Cambridge CXN (V2) next acquisition

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Dam gamit, I spent all my time listening to gear and I got a bunch of new 5.1 stuff to listen to. Be advised, shut the **** up and listen.
  • afterburnt
    Oh, hamburgers you can't say ****?
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,287
    So what's the verdict? CXN or mini? Also are you using the Mini's internal dac or external?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    AHEM - I will answer for him - its the CXN...
  • erniejade
    joecoulson wrote: »
    AHEM - I will answer for him - its the CXN...

Is the mini running a stock power supply? There is a big jump up from the stock. I have a TeraDak. I can say I hear a difference between the stock and the TeraDak. I am also going to a tube dac with the mini.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • joecoulson
    Ernie, I actually only have the CXN and was TIC about saying it was best.
    I assume if you have a really good DAC, IMO the results would most likely be close, if relying on the unit, IMO the CXN should win.
    all IMO
  • erniejade
    That makes sense. I can totally see internal dac on the CXN would sound better.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,123
    But the internal DAC on the CXN can certainly be beat. I'm still very much enjoying the internal DAC of the CXN, but that wouldn't stop me from looking for/jumping on a great deal for a good DAC if it came up at the right time.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • afterburnt
    erniejade wrote: »
    So what's the verdict? CXN or mini? Also are you using the Mini's internal dac or external?

@erniejade I only tried the mini with the pre box s2 and then I gave up. Like I said the cxn v2 was the clear winner. I do have the mini on an ifi ps not the linear
  • erniejade
    Thanks. So far i have a lumin d1 on one rig and an aries mini in a tube dac11 with a 60's mullard tube on the livingroom rig. The cambridge stuff has my interest peaked.
  • joecoulson
    Let’s hit that room too. That have some cool new gear.
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    Maybe I've missed it somewhere, so please inform me. Does the Cambridge CNX (V2) do multi-room streaming/audio? I currently have the gen1 Blue Sound Node2 and was debating whether to sell my 3 units at a loss to upgrade to the nominally better 2i, or just save for the next level multi room streamer (like AURALIC).

Any inputs/additional info appreciated.
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • joecoulson
    If you are stepping up and have the coin, my vote would be for a next level streamer like the Vega G1. I heard the G2 at Axpona, but to be fair they were on YG Acoustic towers and I’m not sure anything would sound bad on those. It is the streamer I am looking to upgrade from and I have the CXN V2
  • joecoulson
    And I do not think the Cambridge does multiroon by itself.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It would be interesting if they released an update to integrate Qobuz into the CXN the way Tidal is integrated. But until that happens I see no reason to use anything but Tidal with the CXN.

The way that it's natively integrated/supported is absolutely sublime.

@Clipdat how is Qobuz used with the CXN?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,524
    edited August 2019
    Nightfall wrote: »
    @Clipdat how is Qobuz used with the CXN?

Unfortunately, it hasn't yet been implemented "natively" into the Cambridge Connect app. Not sure what the delay is!

Therefore the only way to do it right now is to use the Qobuz app on your phone and use Chromecast to stream it to the CXN.
    Post edited by Clipdat on
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,123
    I get the feeling the Chromecast integration is a big reason they haven’t jumped on a native solution yet. It’s a good work around for now so they can continue working on integrating for new products. If they can easily make it backwards compatible then I’m sure they will, but I’d imagine they want to keep the focus on new products first.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Clipdat
    I will email them about it and post the response here.
  • Clipdat
    I asked them about this on August 6th, they followed up today August 13th with an answer:

"It might be something we include in the future, but there is no release date or time frame."
  • Nightfall
    That means "You've got casting, leave us alone."

• Clipdat
    Hah, yeah, pretty much.
  • Nightfall
    edited August 2019
    96kbps AAC on Tidal HiFi subscription? What's up? Do I have a setting wrong?

Edit: Maybe something is wrong with my ears because this doesn't sound like 96kbps. Nevermind, it's definitely 96kbps.

euuzktc7ji73.jpg
    Post edited by Nightfall on

• Nightfall
    edited August 2019
    Also, can you not search Tidal from the Cambridge Connect app or only listen to artists you have put in your "collection"?

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    Nightfall wrote: »
    96kbps AAC on Tidal HiFi subscription? What's up? Do I have a setting wrong?

Edit: Maybe something is wrong with my ears because this doesn't sound like 96kbps. Nevermind, it's definitely 96kbps.

TiDAL offers MQA hi-rez recordings for a good number of algums. I'm listening to Beck's Sea Change through Roon on the Bryston right now.

LOTS of controversy as to whether it actually sounds better or worse lol, but it does get decoded as 96kbps...and its a nice option to have.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • joecoulson
    Weird that it’s AAC though right? Typically it shows as MQA or FLAC. AAC is Apple’s lossless format.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    edited August 2019
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Weird that it’s AAC though right? Typically it shows as MQA or FLAC. AAC is Apple’s lossless format.

Ah yes it’s almost a flac file unfolded as MQA. Didn’t catch that part lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Nightfall
    Can you force it to just stream the normal FLAC? Some albums sounded good others not so much, it was very confusing.

• Clipdat
    Usually if it's trying to play the AAC it means Tidal doesn't have the FLAC version of that file/album in it's library.
  • Nightfall
    Everything was playing as 96kbps AAC. Electric Wizard, Clutch, Tool, everything I tried last night.

• Clipdat
    Then it's an account setting issue. I would try to log into tidal.com and check the account.