Possible power outage for next two days

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I hate all you bastiges equally, and Russ twice as much.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Nightfall wrote: »
    rpf65 wrote: »
    5) Aferburnt hates everybody and maybe 20 people can tolerate him. Haven’t actually seen an actual poll on this, just a guess.

I don't care what anyone says about afterburnt, dude can be pretty funny sometimes.

He's Ok in my book, ya just have to read between the lines a bit to get a grasp on what he's sayin'.

Or have a few drinks first....I find that helps, a lot. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    Government is just barely competent anywhere you go.
    This is a result of compromise. Welcome to the USA.
    The West coast is a source of a lot of new ideas, good and bad.
    Big cities anywhere are bastions of poor planning.
    And big school districts are always bad news.
    Stupid doesn't fly in smaller cities because of smaller budgets and
    more visibility. Slow change is better than fast change because you
    can monitor it. But quick changes are sexier because it gives people
    a warm and fuzzy.
    I don't hate California. But I don't want to live there. OR Dallas.
    Not too keen on Memphis a lot of days. All too big to function
    sanely.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    ....I don't hate California. But I don't want to live there...

Pretty much sums it up right there.

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited October 2019
    Deltadon wrote: »
    daddyjt wrote: »
    ....I don't hate California. But I don't want to live there...

Pretty much sums it up right there.

Here's further evidence of the mess California has created for themselves.

Start you own thread, and quit trolling this thread.

Post edited by BlueFox on
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Denial is rarely a good strategy.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited October 2019
    Stupid doesn't fly in smaller cities because of smaller budgets and more visibility..

Wow, someone has never been to a small town in Texas or Louisiana. There is reason why all the wealthy folks send their children to private schools in those places...and its not just racism or cultural Christianity lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited October 2019
    If this wasn't about California this thread wouldn't have drawn this much attention.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Yeah if it was about Burkina Faso no one would care.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Believing fake news is a stupid strategy.

Second only to watching it in the first place.
    afterburnt wrote: »

I know, right? I can't stand her either.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646

Perhaps you mean "Birkenstock Fatso"?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926

Folks in Ouagadougou would.

fye6mw0p0y5s.png
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Stupid doesn't fly in smaller cities because of smaller budgets and more visibility..

Wow, someone has never been to a small town in Texas or Louisiana. There is reason why all the wealthy folks send their children to private schools in those places...and its not just racism or cultural Christianity lol...

Most of Texas stupid in small towns involve guns and drinking.
    Yes, I'm familiar with rednecks. I was raised as one.
    They don't tap public budgets for it. Dallas could waste millions
    Just thinking about stuff. How about wasting a decade's worth of
    Public transit funding buying land that was toxic wasteland instead
    Of adding bus routes? Or a school district where people in charge
    Go to jail every year. Or use job applicant's social security numbers to
    Hire foreign workers. And then repeat it for two more years after being caught.
    Everyone in Dallas sends their kids to private school, or moved to Frisco or
    Plano.
    Anyone in mid size cities could jump in and make a difference.
    It wasn't hard to run into the mayor or a councilman.
    Note: my experience in Texas was in a town of 60,000.
    My rural experience was in Iowa. Hard to do anything there
    without everybody in town finding out about it 10 minutes
    After you did it.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    My rural experience was in Iowa. Hard to do anything there
    without everybody in town finding out about it 10 minutes
    After you did it.

So that’s why they keep chasing Russ away so quickly...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    So....a MSM story here says a garbage truck with smoldering debris that dumped on the side of a road was to blame for this fire. Any truth to this ?

If so, then this is once again human error, as idiotic as that is. Not climate change, not the power company, or any other scapegoat. I have a feeling many of the fires out there are more so from people being irresponsible than anything else.

I know we like to throw a few darts at California, myself included, and rightfully so in most cases. However, what they do right, in wanting to preserve the natural beauty of the place, shows.

Whenever I travel up the coast north of San Fran, you don't see a frickin' candy bar wrapper on the ground. If I go south, same thing....unless you hit the bigger cities like Santa Cruz.

One can say, by wanting to preserve the natural beauty of the place, and not cleaning up the forest floor a bit, then natural fires are a common thing in nature. You accept the good with the bad in nature. However, that doesn't bode well when your governing and have responsibilities to keep people safe. There's a give and take with helping nature, and people, live together. This is where the criticism of California starts with fires, as it appears they've lost that middle ground of being helpful to both nature and people. Just my opinion there, obviously exclusive of dumb people being irresponsible.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    @tonyb that may have been the "Saddlewood' fire in Calimesa. The "Saddleridge" fire is the one in L.A. They are sill investigating that one. The point of orgin is near an "So. CCal. Edison" transmition line.
  • afterburnt
    The issue here in So. Cal. Is they keep building further into areas that are supposed to burn. Pretty much the case for this whole Santa Clarita valley.
  • tonyb
    The issue here in So. Cal. Is they keep building further into areas that are supposed to burn. Pretty much the case for this whole Santa Clarita valley.

well then that works into my theory of having a "middle ground" of protecting both nature and people. If the area is suppose to burn, why build there ? we know that answer....money.

You can say the same for flood zones. If an area is suppose to flood during the rainy seasons, why do people build there then complain about floods ?

The one thing I've found out about nature, is it adjusts to sustain itself. Are people willing to do that ? Maybe not, as people seem to always want to infringe on the areas nature has a "keep out" sign on.

I guess we can also say, if your one to infringe on certain areas known for natural disasters, such as quake zones, flood zones, hurricane zones, fire hazard zones....then you accept a certain element of risks. Most times those risks are minimal, but sometimes....your fooked.

Look at Hawaii, you accept a certain risk living on an island that is basically a Volcano, right ? Then your shocked one day lava starts rolling through your living room ? Human error is one thing, but when nature does, what nature does best, how can anyone complain or be shocked ?

I guess I'm just stumped at why anyone would build houses in an area that burns naturally....and why anyone would buy those houses.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    tonyb wrote: »

well then that works into my theory of having a "middle ground" of protecting both nature and people. If the area is suppose to burn, why build there ? we know that answer....money.

You can say the same for flood zones. If an area is suppose to flood during the rainy seasons, why do people build there then complain about floods ?

The one thing I've found out about nature, is it adjusts to sustain itself. Are people willing to do that ? Maybe not, as people seem to always want to infringe on the areas nature has a "keep out" sign on.

I guess we can also say, if your one to infringe on certain areas known for natural disasters, such as quake zones, flood zones, hurricane zones, fire hazard zones....then you accept a certain element of risks. Most times those risks are minimal, but sometimes....your fooked.

Look at Hawaii, you accept a certain risk living on an island that is basically a Volcano, right ? Then your shocked one day lava starts rolling through your living room ? Human error is one thing, but when nature does, what nature does best, how can anyone complain or be shocked ?

I guess I'm just stumped at why anyone would build houses in an area that burns naturally....and why anyone would buy those houses.
    @tonyb, we have a similar problem here on LI, it's called Dune Road. While it doesn't burn, it does flood all the time and properties get damaged if the wind blows the wrong way. But it's exclusive (expensive) enough that the "haves" want to live there, even if it means repairing/rebuilding every few years. And unfortunately, all of those insurance claims are borne by everyone, not just the people who get to live there.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • ^^ * insurance claims are borne by everyone. Yeah like FL, TX, LA, NC, SC, AL, sure I forgot some.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • afterburnt
    @tonyb some of the most desirable place here are in fire zones, Malibu is kind of nice if it's not on fire. As with any disaster prone area not too many would be building in these areas if they weren't ultimately insured by the American tax payers.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2019

I am reminded of a reporterette who was beside herself with indignity after a single home was lost in Agoura Hills to a small wildfire. She decried the fact that this was a natural burn area and that this was a warning that homes should never be allowed to be built in these areas. She went as far as stating the home owners application to rebuild should be denied...

Then they sent her to cover Katrina in New Orleans..., she was mortified that tens of thousands lost their homes it would take forever to rebuild. New Orleans is twenty plus feet BELOW SEA LEVEL! It is a natural flood basin for a river that changes with the wind, and only the Herculean efforts of the Army Corps of Engineers has kept it from altering its course, which the Mississippi does every thousand years or so., and will do again, taking New Orleans out anyway.

Maybe millions of people should not be allowed to live in a flood plain? Or maybe people should be allowed to live where they want and assume the risk that comes with it.

There is danger everywhere.

• tonyb
    I hear ya John, but if people want to assume the risks that come with it.....more power to ya, rock on.

But....don't cry when nature hits you in the arse and you want to blame it on climate change or some other B.S. That's all I'm sayin'...nature does what nature does, nobodys fault.

It's just my observation, especially with California, that protecting the environment has become an extreme endeavor, that in some cases, supersedes the safety of humans. I think that's a fair statement. In other cases, nature can take a hike because they want the money, such as building homes in a area that is prone to natural fires.

Also to be fair, California isn't the only state with such ideals that contradict each other. In the end, living anywhere has certain risks, only you can access those risks to determine if they are suitable to you. Nobody can say they were blind to the risks either. Crap happens sometimes, and nowhere is that more prevalent than watching nature do it's thing.

My only wish, for you guys out on the west coast, is that for the governing bodies to do more in helping prevent fires, or at least help make them more controllable. There are things we have control over, and things we don't, how about exercising more control over the things we do. Is that too much to ask ? Sounds way more simple than it actually is though huh.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    @tonyb the governing bodies have done more in helping prevent fires, they banned fireplaces
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    PG&E executives to appear before PUC

Top executives of California's largest utility are expected at an emergency meeting Friday to answer hard questions by state regulators about a massive pre-emptive power shutdown last week that has been criticized as poorly executed and unacceptable.

“The meeting of the California Public Utilities Commission in San Francisco comes as outrage grows against Pacific Gas & Electric Co. The utility cut off power to more than 2 million people in northern and central California Oct. 9, saying that high wind forecasts could have damaged equipment and sparked wildfires.

[...]

“ ‘We ask our customers, their families and our local and state leaders to keep in mind the statistic that matters the most: there were no catastrophic wildfires,

[...]

PG&E said Monday its systems were damaged in more than 100 places — spots that could have been a potential source of ignition for a wildfire.
    Alea jacta est!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Although it will take a while, they need to better segregate the high power lines into smaller areas. This recent power shutoff demonstrated that.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited October 2019
    The public vilified PG&E for the fires and now the public is doing the same because PG&E shut off the power to prevent fires!?! Can you say catch-22?

I wouldn't be surprised if PG&E said screw it, shut it all down and said later losers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Are you ready....to have your electricity shut off....for good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MR1LBEJ-ok
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Yesterday was the 30th anniversary of Loma Prieta -- which makes me feel old.
    I was in my car in Sunnyvale when it hit. It was... interesting . Took me three hours to get home (no traffic lights working so every intersection on 237 was a four-way stop).