Should I be Responsible?

Im going to need a new motor in my car at some point in the future. Should I start saving for that now or should I buy expensive speakers first then start saving for a motor?
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Should I be Responsible? 48 votes

Be Responsible and Smart
56%
tonybF1nutvmaxerMike ReeterTony MWillowminerengtazmotorstereoaiconnhelipilotdougrooftop59KexUpstatemaxmrbironindyhawgkharp1boston1450GospelTruthClipdat 27 votes
Buy Speakers
43%
EmlynVR3Polkitup2marvda1mrlorenkevhed72BlueFoxnooshinjohnEndersShadowInspector 24jeremymarcinkochumliehochpt21ZLTFULmsgNesmith98afterburntTEAforONEverbgyosa 21 votes

Comments

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Our newest Rock Star : Josh/nightfall . . .

Live like a rockstar and get your bad a$$ speakers. Ya only live once!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Buy Speakers
    You can listen to your stereo 24/7, while a car, for most people, sits idle 99% of the time. It’s a no brainer. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Buy Speakers
    Cmon.... you know what answer your gonna get here lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    No car, no income. That's the risk.

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Be Responsible and Smart
    Nightfall wrote: »
    No car, no income. That's the risk.
    Don’t want to be a party pooper, but had to vote sensibly because of this... 😢

If it were me, I’d want to buy the speakers, but as soon as the motor started making strange noises, or acting funny, I’d end up hating the sight of the speakers every time I walked into the room.

But c’mon, don’t you have a Civic or something? How much could the motor be?!
    Alea jacta est!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited November 2019
    Buy Speakers
    If the car is needed right now to go pick up the speakers and it won’t make it without a new motor, then car first. Otherwise, speakers first always.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Be Responsible and Smart
    You have speakers. You can get more later
    Randy/Maine
  • Buy Speakers
    Take the bus. Buy the speakers.
  • Nightfall
    That is true. If it came to the worst I could throw another cheap high mile D series from a junkyard or Craigslist if I could track one down relatively quickly. To put a low mile more modern motor in that makes more than 3hp because it wasn't made to get a bajillion mpg would be costly though and that was the route I was planning.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Buy Speakers
    Of course buy the speakers! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Be Responsible and Smart
    Nesmith98 wrote: »
    Take the bus. Buy the speakers.

Great idea. Why didnt I think of that. Look kinda funny carrying speakers in a bus... Then again i haul HPM speakers on the 1450 n89enrz09h9d.jpg
    Randy/Maine
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Buy Speakers
    Do you have the option to do both?
    Buy speakers now, but as a smart buy. Hold out to get what you want used at a fair price. Then (heaven forbid) if the motor craps out before you have the cash for it you can always unload the speakers to pay for the motor and get some cheap speakers as a holdover.

But you knew which way we'd lean before anyone voted, haha.

I think we all need to know the speakers in question as well.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Vs. walking everywhere?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Be Responsible and Smart
    Sorry man but you’re young and you’ll have lots of time to buy speakers. In my life I’m all about the long game, what is going to give you a deeply fulfilling life overall. You gots to have a livelihood and a roof over your head. Those speakers will sound pretty ****-ty in a van down by the river!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Be Responsible and Smart
    fix your damn car. (In my best F1 dad voice)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Buy Speakers
    Depends how much for each
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Buy Speakers
    mrbiron wrote: »
    fix your damn car. (In my best F1 dad voice)

Lol! I opted not to buy a new starter motor for my 73 back in the day, got some new Jensen IIRC tri-axial speakers instead!

Heck it had a manual transmission, I just parked it on a slight incline! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Be Responsible and Smart
    Priorities. As much as you would like the speakers, it would appear that you need an engine. Be smart.
  • Nightfall
    edited November 2019
    Just to clarify. There's nothing wrong with my car. I have nothing but confidence in it. For now. It runs great, I just got a tank at over 60mpg on the way home. If it was losing compression that wouldn't happen.

I'm just being cautious and preemptive since saving money is slow going for me compared to most people here and I do everything in cash outright no loans. Could last another year, could last five, could last ten.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Be Responsible and Smart
    A car you need, speakers are a benefit of having a car.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    edited November 2019
    OR, and hear me out here, sell everything and live under a bridge with the Fiesols. (I think they're called). Not literally live under a bridge. I've got about $5-6k in records. Who needs those. Maybe another $1-2k in retro video game cartridges.

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Buy Speakers
    OR, and hear me out here, sell everything and live under a bridge with the Fiesols. (I think they're called). Not literally live under a bridge. I've got about $5-6k in records. Who needs those. Maybe another $1-2k in retro video game cartridges.

Honestly that is how a lot of people get into some of this gear. If sound is the only thing... it's hard to out-logic good streaming on a better system vs keeping vinyl in play.

I still like vinyl, but I think of it as it's own hobby within the hobby. NOTE* Not trying to start a vinyl vs digital discussion. Please no one jump on that. We've all heard enough, and I know people have strong opinions.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • afterburnt
    edited November 2019
    Buy Speakers
    Just to clarify. There's nothing wrong with my car. I have nothing but confidence in it. For now. It runs great, I just got a tank at over 60mpg on the way home. If it was losing compression that wouldn't happen.

I'm just being cautious and preemptive since saving money is slow going for me compared to most people here and I do everything in cash outright no loans. Could last another year, could last five, could last ten.

You lost me there, I vote NO!

I try to pay cash for as little as possible when borrowing is free or almost free. I hate Bestbuy but I use their 18/36 months same as cash so I can pay em back with deflated dollars. I got a 1% loan for my car and stretched out the payments for way longer than I needed to. Heck, I even borrowed my own money for speakers!
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Be Responsible and Smart
    I try to pay cash for as little as possible when borrowing is free or almost free...
    This is true.

If you never borrow, you will never build a credit score. If you save up for everything before you buy, not only are you earning almost no interest for that money, when you could borrow for free, or almost free with a good credit score, but you are also not building your credit history.

Then, when the day comes to get a mortgage, you won’t be eligible for the best deals. In some parts of the country (and just about every big city), a mortgage on a house in a desirable area (usually = a good school district) is probably the best, and least risky, investment you will make in your lifetime. It’s like having an additional 401(k).
    Alea jacta est!
  • afterburnt
    Buy Speakers
    FICO is 800 something
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Great idea. Why didnt I think of that. Look kinda funny carrying speakers in a bus... Then again i haul HPM speakers on the 1450

Never actually heard the 1450 reference to ones H-D. Get a big bore kit to help haul more speaks 🤣😉🤣😉🤣😉
    Ride safe!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Buy Speakers
    get russ to buy them and then store them at your house :D
    if it's rossos then I understand :'(
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Nightfall
    marvda1 wrote: »
    if it's rossos then I understand :'(

Yes, the Rosso's are etched into the back of my mind now.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Buy Speakers
    Perhaps one of the most important thing in this life, even more so than your car and maybe even your house is good credit.

Credit is like any tool, you can destroy things or build sky scrapers. Don't be afraid of it, embrace it and be responsible.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.