presets via the web interface on the 851N, something that I could do with the CXN V2. Anyone have any insight on this? The option simply isn't there when I access the 851N's IP address via my browser.
  • displayname
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I wonder why they're trying to imply that it's specific to the CXN Series 2.
    It's a multi-image post. They call out CXN, Edge N and 851N.

As for the radio though, I'm not sure about that one. It's not something I've really used yet.
    Discogs
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2019
    Oh I see, thanks for the clarification Willie.

And yeah the radio thing is just a one-time convenience when setting up presets, but I like to have them setup for background listening (they're only 320kbps streams), system warm-up, etc.

I emailed Cambridge about it and will share their reply here.
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2019
    Well that is disappointing. Makes it a whole lot more cumbersome to add presets. Seems like they are really pushing this StreamMagic app.

"Our webmin page for the 851N recently went through some changes, and this feature is not currently included. You will need to change or set presets through our StreamMagic app or on the unit itself.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
    Cambridge Audio USA"
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2019
    It's funny how in the firmware updates, they never mention the removal of features. The ability to set presets via webmin was added back in 2015, and now removed in 2019. I'm failing to understand why, as it doesn't make a lot of sense to remove a convenient feature that was previously added.
  • Nightfall
    How do you access the webadmin? How do you find the IP address assigned to the Cambridge?

• Clipdat
    You just put the IP address into a web browser. To find the IP you just view the current network configuration using the menus on the unit.
  • displayname
    This seems like the right thread for this...

Modwright tubes coming to the CXN.
    Discogs
  • displayname
    This seems like the right thread for this...

Modwright tubes coming to the CXN.
    Details and pricing are out now. Looks pretty interesting and priced right to me.

http://www.modwright.com/modifications/cambridge-cxn-v2-tube-modification.php

Cost stays below most options or combos from Lumin and Auralic, but above a Node + balanced tube dac like the Musical Paradise. Too bad the only real way to hear it will likely be to dive in.
    Discogs
  • Nightfall
    Interesting, thanks for posting.

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Do it!

Looks very promising.
  • displayname
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Do it!

Looks very promising.

Gotta find a new job first. It would be more tempting otherwise.
    Discogs
  • Clipdat
    edited November 2020
    So $2,599 ($1,099 unit + $1,500 mod) plus return shipping?

Doesn't that put it in new Auralic Altair G1 category at $2,700? https://us.auralic.com/products/altair-g1

I know which one I'd rather have, especially when you think about the app that controls the Cambridge vs the app that controls the Auralic.

That being said, I think it's cool that they are offering this modification, it probably sounds great.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Not to scab on the thread but what is the difference between the 851N and the CXN?

Not sure if it matters, but the 851N doesn't support Chromecast. It's an older design vs. the CXN V2 which is newer.

I think the most important consideration though is whether you plan on using the internal DAC or not.

Guts:

851N:

851n_inside1.jpg

CXN V2:

Inside-cambridge-CXN.jpg

Cambridge-Audio-CXN-inside-top_big.jpg

Not so beefy guts lol.