I ended up with 2 left SDA SRS 2.3's from craigslist, now what?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited September 2019
    I forgot to comment on this earlier. Those model/serial tags are not anything Polk ever used. Someone put them on top of the originals to cover them up.

dfseq2wyr3wy.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    If you attempt the modification, Peel and Stick Solid Color Black Wallpaper 24" by 393" (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H42X6KZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_R6jBDb1G8S8F4 might be a good solution for the baffles (there'd be enough to do both at least 3 times in case of issues.) Ideally you would apply this to a smooth gloss surface after the original material was removed (do not apply wrap to the original baffle material, it will not stick).
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited September 2019
    I'm actually wondering how long the seller was trying to find a way out of the same situation you find yourself in? The shoe analogy buy @DarqueKnight is by far the best and no matter what they will never be what they should be and you will never get the full benefits of what these speakers are capable of, trust me on that. I know at least 2 of us in this thread have fully modified versions of these very capable speakers. Sad to see it happen but you'll recoup most if not all of your money parting them out and starting over with a correct set. I feel your pain not only did I search for a set for about 8years I watched several sets slip out from within my grasp trying to buy a set of these 2.3tl's. Be patient and it will happen again. You like I may have to put in a 8 hour drive to finally land a pair.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    F1nut wrote: »
    The 2 right channel speakers were selling on eBay back in 2006. Read my first post on page one in this thread.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/37315/sda-srs-2-3-setup-question

A HA! Both probably from the same estate sale! Too bad no one knows the original post double righties is around. Ebay?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited September 2019
    John312 wrote: »
    Hey Darqueknight, thanks for your thoughts. No mention of this in the ad or when I picked them up additionally I am new and somewhat naive when it comes to Polk Audio, this is my first leap into what I thought would be a great experience.

I'm sorry to see that something that should be an exciting and very enjoyable experience has been tainted by an unscrupulous seller.

Your state's Attorney Gereral's Office should have a consumer protection division that will contact the seller on your behalf and try to mediate a resolution. I would file a consumer protection complaint, along with photographs of the speakers, and see how the seller responds. Emphasize in your complaint that the seller is not responding to you and that the speakers cannot be used as they were designed because they are supposed to come in mirror imaged left and right matched pairs.

Most people, even crooks, do not ignore correspondence from a state's attorney general's office.

I can't emphasize enough that there really is no practical, rational "fix" for this situation, other than return and refund, with the seller also refunding your transportation costs.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Most people, even crooks, do not ignore correspondence from a state's attorney general's office.

Unfortunately the states attorneys office is probably not equipped with the brightest bulbs (all the best attorneys are criminal attorneys as that's where the money is) and will quickly see they can't win without obvious and documented evidence. PO can simply claim ignorance and site "no other speaker mfg co has this weird configuration" and walk away with this unscathed. Sad but true.

Look on the bright side though. He has 2 beautiful examples of Polk Audio SDA 2.3tl left channel speakers.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr wrote: »

Unfortunately the states attorneys office is probably not equipped with the brightest bulbs (all the best attorneys are criminal attorneys as that's where the money is) and will quickly see they can't win without obvious and documented evidence.

What state's attorneys lack in brains they compensate with in brawn, as the tobacco companies found out.
    audioluvr wrote: »
    PO(S) can simply claim ignorance and site "no other speaker mfg co has this weird configuration" and walk away with this unscathed. Sad but true.

Fixed it.

I don't think so. The fact that the seller said he NEVER connected the SDA cable indicates he knew something was wrong and that he knowingly sold a mismatched set of speakers. Regardless of the speaker's "weird configuration", they are both labeled "LEFT CHANNEL" and the seller was clearly hoping to catch an unaware buyer.
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Look on the bright side though. He has 2 beautiful examples of Polk Audio SDA 2.3tl left channel speakers.

That's like saying there is a bright side to receiving two lefts of a $2000 pair of beautiful Paul Bond ostrich boots.

• Hmm, I wonder how long Ebay keeps records of their listings. Maybe the seller of those right sides from 2006 that F1 mentioned is still in their archives and can be contacted. Wouldn't hurt to contact Ebay.

You could try this link to the Wayback Machine website....
    http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.ebay.com/

It's like having half of a hundred dollar bill or a yin without the yang.
  • Find a competent cabinet maker. Have him cut two new holes on the left side, and two blank-off inserts for the right side. Swap the stereo and dimensional woofer harnesses, and enjoy them. If you want to take it further, as mentioned, Parts Express has the textured black vinyl.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Excellent ideas and thank you, I will contact ebay and also look for a decent cabinet maker. One more question, is it okay to hook them up to any amp without the interconnect cable running between the two speakers? I really want to try them out.
  • Or does it always have to be a common ground amp?
  • No problem running two left speakers without the interconnect cable.
  • on any amp? Or must I use a common ground amp? Sorry new to this and cautious
  • It is wise to be cautious and ask many questions when you are unsure.

A common ground amp is only required when the interconnect cable is in place.
    Using a non-common ground amp with the interconnect cable will cause a short circuit between the amp's channels, and possibly a fire and severe damage to the amp and speakers.
  • Awesome, thank you Nooshinjohn! What a generous offer, I will make a plan and post some photos along the way.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Excellent ideas and thank you, I will contact ebay and also look for a decent cabinet maker. One more question, is it okay to hook them up to any amp without the interconnect cable running between the two speakers? I really want to try them out.

Post pictures of your journey with these. I would like to help you in the best way I can.... if you supply the parts and the new XO circuit boards for them, I will build your cross overs for you for no charge.

Very Cool! Nice gesture John! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited September 2019
    I see that they're posted on eBay. I guess the decision has been made.

If they were mine, I guarantee that I'd bore two holes, move two drivers, move the wire harness ends as needed to get the various drivers connected to the proper signal for their location on the baffle, plug two previous holes with the same sort of material the baffle is made from (MDF?), "glue 'n' screw" some reinforcement to the patches on the baffle, and enjoy 'em. I'm sure I'd cover the wounds with paint...or "wallpaper", and I'd certainly cover them with the grilles.

Frankly, this does not even seem that difficult.

It IS a pain in the ****, it may have been deceptive marketing/fraud. I have little faith that anything will be resolved legally--but I've been wrong before. I think the best way forward is to "create" a right-side speaker from one of the lefts, and move on.
  • verb
    edited September 2019
    Yep. I was hoping to get some pics with the drivers out, to get an idea of what the internal structure looked like just to see if a cabinet mod was feasible.

Colorado Polkies - Here's your chance! We'll help you every step of the way! :)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Awesome, thank you Nooshinjohn! What a generous offer, I will make a plan and post some photos along the way.

I was hoping you would. Seems to me that would have been the best path forward, and not at all hard to accomplish. Looks as if you have chosen another path forward, and I wish you the best with that.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    That's going to be a really hard sell. They would sell faster parted out and he'd make more money.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• A shame he couldn't find the guy with 2 rights and make a deal.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • Thanks again to everyone! If I can sell them as is to someone that has more woodworking skill or money than I that would be great. I am also fishing on eBay to see if someone has a right channel so I can make a deal. Hopeful thoughts, but maybe. If I can't find a mate or a carpenter buyer, I think I will attempt the modification myself or with a cabinet maker. Just trying to sort it all out. Your feedback has helped me along the way and if I mod these I will post photos and use all the great suggestions. I appreciate all the feedback and wisdom, you guys have been great!
  • Whatever I do, it's time to slow down and do it right. The parts and bits are in excellent shape and I don't want to muck that up.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Where do you live.... plenty of local Polkies with experience may be willing to help you.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited September 2019
    Where do you live.... plenty of local Polkies with experience may be willing to help you.

In the heart of SDA country Colorado.
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    Shoot... I think I'd add two drivers to both of them and have VR3 build me some custom crossovers...

I bet they'd kick butt like that..
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    la2vegas wrote: »
    ddog wrote: »
    Shoot... I think I'd add two drivers to both of them and have VR3 build me some custom crossovers...

I bet they'd kick butt like that..

Baby 1.2TL's?

Heck yeah!