This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Looks like a good deal. Hope everything works.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tramp59
    tramp59 Posts: 13
    Noice
    Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.
    HST
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    You should have stuck around to see if she had any old (gold) coins laying around.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,648
    ezd8pvhs9xmq.jpg
    Denon DP-1200

Very nice!
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    I've really enjoyed the Cerwin Vega's I've had here. I like BASS. :D

That receiver looks GREAT. B)

Where will the sale be held?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,973
    Tony M wrote: »
    I've really enjoyed the Cerwin Vega's I've had here. I like BASS. :D

That receiver looks GREAT. B)

Where will the sale be held?
    Hi Tony,

The sale will be here in Nashville... probably in Oct. The Onkyo receiver is certainly shippable...the HED/CV speakers, not so much. Those are quite big and DEEP. I can take pics of them if needed.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    joebass3 wrote: »
    I picked up some gear and am setting up a vintage system in a small area in my basement. Found an old butcher block counter top and turned it into a rack to house everything. Walls are still bare but at least it's a start.

Looking for advice on the 7b's. The cabinets are rough so I was contemplating putting veneer on them. Not sure if I want all the wood matchy matchy. What wood and color should I stain them?

I mean... I'd suggest painting it all black... but... well... you know...

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/29186/where-to-buy-black-paint/p1

:#

• soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,373
    Is black paint back on the market????
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • mhardy6647
    Is black paint back on the market????

I think it's still embargoed. :#
  • joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 242

[/quote]

I mean... I'd suggest painting it all black... but... well... you know...

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/29186/where-to-buy-black-paint/p1

:#

[/quote]

Actually joking aside that's not a bad idea! Already enough wood in there. Maybe I'll try a black vinyl wrap on them.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,261
    j4zdqti7flui.png
    a9djjvvn43eh.png

I'm picking this up for free sometime next week thought you guys might know a little more about it than me. I know it has at least 12 tubes, I'm not sure if this model has the electrostatic tweeter or if it has the separate stereo amp which could be added when bought new back in 1959.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2023
    Nice! :) It will need some rehab -- you probably know that already.
    I've never seen electrostatic tweeters in a Zenith (which isn't to say there weren't any!) -- they were relatively common in Philco and (West!) German components of the late 50s/very early 60s, though.

When you get it, get the chassis number (or numbers, if the add-on stereo amp/speaker is also included) and I'll check to see 1) if it is in Sams (it should be) and 2) if I have the Sams folder (I very well may). The chassis number is usually stamped on the back (or top) of the chassis. It is different than the model number (which is probably on a tag on the back of the console). Sams uses chassis numbers for indexing rather than model numbers. https://www.samswebsite.com/en/aboutus

... and it's got the "Cobramatic" changer, cool!!! Note the eyes on the "headshell" :)

n8el1nptnxj8.png

Zenith in the 1950s used several different versions of a 12 inch "extended range" AlNiCo driver that are held in rather high regard in certain circles... prices of those drivers on the open market testify to this popularity ;) I am just sayin'. B)

• invalid
    I know it will need some work, I read that some people got a shock when trying to power these things up, which is a bad idea even if you don't get a shock. It either has the dreaded death capacitor or the chassis is hot when the line cord is not plugged in the proper polarity. I did click on the sam's link on another audio forum, the model number showed up, but it wasn't highlighted to click onto.
  • mhardy6647
    It is very unlikely that your :) Zenith has a hot chassis (so-called "AC-DC" design, with no power transformer). It looks to be a considerably higher-end unit. Yes, the death cap may need attention. More of a concern is the condition of the electrolytic capacitors in it (particularly the power supply caps, and particularly the first filter cap, which gets the most abuse, so to speak) and the interstage coupling caps.
    You might want to consider building a "DBT" (Dim Bulb Tester) if you don't have one or investing in a Variac to bring it back to life slowly and gently if it's not currently in regular use and/or if it hasn't been rehabbed in the last decade or two. It is possible to "re-form" electrolytics (sometimes), but it's also possible that they're too far gone already. :| Dealing with capacitor replacement is straightforward and even relatively inexpensive, although HV caps of appropriate "form factor" are getting harder to find. :/
    I am guessing (!!) it's got a push-pull EL84 ampifier of - likely - pretty decent quality.

As an aside (and FWIW, which ain't much) I do have a small stereo Zenith single-ended EL84 amp here someplace -- the design which that ol' rascal Steve Deckert ripped off (by his own admission, although he used nicer language to describe it!) for his "Zen" SE84 amplifiers. :#
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2023
    Looks like it is in Sams set number 448 folder 16. I will check and see if I have it... anon. B)

Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • invalid
    Thanks mhardy6647. I planned on recapping it before I power it up, I doubt it has been used in years, the lady who bought it new (or her husband) is in her 90's. She gave it to my sister-in-law, who takes care of her.
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 600
    edited April 2023
    Bitter sweet day today. I sold my Sansui AU-717. I purchased it on a visit to SinCity last July. It sat most of it's brief time with not being utilized.

This morning a ran an ad on OfferUp where I listed it along with some other Sansui components. Not surprisingly the AU-717 gathered the most attention. 3 hours after the ad came out a buyer gave me 500 clams for the Sansui, and off it went.

Bitter sweet indeed.
  • la2vegas
    3 hours after my previous post^
    Bye bye to my Yamaha CA-2010 :(
    the sell-off continues...
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,373
    That's gotta suck, but should be a real nice chunk O change!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • la2vegas
    That's gotta suck, but should be a real nice chunk O change!

It feels like a punch in the stomach, but in reality I have way too many components that I don't use on a routine basis.

When I'm finished purging my audio obsession I'm hoping to transfer the funds into another hobby that perhaps I'll get more use out of.

Now if only I could sell some speakers... :#