This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    Might hafta take you up on that, Doc!

Haha, houses were definitely a lot cheaper around here back when I had ye ole paper root. Easily about 1/4 of what they are now, if not 1/5 or 1/6. It's funny to think back on the fantasy of using today's dollars on yesteryear's expenses.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    edited January 2021
    I happened across a couple of sites the other night after we were talking about old tape decks and cassette tapes.

http://vintagecassettes.com/index.htm
    This site has information on brands, history, and photos of tapes along with small blurbs on them. I haven't explored this site much yet, but it's neat to see photos of the old tapes I used to use so proudly. That in itself was funny, because no one ever really saw them, except for friends or chicks I'd make mix tapes for. Make a chick a syrupy mix tape to show off your sensitivity, or some other playlist to show off whatever side of yourself you thought she'd go for. This worked for me zero times, by the way. So it's obviously a proven tactic.

I think I was a cassette elitist just because they looked cooler than others, and *must* have sounded better because they cost more. It certainly had nothing to do with my "gear". With my piddly jobs as a kid, I was only able to acquire these kinds of tapes due to intermittent association with the unscrupulous. You know. Guys like Ivan @pitdogg2

Then this site, where you can order cassettes (other places better deals for US based, I think; Ebay, etc.) Not so much for the ordering, but more just for viewing the brand pages where you can read up some on the history of the companies, etc. Here's an example for TDK.
    https://www.cassettecomeback.com/collections/tdk-cassettes

4uk8kkpncwet.png
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    I like(d) TDK tapes although I used both TDK (SA, andsome AD Type I) and Maxell (UD/XLII, mostly) extensively (for cassette recording) BITD.

The tapes I made 40 plus years ago on a very modest Yamaha TC-511S still sound surprisingly good. Kinda hard to complain, you know?

For reel to reel, Maxell UD all the way, though :)
    I do have a couple of reels of TDK Audua "L", and it's fine, too.

10174120105_9c31b655bb_c.jpgsmall%20maxell%20UD3590 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • mhardy6647
    A 90 minute reel like the one above has 1800 feet of tape on it :)
    That's a wee bit over a third of a mile of tape.
    It's -- kinda bad -- if something happens, e.g., when fast winding an 1800 foot tape and it spills.

:#
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    edited January 2021
    My preferred was TDK SA tapes. I could never seem to record the Maxell UD/XLII correctly it seemed.
    I did buy some TDK metal and Denon metal tapes once I got paid by Scott @msg for .... You know "nefarious" stuff I sold him.....

The Denon metal tapes were the very best tape I've ever recorded on. In fact last year I still seen 2 of the Denon metal tapes with some of the 50 or so tapes I had taken to work 25yrs ago. Some of those tapes I know for a fact are 40+ yrs old and still play( of course Fidelity I can't really can't say) on a small cassette player.

• tramp59
    tramp59 Posts: 13
    My '66 Fisher 440T.

81w7kq6tb40f.jpg
    Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.
    HST
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,482
    Nice looking Yamahas and the Thorens is sweet, too.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,373
    n98yu3l46sox.jpg

Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • pitdogg2
    You stole it for $40. Those are legit!
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 600
    On a side note I see that there's another one somewhat local, although it ain't 40 bucks. No affiliation. jfchgnl4625r.jpg
    https://ventura.craigslist.org/ele/d/ventura-sansui-tu-717-am-fm-stereo-tuner/7497468998.html
  • pitdogg2
    edited June 2022
    If it works as described, worth every penny. Too bad it doesn't have the handles.
  • mhardy6647
    My only complaint about the TU-717 is that it sounds pretty mediocre. It's a good, "hot" radio, though.
    I don't use mine. The old Sherwoods, the Kenwood KT-9900, and the Mac MR-67 are much nicer to listen to.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I already had the amplifier, but I picked up the tuner today for 40 dollars.
    podk7rodc6a1.jpg

Cool integrated!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 600
    A guy local to me is dreaming of selling his vintage system so that he can put his son through medical school. :D
    obxyff08t05y.jpg
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960
    I purchased that Spec gear when it came out and I was very disappointed.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2022
    dromunds wrote: »
    I purchased that Spec gear when it came out and I was very disappointed.

Yeah, but it has that cachet that makes it worth (relatively) Big Bucks.
    ... and it is cool looking.

Plus that guy needs the real Pioneer SPEC racks. :)
    Speaking of things that fetch ridiculous amounts of money relative to their actual quality. B)

7dw93gzkou3a.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    I do use one of 'em in the hifi room upstairs -- the other one is full of junky hifi in the basement :)

25596704897_3c162bea91_c.jpg
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,973
    Dreaming indeed...unrealistic expectations on value
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2022
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Dreaming indeed...unrealistic expectations on value

COVID did bring a bubble in vintage hifi prices, though -- that's for sure.
    I do love this stuff (as folks have doubtless noticed) -- but mostly for nostalgic reasons, albeit with some exceptions.
    BUT I do think that many of the rabid, AK-style vintage (1970s-style) hifi nuts probably haven't heard really good audio reproduction. If they had, they wouldn't cling so tightly to... you know, Sansui 9090DB or JBL L-100s (e.g.), other than as museum pieces. Shelf queens.
    The "statement" consumer hifi pieces of the mid to late-70s will never be repeated and do have a place as collectibles, irrespective of their performance in the light of modern capabilities. Sort of like 1960s muscle cars.

EDIT: In full disclosure -- yeah, I'd have a muscle car, too, if I had the space and the disposable cash ;) Hifi is cheaper and more compact.

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,973
    Anyone familiar with this series of reel tapes? "Treasure Tapes" of various genres, apparently promoted by Tuck recording tapes.
    9yxkt9fawj5p.jpg
    7fi8rnhicmcd.jpg
    I came across these in my dad's collection, and finally decided to play a few tonight. I find them to be of good quality, and very enjoyable! The recordings are dynamic, low-noise, and have excellent stereo separation IMO.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Sounds like a trip back in time and with high quality sound. Can't beat that.

I played some old Country Cds about a year ago.... :o ... and when the recordings are good quality, I can listen to it. Like Willie Nelson, he has a lot of fine recordings. But I even went further back on some Cds.

I can see my parents listening to their console and even dancing a little in the living room to that old country music. My dad played the guitar and could sing some too. Hee Haw was a weekly viewing for sure. :p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.