What Is Your Other Main Hobby Besides Audio?

Options

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    @halo Great photos! Looks like you were having a good time.
  • maxward
    Options
    I have been roasting my own coffee for about 10 years. Started with a hot air (fluid bed) roaster that did about 4 ounces per batch. Then moved up to a Behmor drum roaster that can do up to a pound. I also co-own a bigger drum system that is adapted to my gas Weber grill. It can theoretically do 8-pound batches, but we typically do 5 to 6 pounds at a time every 3 to four weeks. No stale coffee around here.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    I have been roasting my own coffee for about 10 years. Started with a hot air (fluid bed) roaster that did about 4 ounces per batch. Then moved up to a Behmor drum roaster that can do up to a pound. I also co-own a bigger drum system that is adapted to my gas Weber grill. It can theoretically do 8-pound batches, but we typically do 5 to 6 pounds at a time every 3 to four weeks. No stale coffee around here.
    Do you sell any of these coffee beans? We have turned into coffee snobs over the years and this sounds interesting....

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Beer, mostly various Barrel aged stouts, barley wines, porters, meads, quads, scotch ales, etc. It gets expensive quickly as each new limited run that I find, I have to buy. Most of it will age nicely for a year or two or more. So I'm socking it away much like I do (did) with tubes. Probably have close to 100 bottles of different varieties, many being 4/pks, some being singles.

Nothing too exotic, mostly stuff I can get around here. New Holland's Dragon's Milk variants being one of my favorites. Not huge beer fan overall, but these hearty barrel aged beers, milk stouts, porters and barely wines are nice to sit down and sip. They have so many dimensions of flavors to enjoy. Not an IPA guy at all, but I will say some of the milkshake IPA's can be pretty tasty.

Never been one to sit down and drink a 6/pk or Miller Lite or Coors light, etc. But I done enjoy a well done aged stout or that style on a regular basis.

Last night had a 10oz snifter of Tyranena Brewer's Gone Wild Series - Carnal Knowledge Double Oatmeal Stout

https://tyranena.com/wordpress2/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Carnal-Knowledge.jpg

and Stone Woot Stout

and Pipeworks - PB&J Jones Dog milk stout

The Bruery - 11 Pipers Piping.

H9

Post edited by heiney9 on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    In fact I've gotten so many varieties of beer "aging" in the seller (cool dark basement). I've now gotten an app on my phone to track inventory and release year so I don't duplicate.

We opened a regular Dragon's Milk the other night that has been in the basement for 2 years.....that was a bit better than the stuff bottled last month.....lol. Also found a 4 year old Scotch Ale I didn't know I still had and that was superb after sitting for 4 years. The depth and intensity was much improved.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Now if they found a way to put beer in tubes for audio, Brock might die from the endless org-asm he'd have. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    edited August 2019
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Now if they found a way to put beer in tubes for audio, Brock might die from the endless org-asm he'd have. :)

Oh mannnn…………...that would be awesome! :p

I do have to dial it back on the beer hoarding. So many great little breweries in the suburbs. Many of them brewing excellent small batch stuff. I'm like a kid in a candy store. My GF has to reign me in or I'll over spend like crazy!! Lol.

H9

• heiney9
    edited August 2019
    Options
    We are going up to Central Waters Brewery in Amherst WI in October for their annual beer festival and they are releasing - Black Gold, a Russian imperial stout aged for 3 years in bourbon barrels. You have to purchase a ticket a head of time to even have the opportunity to buy a bottle. With said ticket you can buy up to 5 (bomber sized) bottles for $20 each.

So I'm looking forward to that, as Central Waters Brewers Reserve series is among my favorites.

H9
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    @halo Vic nice pics! Looks like you had a great time! I'm kinda feeling it too, wish my brother was in the same place you are. I talk to him and pray for him everyday.

And BTW Vic, dude you got some guns! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    You're a **** badass, Victor.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    Battle of the minds.
    nmc3su14edx7.png

Use to play a lot in college my first few years. I always loved playing, but haven't played in a long while.

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    I'm too goddamn dumb for chess.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    @halo Vic nice pics! Looks like you had a great time! I'm kinda feeling it too, wish my brother was in the same place you are. I talk to him and pray for him everyday.

And BTW Vic, dude you got some guns! :)

Thanks for the kind words Dave. I'm working very hard at this and I'm relatively new to it (only started CrossFit last year). Being surrounded by great people who are very supportive helps a lot. If you recall, I had an exacerbation last May and things were really difficult. It took a while to come back from that and it hasn't been easy any step of the way but I am very grateful for the abilities I have. I know that what I do/am able to do doesn't apply to most of the people out there living with MS. I hope your brother gets better soon, I really do. I do the best I can and that's really all I can do. If I leave everything on the table, every day, I can't look back on things and have regrets. No one is perfect and there's no such thing as "normal." We're all living with something that is less than ideal in our lives.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    You're a **** badass, Victor.

Thanks Drew, I appreciate that :) I'm just doing my thing brother.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    Options
    Congrats Victor. Nice tat also.
  • maxward
    Options
    Seconded. Looks like two nice tats.

@kevhed72 I have not considered selling coffee. My little one-pound roaster isn’t designed for heavy-duty use. The bigger one is too much like flying by the seat of one’s pants to be a serious roaster. If it weren’t for the fun of getting together with some friends on a regular basis, I’d probably sell my share of it. It’s impossible to see or sample beans during a roast. Temperature monitoring is not ideal and the audible cues, first and second cracks, are harder to hear than with other roasters.
  • verb
    Options
    I've always been fascinated with Astronomy. In fact, growing up, I was headed toward a career in that direction. Reality set in, realizing that most astronomers are either unemployed while waiting for a government grant, or working alternative jobs.

So I decided to pursue aerospace. But still fascinated with it, I keep it as one of my hobbies. I've built many telescopes, from refracting spotting scopes made from projection screen TV lens assemblies, to Newtonian reflectors.

Edmund scientific would sell a lot of the optics kits back in the day!

My pride and joy, Celestron CPC-1100 Schmidt Cassegrain! 11" primary mirror, and GPS enabled focusing ability! I just wish I had more free time to enjoy it.

vbiu11osubbn.png

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    edited August 2019
    Options
    We've got a fast 6" Newtoninan on an old-school (no computers!) equatorial mount down in the basement. :)

I've also got a cheap little Orion Schmidt Cassegrain camera lens/scope that occasionally gets pressed into service :)

36732875525_5fcf91b48e_b.jpgDSC_9459 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    Note my bespoke, carefully crafted aperture reduction device for viewing solar eclipses.

Light pollution is something a factor even here in mid-nowhere :( (if we were but 30 miles further north, skies are dark according to the websites that track such things) -- but we do get some dark skies sometimes. Last night was what I call a Milky Way night -- tho' the photo below isn't from last night :p

14741348352_94405dc897_b.jpgDSC_9751 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(yeah, I know I've posted all of this, including photos, before... perhaps even in this very thread already! :p )

• verb
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    We've got a fast 6" Newtoninan on an old-school (no computers!) equatorial mount down in the basement. :) I've also got a
    Light pollution is a factor even here in mid-nowhere :( (if we were but 30 miles further north, skies are dark according to the websites that track such things) -- but we do get some dark skies sometimes. Last night was what I call a Milky Way night -- tho' the photo below isn't from last night :p

14741348352_94405dc897_b.jpgDSC_9751 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Amazing! No dark skies in Metro Detroit!
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    I've always been fascinated with Astronomy. In fact, growing up, I was headed toward a career in that direction. Reality set in, realizing that most astronomers are either unemployed while waiting for a government grant, or working alternative jobs.

So I decided to pursue aerospace. But still fascinated with it, I keep it as one of my hobbies. I've built many telescopes, from refracting spotting scopes made from projection screen TV lens assemblies, to Newtonian reflectors.

Edmund scientific would sell a lot of the optics kits back in the day!

My pride and joy, Celestron CPC-1100 Schmidt Cassegrain! 11" primary mirror, and GPS enabled focusing ability! I just wish I had more free time to enjoy it.

vbiu11osubbn.png

Too funny Dave. More and more things in common.
    I have an 8” DOB that serves me well out here in the suburbs.
    We’ll have to bust it out in a few weeks.
    uulafs20vt8y.jpeg
  • verb
    Options
    Very cool Joe! I always wanted to build a monster Dob! Some inspiration, as the optics are the most expensive, everything else is DIY! :)
    jx0991dsoqhk.png
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Nice Dave. You built those?
  • verb
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Nice Dave. You built those?

Naw. Just some pics from the web. Gives an idea of what it would take to build one, given the optics purchased. A man of your woodworking skills could easily make one! :)
  • joecoulson
    Options
    It’s true. The main mirrors are expensive though.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    Options
    Tonight was a cloudless and dark night with clear, cool air...

48621005203_65fae650f5_b.jpgDSC_6459 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

48621502327_13d7a86120_b.jpgDSC_6456 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

48621004898_c8b3c2c00a_b.jpgDSC_6464 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    (I was too lazy to turn off that one light in the living room :p

• verb
    Options
    Beautiful!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,686
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Tonight was a cloudless and dark night with clear, cool air...

Whaaaaat? I see the same cloud in each picture. Unless that's smoke from your chimney. :o
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Mark I don’t think you have as near as much light pollution as the majority of us. Beautiful pics