New Polk Audio "Legend" Speaker Series shown at 2019 Hong Kong High End Audio Video Show

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Shut up Halen....
  • I’m a rep in distribution for 18 years. All I’ve done is state the obvious in that Polk will at some point introduce a line in between Signature and Legend it’s just logic. The only “insider” thing I’ve claimed is that what has now become Legend was intended to replace both RTiA and LSiM and due to budget and cost changed some things. You are also correct that Polk wanted to streamline things to good, better, best, but I don’t think they ever thought T was there good. It was built for Best Buy to replace Pioneer on the floor. I’m from MN where Best Buy is headquartered and literally work 5 minutes from Corp headquarters, manufacturing reps come through here all the time because they visit Best Buy. Then they visit us. I’m also not saying that they are releasing a new RTiA series with SDA tech, what I am saying is I foresee them releasing a replacement to RTiA and it’s highly possible they would include SDA into this new line of speakers to further differentiate product quality and cost to that of Signature. They will not come out with a series of RTiA bookshelves at $80 more than Signature. It would more than likely start at $400-$500 a pair entry point.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Hyme2019 wrote: »
    And who is Jesse?

That is not the question... The question is who the hell are you?

That right there comes off a bit harsh... Wouldn't be surprised if @Hyme2019 has left the building. Also note: you never questioned my inside info, and I've only been here for 2 years... Just saying.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Interesting comments. And insight! Glad you decided to stick around a bit! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    That's a good start man... I used to shop at Best Buy when it was known as Sound of Music, and was there when the company was born. Being on the distribution side, it is easy to see now where you got your insight.

As a smaller forum under the Polk brand, we are like a family here, with many having been founders of the forum some 20 years ago. we tend to look out for one another, which is quite unlike many other forums on the web. Please take my rather direct approach to you as nothing more than that. We are a very friendly group here, except for some dude named Russ, but you will figure that out as you go.

Welcome to the forum... hope you will hang out with us.

… Shut UP Russ! :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    verb wrote: »
    Is is just me, or did I notice a highlighted change to Jesse's signature? :)

qbrioayrjae0.png

Jesse has been club President for a very long time. I've been here 10yrs and it was that way then.

IIRC
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    And I may add, @nooshinjohn is attempting yet again, i lost count, remedial charm school! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Well if you’re familiar with MN history and this industry you might know a little brand called Sanus. I work with one of the founding members who designed speaker stands back when they were actually built well. He’s also the one responsible for the Euro series from Sanus which was highly regarded for years. He worked for Dick Shultz many, many moons ago when it was Sound and Music, however I’m only 45 so that’s before my time. Lol
  • nooshinjohn
    My summer league hockey coach was an old hack by the name of Herb Brooks, and I skated with some punk by the name of Housley...

I worked for Magnepan for a couple summers before I joined the USMC.... Yeah, I know Minnesota well. :p

SKOL!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Anyway last thing I’ll say to bring things back full circle I for one am excited to see and hear the Legend SDA model.
  • nooshinjohn
    Anyway last thing I’ll say to bring things back full circle I for one am excited to see and hear the Legend SDA model.

Me too, and welcome to the club. I hope we will see you around.

• Nooshinjon small world, so where do you live and what do you do for work now.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Shut up Halen....

But master. I feel I am beyond cricket level and now grasshopper. Am I not deserving? Hahaha. Hi ho silver...

F!ck it I am drunk. Let this pass.

• nooshinjohn
    Woodland Hills CA, and I stay home and care for my two and a half year old son.

• Yup Magnepan and Audio Research are both MN brands I’ve been wanting to tour their facilities for a while just need to make the time to do it.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    halen wrote: »

I’m catching up. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    FestYboy wrote: »
    It makes sense when using the price point gap... There's plenty of room for something between signature and legend.

While it’s true there is a price gap between lines, I’m not sure what fits between “Signature” and “Legend” in naming convention. Signature...Definitive...Legend? Nah, that won’t work. :)

• nooshinjohn
    Emlyn wrote: »
    FestYboy wrote: »
    It makes sense when using the price point gap... There's plenty of room for something between signature and legend.

While it’s true there is a price gap between lines, I’m not sure what fits between “Signature” and “Legend” in naming convention. Signature...Definitive...Legend? Nah, that won’t work. :)

You might be on to something there... I could see Definitive being folded into the Polk family fairly easily.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Shut up Halen....

But master. I feel I am beyond cricket level and now grasshopper. Am I not deserving? Hahaha. Hi ho silver...

I'll be in Texas soon... I will show you the way of my people
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Shut up Halen....

He he .... Oh boooy🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤪🤪🤪
  • nooshinjohn

He is not interested in your exploits with sheep and goats....

• Nooshinjohn, here we go again lol just kidding, but I don’t see them combining Polk and definitive, currently in distribution it’s Polk and denon together and Marantz and def tech together. Boston is just well... no where at this point in time, but the real question is what becomes of pioneer, pioneer elite, Onkyo, and Integra if it finally gets approved and is swallowed up by sound United.
  • halen
    Too many effin responses to respond too.

That there emmer effers. Is the Polk Family. The ancient ones haven’t even responded yet. So when they do, have your decoder ring ready.
  • Signature - Reference - Legend
    Reference of course it’s tried and true lol
  • halen
    BlueFox wrote: »

I’m catching up. :)

You have two hours. Ahem. West coast you.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited September 2019
    ...Boston is just well... no where at this point in time...

They are officially gone for good. Closed their doors last summer I think? Dang shame cause they made some great speakers. Their website is still up for some reason, but Sound United officially shut them down IIRC.

Also John, DefTech and Polk both have very different styles, acoustically and visually. I imagine that they are too different to fit under one brand, without modification to either. (Not that they couldn't, it'd just look funny. :) )
  • Mlistens03 you are correct as of today Boston isn’t an active brand, but never say never. We recently picked up KLH speakers. They are actually quite good. I could easily see sound United reintroduce Boston Acoustics at some point.
  • halen
    edited September 2019
    Mlistens03 you are correct as of today Boston isn’t an active brand, but never say never. We recently picked up KLH speakers. They are actually quite good. I could easily see sound United reintroduce Boston Acoustics at some point.

Were you waiting until after the sda reveal to voice yourself? Are you a disgruntled former employee? Not sure. Your guns are blazing. Any source to verify your credibility?
  • Is that sarcasm Halen good one if it is I like your style.
  • halen
    Is that sarcasm Halen good one if it is I like your style.

Hey you. Just stoked for new Polks. Let’s keep this thread on track. Start a new one if you have something otherwise.