Should I be Responsible?

Options

Comments

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Be Responsible and Smart
    I'm wondering your age if you really need to ask this question? My guess is late teens or early 20's?? Transportation should only take a back seat to housing imo.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Dude, it's a Honda.... I've seen 500k original engine Civics on more than one occasion. Change the fluids and tune-up pieces regularly and it will only need the occasional distributor to last forever. If you need more power, throw 5 psi of boost at it. I've seen several turbo swaps on stock 200+k blocks and they're still going strong. These are D series to boot. It's all about maintenance. My only concern is the claimed 60 mpg you're getting. Even with hyper-mileing (sp), low 50s is the typical on an EF or EG DX. Make sure you aren't too lean, check your plugs on the regular, or get a wide band o2 installed pre cat. Last thing you want to do is burn a valve (not the end of the world, just very annoying).
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    I'm wondering your age if you really need to ask this question? My guess is late teens or early 20's?? Transportation should only take a back seat to housing imo.

There's nothing wrong with my car. I'm dumb but not that dumb. There are cheaper options if something went wrong with my car that I could get done without thought. It's more a matter of what I really want to do to the car vs speakers.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    edited November 2019
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Even with hyper-mileing (sp), low 50s is the typical on an EF or EG DX. Make sure you aren't too lean, check your plugs on the regular, or get a wide band o2 installed pre cat. Last thing you want to do is burn a valve (not the end of the world, just very annoying).

It's a VX. Over any other of the Civics it had aero parts, ultra light weight wheels, and a factory 'lean burn mode' that would engage if conditions are right, 5 wire wide band O2 sensor.

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,875
    Options
    Buy Speakers
    RABBITHOLE ALERT !!! I got home with the Fiesoles and it took all of a day before I called Skip wanting to upgrade to the Volterras :p
    http://rossofiorentino.com/fiesole/
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Nightfall
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    RABBITHOLE ALERT !!! I got home with the Fiesoles and it took all of a day before I called Skip wanting to upgrade to the Volterras :p
    http://rossofiorentino.com/fiesole/

Do you run a sub?

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    My initial statement stands. I would be cautious with those numbers. Lean burn is 17:1, much higher than that, and excessive exhaust temps become an issue.

Granted, I don't know how you drive or your average speed (both have a huge impact on mpg), but just to be safe, add the wide band and an EGT probe, and keep an eye on the plugs.

I guess what I'm saying is: get the speakers, and be smart about your car.
  • marvda1
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Buy Speakers
    you will not need a sub. I don't mess with them as they are near impossible to integrate correctly. what size room are you putting them in?
    mine is 12 x 15 x 8.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Be Responsible and Smart
    Nightfall wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with my car. I'm dumb but not that dumb. There are cheaper options if something went wrong with my car that I could get done without thought. It's more a matter of what I really want to do to the car vs speakers.

Well I do see the handle of "village idiot of club Polk" highlighted in red in your sig :D Apparently I misinterpreted the very first post as well as the poll.
    In that case I'll vote for getting out the plastic and go max for both expenditures
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    Buy Speakers
    BlueFox wrote: »
    You can listen to your stereo 24/7, while a car, for most people, sits idle 99% of the time. It’s a no brainer. :)

70 years experience. Listen to the man.
  • marvda1
    Options
    Buy Speakers
    are you thinking about getting the dedicated stands? they're not just plain wood.
    Puritan PSM156
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Buy Speakers
    I voted for buying speakears so long as you have the appropriate gear to drive them if not you need to come up with the bucks for that too. Trust me you will sit back enjoying you speakers saying irresponsible is, gotta do this more often.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Apparently I misinterpreted the very first post as well as the poll.

No you were right. I didn't think it through enough to add all the information in the initial post which made it seem like my car is on it's last leg or something.

• Nightfall
    Options
    Option C it is.

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,880
    Options
    Be Responsible and Smart
    Option C it is.

what is that? move in with Joey?
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    Option C it is.

what is that? move in with Joey?

Left for work an hour early to see if I could find a second job real quick, first place I walked into said yes. Option C is grind.

Joey's house sounds too bright for me. ;)

• indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    Options
    Be Responsible and Smart
    Congrats on getting a second job to support the habit.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    Now you don't have time to listen. Problem solved!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Buy Speakers
    Another good reason to get speakers is you could die, then how would you feel?
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Buy Speakers
    Furthermore you should never take responsibility, ever!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,880
    Options
    Be Responsible and Smart
    Another good reason to get speakers is you could die, then how would you feel?

might as well just get both, a new engine and new speakers
  • Nightfall
    Options

Who's not?

• Nightfall
    Options
    I just want to say, also, and no offense to Skip. It's easy to be cynical and say to yourself "Of course he's recommending the things he sells, he wants to sell them." But I now 100% trust that he wouldn't sell something he doesn't believe in. The Rosso's are the real deal. Enough to get stick in my mind so bad that I need to make it happen.

You should really go listen to them if you're near TX.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Buy Speakers

Sage advice... Taking responsibility leads to child support for kids that may not even be yours! :o
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Buy Speakers

This line made me laugh just based on the size of Texas. But yes, everyone come visit us Texans!
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Buy Speakers
    No joke, I drove across Texas and that is one heck of a drive
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Buy Speakers
    No car, no income. That's the risk.
    RePORTED!

If this is a serious Poll, I'll have to change my answer to
    Buy *extra* speakers AND headphones to wear while you're using those Lime scooter things that are littering up the place.
    I disabled signatures.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Buy Speakers
    VR3 wrote: »
    No joke, I drove across Texas and that is one heck of a drive

Ditto.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    Be Responsible and Smart
    msg wrote: »
    No car, no income. That's the risk.
    RePORTED!

If this is a serious Poll, I'll have to change my answer to
    Buy *extra* speakers AND headphones to wear while you're using those Lime scooter things that are littering up the place.

In Omaha we are at the end a six month trial period for the rental scooters. Have both Spin and Lime Co. scooters in downtown and midtown. The riders lay them all over crowded sidewalks on their sides. Someone will eventually trip over one laying on the pavement and legal action will ensue. What a nuisance. The city is also considering a street car line. What a waste too. Few people ride the buses here. Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon. :) Sorry for the slight de-rail.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    Options

This line made me laugh just based on the size of Texas. But yes, everyone come visit us Texans!

Alaska's still (much) larger -- in case any of all y'all were planning a day-trip, you know? ;)