What Is Your Other Main Hobby Besides Audio?

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited January 2020
    Milito wrote: »
    Two models I built of the two cars I had in High School. Colors are correct along with chrome reverse wheels on 57 Chevy. Not the best job on the paint on both of them as my hands aren't as steady as when I was younger. I built a lot of models when I was young.

Also did a lot of slot car racing, but never took a picture of the tracks I built on plywood. Also raced 1/8 gas R/C cars in the late 70's. Sorry for quality of pictures as they are very old.

I would guess that Camaro is a '67 because there doesn't appear to be any side marker lights.

The red #16 looks like a late 70s/early 80s Ferrari 512 Berlinetta Boxer in full race trim.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    edited January 2020
    I had a 68 Z/28, sharp eye as I hadn't noticed that. I remember I had trouble finding a model of a Z/28 so I had to get what I could find.

As far as the Ferrari, I don't remember. The Cam Am cars handled a lot better than the GT cars we raced. The shape of the body made a big difference in how the car handled. We rarely raced GT cars. The 1/8 scale cars back then would hit around 50 mph on the straights we ran with 5.8 to 1 gears with the 3.5cc motors at 40,000 rpm with a fuel mix of 25 to 40% nitro.

I was in a series where we travel to 7 cities during the season with 100 to 120 people racing. We ran the ABC system where the fastest heat was the A main with 7 cars racing. We ran 20 minute races with 2 pit stops for fuel. The fuel tanks were limited to 4 oz and the cars had to weigh a min of 5lbs.
    Post edited by Milito on
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Very cool on the RC stuff.
    I actually got into it right after you in very early 80’s
    I had a Tamiya 4WD Hotshot II. Was so bad azz
    Used to race and had all kinds of mods.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I used to have the Frog and my favorite that was a decked out, completely customized Super Champ (electric RC dune buggy's). Ton's of money and fun back in the day!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Milito
    edited January 2020
    Yea I really got into racing the R/C stuff Joe back then. Went to Florida twice, once for the Winter Nationals and once for a 24 hour race. A friend had a hobby shop and was real tight with one of the manufacturers of 1/8 scale cars so I got all of the latest parts. I loved building the engines the most and blew up a few.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • joecoulson
    Very cool
    Of course the tech today is mind boggling. But the money hasn’t changed. It still costs a fortune.
  • Milito
    Yes it was expensive back then just like today.
  • treitz3
    Difference between now versus then was back then, they were at a "cost" of how many lawns it took to buy something. Ah, to be young again....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Yup.
    Back when a 12 year old could go to a store and buy modeling glue/cement off the shelf.

I also built a lot of models.

My older brother wanted me to huff glue in a bag with him around 1974.

"No way!", I told him. I also told him... "That's just wrong". :s
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited January 2020
    Opps
    Randy/Maine
  • treitz3
    edited January 2020
    Whoa...I just found one of the old Super Champs on E-Bay....

78tyqumznri1.png

Super stable? HA!!! That's what got me to modify it. After about the 15th front bumper and countless sets of front arms along with broken circuit board type (frames), I completely tore it apart and put the battery in a location to where when you jumped, it actually landed on the tires and not the front bumper. Out of the box, it was anything but stable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-Super-Champ-Vintage-1982-RC-Car-1-10-Scale-5834-Remote-Control-NIB/123843604752?hash=item1cd5a77110:g:mHUAAOSwEMddM2UE

Mine had a much better bumper though. Many, many, many of them over the course of me owning it. LOL. I gotta admit, I'm actually thinking about pulling the trigger on this one so that I can do it all over again with my son!

Tom
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I have recently gotten back into RCs.

Once I get unlazy, I will snap some pics and post them up.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Milito
    Car payment on your R/C car, lol.

Never thought I would see that.
  • treitz3
    Joe, i was gonna get that one BITD but IIRC, the frame was a one piece, plastic frame. You couldn't really modify it much and if it broke? Well, I would have been SOL.

If ya' couldn't tell, I rode 'em hard.....like my women. o:)

Tom
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Milito wrote: »
    Two models I built of the two cars I had in High School. Colors are correct along with chrome reverse wheels on 57 Chevy. Not the best job on the paint on both of them as my hands aren't as steady as when I was younger. I built a lot of models when I was young.

Also did a lot of slot car racing, but never took a picture of the tracks I built on plywood. Also raced 1/8 gas R/C cars in the late 70's. Sorry for quality of pictures as they are very old.

I would guess that Camaro is a '67 because there doesn't appear to be any side marker lights.

The red #16 looks like a late 70s/early 80s Ferrari 512 Berlinetta Boxer in full race trim.

'67 had wing windows...
  • treitz3
    https://www.antiquetoys.com/product/tamiya-toyota-4x4-rc-helix-truck-upcoming-antique/?v=7516fd43adaa

Finally found the one I always wanted as a kid. Bought a moped instead.

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited January 2020
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Its a freshwater with all live plants

Them scalares wouldn't be too happy in salt water ;)
    Beautiful angelfish they are.
    I bred 'em for a while in my (much) younger days. Not fancy ones, though... the plain ol' black striped silver ones that were 'community tank' staples in the seventies. Among the few cichlids that won't look at all the other little fishies as prey. :)

• treitz3
    edited January 2020
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    That there speaks volumes on what kind of woman you rode hard......

Needed the moped to get the girls out to the park after we snuck out...the car didn't come 'till years later.

Word to the wise. NEVER make out in the middle of a poison Ivy patch under the "romantic moonlight". For some reason, everyone at school knew what happened when we missed school because of it.

Ah, to be a kid again...

Tom
  • treitz3
    edited January 2020
    rql2fnqle3mc.png

Had this one...would go really fast with the gear, battery and motor changes. I had it down to 4 minutes run time at one point. F a s t ....although I still had the other parts to make it run up to about a half an hour....maybe a little bit more when I didn't want to blow my wad real quick and just wanted to play. That motor(s) or twelve burnt my hands on more than one occasion, I tell you! Damn, that thing was like a freshly fired pistol sometimes!

My first one was this one. POS but still a lot of fun!

rd9c6s4qbqqr.png

Man, what great memories!

Tom
  • joecoulson
    Tom. I had a modified frame from Fiberglas that was kick **** along with upgraded drive shafts, shocks, a 9 turn motor and 7 cell custom made Sanyos. Man did it fly.
  • joecoulson
    edited January 2020
    Mark, Thank You man. I am quite proud of how the tank has/is turning out. I’ll post more shots on the aquarium thread.

Edit:Sorry. Quoted wrong fellow
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    Look forward to seeing those pics Joe.
  • mhardy6647 wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Its a freshwater with all live plants

Them scalares wouldn't be too happy in salt water ;)
    Beautiful angelfish they are.
    I bred 'em for a while in my (much) younger days. Not fancy ones, though... the plain ol' black striped silver ones that were 'community tank' staples in the seventies. Among the few cichlids that won't look at all the other little fishies as prey. :)
    Large Angelfish WILL eat young Neon Tetras though.
  • joecoulson
    There are Cardinal Tetras and are about 1 1/2 long. They aren’t getting eaten.
  • joecoulson wrote: »
    There are Cardinal Tetras and are about 1 1/2 long. They aren’t getting eaten.
    I see they are Cardinal Tetras and are safe. I lost 13 very young Neons overnight years ago to my large Angelfish :#
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    When I was a lad I got into RC electric cars. My first kit was a Kyosho Optima. My brother in law was big time into RC and he had gas and electric cars as well as some airplanes IIRC. He suggested an Team Associated RC10. The Optima was total dog but the RC10’s had a wealth of mods available. Ya, that stuff was very expensive.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • joecoulson
    Didn't want to "like" that comment Binky, but I sympathize.