Looking forward to L800 but have concerns, what are your thoughts?

mpitogo
mpitogo Posts: 475
edited September 2019 in Speakers
I’ve been a Polk Audio fan for a very long time, since I couldn’t afford them as a kid reading audio magazines in a library. One issue caught my eye, Matthew Polk in a lab coat with SDA SRS as tall as him. Been into music being classically trained on piano and playing other woodwinds in band and orchestra, I wanted to get that high fidelity sound. From then on was really what gear helps get the music conveyed. Out of college my first paycheck when to a pair of Polk RT55 and many iterations later still Polk.

Here are my concerns, two mainly, I understand end of life they have to move inventory but come on $549 for the LSiM 707? And Friends and Family sales 50% off!?!? I wish they would just stop with that. So the L800 for me is not a steep price considering there are speakers in the market well beyond that for bookshelves. As a potential early adopter I want to pre-order and support Polk and support the dealer but if they start discounting, it will really hurt. So first concern is what is the point of setting the price then putting it on sale for 50% off. Second is when the units go end of sales then just end the sale with a moderate discount but don’t have a blow out. Make enough to satisfy inventory especially for the flagship. If they wanted to get LSiM 707 to everyone then set the price at $549 not $1999.

See my signature below LSiM 707, LSi25....

I’m really excited at the prospect of getting an modern SDA but upset and fearful of them cannibalizing the long term value. I see the value in the L800 but if they continue this trend then maybe I’ll just wait a year or two when they start the discounts. Heck I’ve waited this long for SDA why not a few more years so I can eek out the value of my LSiM 707 get some extended ROI.

• Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
  • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
  • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
  • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
  • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
  • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
  • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
  • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
  • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
  • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    edited September 2019
    I’d be more concerned about the wait time for a pair of L800s. They could be in short supply over the next couple of years given their size and limited dealer network.

Eventually they will be available below MSRP, but everything is eventually. Then it becomes a matter of how long someone wants to wait for product until the price is right for them to jump. I do think the rest of the Legend line will be discounted somewhat from MSRP maybe as early as next year because they are also aimed at home theater systems where customers will not want to buy a full setup without some sort of kicker. And in our market in the US people simply don’t expect to pay MSRP on most things anymore.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited September 2019
    Interesting thoughts, and concerns for sure. Here's the way I look at it.

For me, this is a hobby. One of many that I have (yeah I know), and get great satisfaction and joy from that hobby. It's a pursuit, of bigger, and better, pieces, to reach the end goal of, audiophile, uh, utopia. Will I ever get there? Probably not. Most likely not.

But that's the point, it's a journey, and my travels down that path. All good fun!

If I were to look at it as a ROI scenario, then it would really be a business. And that would take away a little bit of the fun. Yep, I'm a consumer for sure! :smile: Of course I don't want to be foolish when spending money.

Will I be one of the first adopters of the L800? Not 100% sure, but I am really excited thinking about it, dreaming about it. What to do with my other speakers? All the things we hobbyists go through when looking to upgrade.

And, part of this hobby is the ability to share with others. As many have done here, share their pieces with folks like me, at ridiculously low prices, as they move up the chain!

Will the L800's be available on the used market? Or below retail? Of course, as time goes on, the next gen SDA is developed, or the other next gotta have thing, we all know the drill!

The key for me is to have fun, pursue the dream, share with others, and spend that money! :)

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    ROI maybe not the right term more like return on enjoyment.

I have not heard the L800 but from what I am reading it could be a perfect fit. Maybe hunt for the deal is just as exciting.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    At the level of the question you're asking -- I wouldn't be at all concerned.
    If there's $6k of value in the L800s, they're worth $6k. My impression is that their is and that they are. :)

There's a different (potential) issue, which doesn't seem to be related to your concern @mpitogo -- and that is whether they'd be a good investment. A pair of Altec A5 Voice of the Theaters or a 604 Duplex driver is a good investment. A McIntosh MC-225 or a Marantz 8B is a good investment. For the foreseeable future, their value will (continue to) increase.

I would not expect that from the L800 -- or of most modern loudspeakers, for that matter.

... but I wouldn't expect to get burned by buying a pair, either.

:|
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    Most audio gear loses 40 to 50% within the first year.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    bump
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    I'll see your bump and raise you two.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    At the level of the question you're asking -- I wouldn't be at all concerned.
    If there's $6k of value in the L800s, they're worth $6k. My impression is that their is and that they are. :)

There's a different (potential) issue, which doesn't seem to be related to your concern @mpitogo -- and that is whether they'd be a good investment. A pair of Altec A5 Voice of the Theaters or a 604 Duplex driver is a good investment. A McIntosh MC-225 or a Marantz 8B is a good investment. For the foreseeable future, their value will (continue to) increase.

I would not expect that from the L800 -- or of most modern loudspeakers, for that matter.

... but I wouldn't expect to get burned by buying a pair, either.

:|

This is a tough call for me.
    A couple good subs could cost $2,000
    A pair of really nice mid sized monitors Maybe another $2,000
    Will it readily beat that theoretical combo, for another $2,000??

Hard to say, until I hear them.

Not sure the SDA part really matters to me overall.
    But will the overall sound trump a $4,000 combo as above?
  • Emlyn
    If someone was not interested in the SDA function there would be no reason to buy a pair of L800s. There is another speaker for those customers.

A pair of L600s would be a better choice for someone looking for a new pair of conventional tower speakers. At $4K those would be right in the sweet spot for comparable speaker lines from other companies. To me the L600s seem like they may be targeted as home theater speakers primarily. They would need a subwoofer or two to supplement the bass in a home theater system.

I would not use L800s with separate subwoofers in a two channel system but would in a home theater. Subwoofers would need to exceed the bass capabilities of the mains so probably something in the $1.5K each range would be needed.

Buying new speakers is expensive! And personal preference plays a big part. For that reason, getting an audition before buying is a good idea.
  • Feeling lucky...in with 69
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Worry about how much something will cost 6 or 60 months from now in this hobby is a total waste of time. I’ll probably spend the same amount on beer as a pair of the 800’s in a 5 year time frame.

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,449
    I don't look at audio as an investment. I look at it as enjoyment or entertainment.

@ $6k for a set of speakers, yes I would want to hear them first. I have yet to buy speakers I haven't had a decent listen to first.

I always thought the S60 would have been my last set of speakers, then along comes the great deal on the LSiM-705. I always loved the LSiM but never could afford them.

Now this is where this hobby becomes expensive. I've recently caught myself looking at Anthem and Parasound amps. Don't get me wrong the emotiva sounds great with the LSiM-705. Oh-well we'll have to see how this woodworking season goes.

Rock On

L
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    If I had the notion, I'd jump at the chance of owning the L800's. Building my system around them for optimal enjoyment. If that's your journey,. Follow it
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    I am still inclined to believe the 2.3TL with full mods is a better way to go, dollar for dollar. I can't wait to hear them in a proper setup. The rep from the company that will be distributing them contacted me and told me Shelly's Stereo, which is less than two miles from me, is a member of their network and could get them for me, sans demo...

Shelly's happens to be one of the reasons why SDA was discontinued to begin with, as they refused to properly set them up for demo. They were displayed on a long wall, toed in like every other speaker, and underpowered through a switching panel, while the Magnepan's had their own demo suite...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • That's the hobby... Diminishing returns.

IMHO you are better off getting a older SDA and upgrading it... If you really want that SDA sound...if not, then just stick with what you have, those LSim are great speakers.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    on the other hand, the aesthetics of the new L800 are rather more 21st Century friendly and au courant than the... umm... monolithic look of the old SDA models (some of which could've been used by Kubrick in 2001*).

B)

fdn7me6z8z1l.png
    (borrowed image from this very forum!)

14285982279_15a7d8d1a1_b.jpgSDA SRS from magazine ad by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

alkl78jey5md.png

rs7312xkjlmf.png
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Are those Magnepan Tympani....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    nah, I think they were 'stage props' -- see all of the round 'speaker cutouts' behind the grilles.
  • I look at the audio hobby like this,as others have stated, buy what makes you happy. Life is WAY to short to worry about the value 5 years down the road. If you are not taking food away from your family,go for it. Because we may not be here 5 years from now. If you can afford them,go listen to them. If you like them,buy them.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,099
    on the other hand, the aesthetics of the new L800 are rather more 21st Century friendly and au courant than the... umm... monolithic look of the old SDA models (some of which could've been used by Kubrick in 2001*).

B)

fdn7me6z8z1l.png
    (borrowed image from this very forum!)

I've owned M70's, A9's and now 707's but I gotta tell you, I have always and still do, dig the look of the old SDA's.

That's a speaker's speaker right there!

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • mhardy6647
    I've got no problem with large loudspeakers, but some of those old SDAs just have/had ...

too many drivers :|
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,099
    I've got no problem with large loudspeakers, but some of those old SDAs just have/had ...

Are you insinuating......overkill??

I must apologize, I've heard of that word but I never saw how it applied to my set up :#
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042

2B 4 Lyfe
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Emlyn
    Crutchfield now has the L800s up for reservation and the L600 on pre-order status. No definite ship dates yet...

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700L800WN/Polk-Audio-Legend-L800-Brown-Walnut.html
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Ambiguous pricing. Makes it look like $12K for a pair.

1p8ku060dgmn.png
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Emlyn
    edited October 2019
    The L800s are only sold in matched pairs for the $5998.98 total. Hopefully, the warehouse would not forget they’re supposed to send one left and one right. :)

The page notes that each speaker comes with a 15 foot SDA cable and they can be linked for a total length of 30 feet if desired.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627

The idea back then was to use several low cost drivers, and hopefully equal one much larger more expensive woofer.
    But lobing and dispersion issues were not at the top of the agenda back then nor as well thought out.

Ive had people see our "Big" sdas and ask why 8 small woofers, instead of maybe 2 10" woofers......not sure, maybe they got a better deal on bulk 6.5" woofers... :D