Axpona 2019 Schaumburg IL

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    That’s the album I was telling you about Drew. The song Steam Forest will exercise any system for imaging and dynamics. Fantastic album.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    erniejade wrote: »
    Thx for the pic Drew. I am not sure if it was a component mismatch or they didn't have something dialed in right. A lot of reviews i read said amazing bass and clarity from them but at Axpona, they were bright. Bass, yes 0 complaints there. Solid bass.

Now i am not saying they are bad speakers. We heard with our own ears the LSA towers sound great on a class d SS amp in Walter's room and complete garbage in another room. I am still wondering if i made a mistake passing on the show demo special of 2500 on the lsa but after we heard them in the black ice room, i couldn't pull the trigger.

Back to the Goldenear. I have no idea how much power the tube amps had he was running or of they were stock tubes. They just might be like the LSA where they sound better on SS.

@hochpt21 has the t 2's and loves them. I heard the lsim705 and.... shoot i cannot remember the model i picked up for you but from that, i have an idea of what his ears like. I cannot imagine the goldenear would sound like that in his home and he would be ok with that.

I would personally would give them another shot in a better environment and a better matched amp.

@erniejade it was the LS90's you picked up for me (and we rattled the decoration off the wall and laughed our a$$es off...)

Regarding part of your comment above...I will say that I regret selling my McCormack. The sound to me is still really good with the Rogue, but doesn't quite have the magic that the Dared and the McCormack had together with the Triton's.

That said, I do prefer a slightly brighter/forward presentation. So that may ring true to your feeling that the Triton's are bright. I have never been to an audio show, but I can see how played loudly, with music meant to showcase the different capabilities of the speaker, that the clean/forward presentation might be abrasive.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited April 2019
    joecoulson wrote: »
    That’s the album I was telling you about Drew. The song Steam Forest will exercise any system for imaging and dynamics. Fantastic album.

Just bought one! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    verb wrote: »

Just bought one! :smile:

I am curious to give this a listen as well. Purchased the CD to see if it is something I will enjoy.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,161
    Soon after getting my SDA 2B TLs approx. 6 years ago, someone on here posted about Caverna Magica being one of the best albums to hear/feel the SDA effect. Soon thereafter I found 2 used copies of that lp at my local record shop - I kept one for myself and sold the other copy in the Flea Market at cost. That music really does show off the SDA imaging and soundstage tremendously well. Highly recommended.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I just ordered 3 Andrea's Vollenweider CDs, along with Massive Attack Mezzanine. I heard these albums at the show last year and this year just cant recall which rooms they were being played in.

I'm glad you guys brought this subject up as I Should have them in the next few days. Demo material for sure cant wait to hear them on the 2.3tls. That first track off that Mezzanine album is definitely was enjoyable I think they were playing that in the KEF room.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,524
    I ordered several as well:

i0z51x4i0tld.png
  • joecoulson
    I just picked up that Andreas V record at a used shop in perfect condition for $5!

Mezzanine is awesome
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Did anyone get to hear the Orangutans sing???

this is the one speaker I could someday buy without ever hearing & after everything I've ever heard or read about them!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Clipdat
    edited April 2019
    @verb This was the Infected Mushroom song that Parasound played on the JC5 / S400 combo to close out day 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grrx2IHHIn8
  • verb
    Very cool! And yes I just ordered the CD! Thanks Drew! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    edited April 2019
    So @joecoulson I have to thank you for introducing me to Massive Attack! Hopefully the Mrs will like em! 3rd row main floor! 9/12/19 :smile:
    6th1gjb5n5gg.png
  • joecoulson
    Nice bro!! Enjoy. Been listening to them for 20+ years. Never seen them. Have fun Dave!!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Something positive that I keep thinking about from the show, is the experience I had on Friday when I walked up to the Cardas booth in the exhibit hall.

So anyone have any thoughts on whether or not I should buy those Cardas IEMs?
  • Clipdat
    edited April 2019
    DSkip wrote: »
    I kinda got in trouble with Herb Reichert. He is sleeping next door and I was a bit too loud last night. Oops.

He gave me a 10:00 curfew tonight.

Looks like they sent out a special email for Herb regarding room reservations for next year.

From Lou Mancini:

"Sound & Audio Notice

Please keep in mind that as the host hotel of the AXPONA event, this is a 24-hour audio file show & music may be played throughout late hours.

As the hotel does the best to accommodate guest requests, it is impossible for all guests to be placed on non-exhibit floors. There is a good chance you will be on an exhibiting floor where there is ongoing noise and action. If this is a problem please consider another hotel property AXPONA offers."
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    Clipdat wrote: »
    @verb This was the Infected Mushroom song that Parasound played on the JC5 / S400 combo to close out day 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grrx2IHHIn8

Definitely ate some very bad mushrooms........💩
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960
    Or not enough. Lol
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    voltz wrote: »

this is the one speaker I could someday buy without ever hearing & after everything I've ever heard or read about them!

I had to read this twice to realize you weren't talking about yet another New Age vinyl LP or maybe something from Diane Fossey's record label.

;)

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    I got a e-mail from one of the Parasound reps yesterday that they got the XL size T-shirts back in stock and they will be sending one my way. What a company, proud to own some of their gear.

I could of had multiple Emotiva shirt's as they were practically begging you to take them but never took one they were making it to easy. I will visit thier room wearing my Parasound Shirt next year. :D

Difference between a painting shirt and hang out with people shirt 😉
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I had to read this twice to realize you weren't talking about yet another New Age vinyl LP or maybe something from Diane Fossey's record label.

;)

I should have said Devore Oranutans as I heard they were at Axpona B)
    v1k16cpxvdbl.jpg
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mhardy6647
    I did realize that after but a moment's reflection.
    I'd like to hear a pair; based on everything I've read about them, I'd expect to like them.
    Too expensive for me to buy without an audition, though (FWIW). :|

• warren
    warren Posts: 756
    warren wrote: »
    Just thought I would throw this out there. I will be driving up from ATL and if anyone has a need for me to bring anything up from this area for them , PM me. Otherwise bring on the wise cracks.
    Now I’m glad we didn’t meet for lunch at Matthews Cafeteria.

Why is that Warren?

I'm to old for crass, I didn’t earn it.

Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    Just thought I would throw this out there. I will be driving up from ATL and if anyone has a need for me to bring anything up from this area for them , PM me. Otherwise bring on the wise cracks.

Why is that Warren?

I'm to old for class, I didn’t earn it.

Fixed it for you.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat

I should have said Devore Oranutans as I heard they were at Axpona B)
    v1k16cpxvdbl.jpg

@joecoulson wasn't this the room that every time we were going to walk in to check it out we gave pause because the bass sounded so unnatural and boomey?
  • joecoulson
    I was thinking that too Drew. But I think they had a different finish. Can’t remeber what they looked like at the show.
  • joecoulson

Why is that Warren?

I'm to old for crass, I didn’t earn it.

If you would care to explain exactly what you are talking about, I might be able to own up to it. As of right now you seem very much like someone acting their age
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    I had a more focused, more subdued AXPONA experience this year. I did not repeat the all-day, 3-day schedule I followed last year. This year I only attended for a few hours each day on Friday and Saturday. The rest of the time I was hanging out with friends in the area. I lived and worked in Lisle, Illinois for a while. I doubt that I will attend the 2020 AXPONA show. I will probably do a couple of the regional shows instead.

This year I focused on:

1. Sonus faber speakers.
    2. Focal speakers.
    3. PS Audio electronics and the new AN-3 speaker.
    4. Legacy speakers.
    5. Western Electric tube electronics.

1. Sonus faber

754e3o9moqyn.jpg
    Figure 1. The Aida IIs ($130,000) were, for me, the highlight of last year's show. I spent many enjoyable hours listening to them. This year, the Aidas were not set up properly. There was a high frequency harshness on most music that made them uncomfortable to listen to. I don't know if this was due to system synergy, room placement, or both. They were placed much closer to the rear wall than last year. I was glad to see/hear them driven by a pair of 1250 watt McIntosh solid state amps. The tactile sensation and bass speed and articulation that was missing last year was there in spades this year. But that hot, hot, hot top end was an ear driller. In spite of the poor setup this year, the Aida's are still my favorite conventional speaker.

hd7n13tg4umo.jpg
    Figure 2. Sonus faber Il Cremonese speakers ($45,000). These were set up with an all-McInosh system in a lobby area outside of four other listening rooms! Still, in spite of the harsh environment, the Il Cremoneses rose above the din and impressed me with their speed, articulation, tactile sensation, clarity and detail. Hopefully, I'll get to hear them one day without all the background crowd noise.

tde0d5kdliov.jpg
    Figure 3. Sonus faber Amati Tradition speakers ($29,000). This was my favorite exhibit sound quality-wise.

2. Focal

cdabr7dsymkb.jpg
    Figure 4. I finally heard the Grande Utopia EM EVO speakers ($120,000). I was underwhelmed. I kept thinking "this sounds a lot like my office rig". Beautiful speakers though.

3. PS Audio

obc7zlkyovo2.jpg
    Figure 5. An all-PS Audio system...preamp, monoblock tube power amps, DAC, and the new PS Audio AN-3 speakers ($15,000). This was my third favorite exhibit. I also had the opportunity to meet and chat with PS Audio CEO Paul McGowan and PS Audio's DAC designer Ted Smith.

q994ztrhxdq8.jpg
    Figure 6. PS Audio's new Obsidian Ted Smith Signature DAC ($20,00), to be released late 2019. They are entering dCS territory price and size-wise.

4. Legacy Audio

uqeripui3npd.jpg
    Figure 7. When my ears weren't being soothed by the sounds of Sonus faber, they were most often being soothed by the sounds of Legacy Audio. Shown here is the V speaker ($50,000).

5. Western Electric

zfxcm0l2jdav.jpg
    Figure 8. Gauder Akustik Berlina RC-7 speakers ($42,900) being driven by a prototype Western Electric 91E integrated amplifier ($9,995) with a Western Electric 203-C CD player ($6,195). Very impressive bass rendering.

umzr1rz1hj15.jpg
    Figure 9. Western Electric 91E integrated amplifier.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    I really liked the WE room as well. I didn't make it the the Legacy room this year.
  • mhardy6647
    So -- are those WE amplifiers SE 300B?