This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,973
    Another recovery from my dad's collection: Technics SU-V8X integrated.
    exa7269vdq9e.jpg
    ugy87b9p8ffq.jpg
    4X 8600uF filter caps, and a hefty transformer. 120WPC into 8 ohms. Total weight close to 30lbs.
    This model has the 'Computer Drive New Class A', which apparently has something to do with self/synchro-biasing. This unit needs some love, but so far I am impressed with the sound. It's not a full-on beast, but approaching that status in a relative way, especially compared to its contemporaries from Japan.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    ^^^ Neat-o! I've never seen that model before.
    Thanks for posting those images.

• jdjohn
    I can always count on you, Mark, to appreciate the oddities and one-offs :)
    This model has those nasty Technics twisty speaker wire posts on the back, and several of them have broken-off :s
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    there're a couple of pieces here with those -- none has broken, though (so far). I guess I am lucky(?).
  • jdjohn
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    there're a couple of pieces here with those -- none has broken, though (so far). I guess I am lucky careful(?).
    Fixed it for ya ;)
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Another recovery from my dad's collection: Technics SU-V8X integrated.
    exa7269vdq9e.jpg
    ugy87b9p8ffq.jpg
    4X 8600uF filter caps, and a hefty transformer. 120WPC into 8 ohms. Total weight close to 30lbs.
    This model has the 'Computer Drive New Class A', which apparently has something to do with self/synchro-biasing. This unit needs some love, but so far I am impressed with the sound. It's not a full-on beast, but approaching that status in a relative way, especially compared to its contemporaries from Japan.

From what I've read, some of the New Class A stuff is very good, particularly the earlier examples, which yours appears to be. As you get into later, mid 80s stuff like the SU-v75 that I had (I think) It is all plastic but still sounds solidly OK.

I have yet to find any earlier New Class A models in the flesh. :)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,421
    there're a couple of pieces here with those -- none has broken, though (so far). I guess I am lucky(?).

Hard to break a shelf queen
  • mhardy6647
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Hard to break a shelf queen

There is that -- actually the Technicses get loaned out on occasion, so they do get the occasional twist.

:)
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Beautiful piece of equipment.

That's what she said!
  • jdjohn
    Wardsweb wrote: »
    Luxman PD-121 with a beautiful Grace 714 teak tonearm.

u3ojt4ryvax4.jpg
    Gorgeous. I have the 704 version of that arm, and they are true works of art!

I noticed you have a Shanling CD player. I have one of their portable digital audio players (DAP), and it sounds quite good. I had no idea they made higher-end components.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Still have a sansui 771 sitting here doing nothing if anyone is interested. Trade ? Very clean.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,189
    That's pretty phat, Luthor! What material is that platter?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

The platter is aluminum. The mat is rubber.
  • jdjohn
    Wardsweb wrote: »
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

The platter is aluminum. The mat is rubber.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say 'cast' aluminum...as opposed to stamped :s
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    You've got SKILLs. ;)
    B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • jdjohn
    Most impressive young Skywalker. :)
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I for one, hate using spring clips for speaker wires.
    Good job on that worthwhile project.

Thanks guys! But...not sure about that 'young' part :)
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    jdjohn wrote: »
    A Dual 1019...who else is excited?!?
    fbwa77ouf33k.jpg

I got a Dual 721. The speed varies a bit. I’m afraid to try to fix this after the photo. 😲

Anyone know the pecking order for this against other Dual’s?

Lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's in the old Duder's head.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960
    Call or email or check the website of Fixmydual
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    edited April 2020
    It looks like you have the amperage to drive them.

That's cool how the flood/spot lights can't shine their light on all of those towers and bass cabinets fronts. Man are they BIG!

Congrats!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • LoStrings
    LoStrings Posts: 38
    Tony M wrote: »
    It looks like you have the amperage to drive them.

That's cool how the flood/spot lights can't shine their light on all of those towers and bass cabinets fronts. Man are they BIG!

Congrats!
    Thanks Tony, yes it takes a lot of amp to drive these..they are the lowest sensitivity speaker I have ever owned, but with the right power, they really shine.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,061
    LoStrings,

Love that MASSIVE appearance!!

Harry
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • LoStrings
    LoStrings Posts: 38
    LoStrings,

Love that MASSIVE appearance!!

Harry

Thanks, Harry, the only problem is it is a lot to move around to listen to other speakers in my rotation.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    JayMX.

That 626 sure turned out nice!
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    LoStrings wrote: »
    I’ve been lusting over a set of Infinity QLS-1’s for many years, and I finally fulfilled my dream of getting a pair. I was fortunate to find a set that was completely restored...16i5nscfzmsz.jpeg

That setup is just scary looking WOW!!