Post a picture... any picture

Comments

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited November 2019
    I use old McDonald coffee cups once or twice a week when I use Nespresso pods.

0q075cn4uced.jpeg

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I have seen one of those. Only one in my entire lifetime. Apparently they are a familiar sight in Australia and there is actually a name for them. Basically, like a "wave" in the atmosphere from one end of the sky to the other, straight as an arrow....at least in my sighting. Cool as hell!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    ^Awesome!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited November 2019
    a bit of dissimilar twin triode cheesecake for those of you (us) who are into such things* ... I was just checkin' some 6EM7s before sending 'em along to a hifi paisan/fellow traveler who is doing some restoration/repair of a recalcitrant (commercial) SET amplifier. They were so cute, I had to snap a few piccies. B)

old school:

49064549686_4f293a1ba4_h.jpgDSC_7527 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

new school:

49064549586_cebb0a5452_h.jpgDSC_7531 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

gvnf38m8o9qi.jpg

Bad pic, but this guy was seen along the deer run behind my house and the rest of the subdivision. Looks well fed! :smile:
    9bdbyv97rhuq.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    a bit of dissimilar twin triode cheesecake for those of you (us) who are into such things* ... I was just checkin' some 6EM7s before sending 'em along to a hifi paisan/fellow traveler who is doing some restoration/repair of a recalcitrant (commercial) SET amplifier. They were so cute, I had to snap a few piccies. B)

Interesting design Doc! What is the premise behind the triodes being dissimilar?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2019
    verb wrote: »

Interesting design Doc! What is the premise behind the triodes being dissimilar?

Fairly late in the tube era, competition and price constraints led to the development of multi-purpose tubes, mostly driven by a market for low-price TVs (e.g., in the vicinity of the late-1950s/early-1960s economic downturn that also saw the debut of the US 'compact' car segment). Looks like the 6EM7 dates from ca. 1961 http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/HB-3/Receiving_Tubes_Part_2/6EM7.PDF

The 6EM7 was designed for use in color or black and white TVs -- the medium-high mu, small signal triode for vertical deflection oscillator duty and the low mu power triode as the vertical deflection amplifier.

1qkwu68g7pzf.png
    From RCA manual RC-26 (1968).

Much later, folks realized that tubes like this (there were other, similar tubes like the 6DN7) were well suited for the construction of simple, inexpensive single-ended triode hifi amplifiers! :) The beauty of a tube like the 6EM7 is that only one tube is required for each channel of a fully-functional power amplifier (the high-mu triode used as voltage amp and the low mu triode used as power amp). Doc Bottlehead's epochal S*E*X (Single-Ended eXperimenter's) amp was a popular example (6DN7), sold as a kit. The current version uses a similar tube in a Compactron envelope.
    https://bottlehead.com/product/single-ended-experimenters-kit-3-0-for-headphones-sensitive-speakers/

aepo9jjatyfw.png

Here's a 6EM7 amp design, e.g.
    https://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/6EM7-SET-Amplifier/

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention: amplifiers using tubes like this, using a single tube per channel, are known as spud amps (one-tubers) :)
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2019
    meanwhile, a blast from the past courtesy of Drew A. Kaplan's sort-of eponymous enterprise ;)

qbe4e4sz0jr8.png
    https://ia800306.us.archive.org/26/items/1984-Fall-DAK-Catalog/1984-Fall-DAK-Catalog.pdf
  • verb
    Thanks Mark! Well what do ya know! I never really noticed, all googly eyed and all when I got this thing! My SEX 2.1! :smile: Sylvania 6DN7's!
    6o1q4l522xmm.png
  • verb
    Clipdat wrote: »
    20191104130341_Review_AudioQuest_Niagara_1200_Intern.jpeg

No magic dust? :smile:
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2019
    I forgot you had S*E*X! I mean... a S*E*X... umm, I mean... well, you know...

;)

Same kinda deal, is the 6DN7. The power triode section is the one with the big heat dissipation structure on it (arrow). The other triode section is kinda wussy lookin'.

nar36npprgta.png
  • verb
    I forgot you had S*E*X! I mean... a S*E*X... umm, I mean... well, you know...

;)

Yep! One triode is T-shaped (typical sylvania), the other a small rectangular cross section.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited November 2019

old school:

new school:

Many folks dislike the coin base tubes that came along. Did you ever hear a difference in sound quality with coin base as oppose to the octal base?
  • verb
    Funny Ivan I looked at that too! Again at the time I was such a tube newbie. Those are the only ones I have for this rig.

Oh Lord, I just found myself looking for some better NOS 6ND7 tubes! Help me! :smile:
  • pitdogg2
    Funny Ivan I looked at that too! Again at the time I was such a tube newbie. Those are the only ones I have for this rig.

Oh Lord, I just found myself looking for some better NOS 6ND7 tubes! Help me! :smile:

I have a few coin base 6sn7 and 6bx7 and I can state they are "unpleasant" to my ears.
  • verb
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I have a few coin base 6sn7 and 6bx7 and I can state they are "unpleasant" to my ears.

Interesting, as they look like IMO, just trying to reduce manufacturing costs as much as possible.
  • pitdogg2

Interesting, as they look like IMO, just trying to reduce manufacturing costs as much as possible.

Well sure but that little bit of plastic was not expensive... The tiny bits inside were, so I'm sure there was cost measure's there as well.
  • mhardy6647

old school:

new school:

Many folks dislike the coin base tubes that came along. Did you ever hear a difference in sound quality with coin base as oppose to the octal base?

Didn't listen to these.

Simply put, Thomas Myer (Vinyl Savior/Tube of the Month) puts the coin base tubes in perspective. There's nothing wrong with 'em compared to the 'normal' base tubes.