New TOOL

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I will be 70 in two weeks. Physical media is fine if there isn’t a high-res version available. I have boxes full of CDs just taking up space. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    audio_alan wrote: »
    you can hold it.

You can hold your Tool? :o
  • Viking64 wrote: »
    you can hold it.

You can hold your Tool? :o

As often as I can. Is it just me? LOL! :D
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Nightfall wrote: »
    A solid album will build a MUCH stronger fan base than any limited release trickery scheme, imho.

Most people don't give a hoot about physical media.

True, except for the fact that most Tool fans are probably in their mid/late 40's or older, and they're probably less on the digital train than the youngsters. Physical media is a great backup, you get the artwork, the liner notes, and you can hold it. Maybe my age is showing. Ha!

I don't know about that. Tool were occupying a whole bunch of top 10 iTunes download charts. Albums and songs.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall wrote: »

I don't know about that. Tool were occupying a whole bunch of top 10 iTunes download charts. Albums and songs.

Yeah, because nobody could find the physical media! Check and mate! hahaha :p
  • audio_alan wrote: »
    I get the concept, displayname, but it could also backfire on them. I know a couple people who are ticked off by the "exclusivity" of the release. I'm less ticked and more just scratching my head about the whole thing. A solid album will build a MUCH stronger fan base than any limited release trickery scheme, imho. You're probably right though, another release will be on the way soon enough. Anyway... dead horse and all...

Bluefix - Yeah, I might end up getting the digital, but I like to have the physical and then rip it myself for my Plex library. Best of both worlds.
    I get the concept, displayname, but it could also backfire on them. I know a couple people who are ticked off by the "exclusivity" of the release. I'm less ticked and more just scratching my head about the whole thing. A solid album will build a MUCH stronger fan base than any limited release trickery scheme, imho. You're probably right though, another release will be on the way soon enough. Anyway... dead horse and all...

Bluefix - Yeah, I might end up getting the digital, but I like to have the physical and then rip it myself for my Plex library. Best of both worlds.
    I’m not saying I agree or disagree with it, just saying that’s what they’ve done previously. I would not be shocked by a regular CD version later, premium vinyl later, and standard vinyl even later. It’s not an uncommon release cycle for artists with huge following, which Tool has.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    LOVE THIS:
    58lbft9w7ite.jpeg
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Nightfall
    So now that it's been a while, how does everyone else rank this in the discography? Does anyone like it more than Lateralus or 10k Days? More than Aenima?

• halo
    I’m not really into “ranking” their stuff. Either I like it or I don’t. I like it :)
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    This is interesting. Blu-Ray and DVD-A compatible? Looks like a bootleg to me.

9e3yj2eakx44.png

On eBay of all places!

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Nightfall
    halo wrote: »
    I’m not really into “ranking” their stuff. Either I like it or I don’t. I like it :)

Fair enough.

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    1. 10000 days
    2. aenima
    3. lateralus
    4. fear In
    5. undertow
    6. opiate

Although 3 & 4 could swap
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    verb wrote: »
    This is interesting. Blu-Ray and DVD-A compatible? Looks like a bootleg to me.

9e3yj2eakx44.png

On eBay of all places!

Bootleg?
    eBAY?

I am shocked.
    Shocked.

nxbybwbg1sos.png

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I'm on the fence to be perfectly honest. I like the older albums much better and I'm really getting tired of hearing the Fear Inc. song every 12th song on the radio across multiple stations.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Apparently some stores are getting restocks. Good news for anyone that doesn't want to pay the resale prices.
    q5hvkes5cskz.jpg

@marvda1 - might be worth picking up since you couldn't rip my copy.
    Discogs
  • halo
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'm on the fence to be perfectly honest. I like the older albums much better and I'm really getting tired of hearing the Fear Inc. song every 12th song on the radio across multiple stations.

I can understand how/why you feel that way. But, Sober and Schism had a lot of air play back in the day as well. Time has been a good buffer! :)

Plus, I’m really happy for them and their much deserved and long overdue mainstream success. Just my humble opinion.
  • displayname
    I don't mind rankings, but I can't rank this one yet. It's still very new and getting a ton of play time in my house. I need to see how I feel about in a year honestly.

But I feel pretty confident that Lateralus will remain firmly planted as #1 for me.
    Discogs
  • Nightfall
    edited October 2019
    Lateralus is a masterpiece.

Fear Inoculum is kind of far down on the Tool discography rankings for me. I still love it though. It's like asking to rank a burger, pizza, and steak. They're all great but something has to come last.

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Yeah. Please don’t take my ranking as saying the bottom ones are less than stellar (except maybe opiate- not my cup of tea) because they are all fantastic. Just some speak to me more than others.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    halo wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I can understand how/why you feel that way. But, Sober and Schism had a lot of air play back in the day as well. Time has been a good buffer! :)

Plus, I’m really happy for them and their much deserved and long overdue mainstream success. Just my humble opinion.

Yes I'm very happy for them and their success 100%

I feel for me this one runs together a little more so than the earlier albums. My take is that the songs seem very similar in structure. For me I feel earlier albums had more of a harder edge. Don't get me wrong here it may just take a year or more to finally hit me and I may feel different.
    No disrespect meant I've had many albums that had not grabbed me right off the bat.
    It's why I said I'm on the fence.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    edited October 2019
    ...I noticed you can stream if for free if you have Amazon Prime.

I’m a month late, but I just saw this and downloaded it in UltraHD via Amazon Prime. Going to bed now, but will listen tomorrow.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • verb
    Apparently some stores are getting restocks. Good news for anyone that doesn't want to pay the resale prices.
    q5hvkes5cskz.jpg

@marvda1 - might be worth picking up since you couldn't rip my copy.

Only available in stores! Kinda cool, IMO, to limit the number of re-sellers out there! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • displayname
    If anyone is interested in tickets to the show in San Antonio, feel free to shoot me a PM. We had some family stuff come up, so we won't be able to make it unfortunately. They are currently listed on Ticketmaster, but I wouldn't mid bypassing some fees on both ends.

We have 4 to sell.
    Discogs
  • Nightfall
    edited November 2019
    There's bound to be a professional framer near you. There's always Michael's if you don't have a mom and pop shop. If you can afford it spring for the museum glass. It's a UV protector and it's also way less reflective than regular glass so if the sun is hitting it it's protected from fading and you can still see the poster instead of a glare.

Edit: just for reference I think I paid around $250 to get mine framed at a mom and pop shop with the museum glass and other (non acidic paper?) bells and whistles.

• halo
    Nightfall wrote: »
    There's bound to be a professional framer near you. There's always Michael's if you don't have a mom and pop shop. If you can afford it spring for the museum glass. It's a UV protector and it's also way less reflective than regular glass so if the sun is hitting it it's protected from fading and you can still see the poster instead of a glare.

Edit: just for reference I think I paid around $250 to get mine framed at a mom and pop shop with the museum glass and other (non acidic paper?) bells and whistles.

Thanks Josh!
  • verb
    If anyone is interested in tickets to the show in San Antonio, feel free to shoot me a PM. We had some family stuff come up, so we won't be able to make it unfortunately. They are currently listed on Ticketmaster, but I wouldn't mid bypassing some fees on both ends.

We have 4 to sell.

Wow too bad brother! Hope they sell!

And, my son and I are going to see Tool this Saturday in Detroit! Woo Hoo! :)
  • halo
    verb wrote: »

Wow too bad brother! Hope they sell!

And, my son and I are going to see Tool this Saturday in Detroit! Woo Hoo! :)

Ya buddy!!!

Do NOT take a camera. There is a very strict no camera policy in effect for their shows.