Axpona 2019 Schaumburg IL

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    vinyl's doin' OK...

fk7fn2tefqv3.png

... at least it was this past Saturday...
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,851
    one of my best rooms of the show.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dAo5y7Q5gw
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I know right Marv! That was the one room I went in and said “well they are gonna suck” and they sure didn’t. They were on point!
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,851
    $97k :#
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,287
    marvda1 wrote: »
    this is something worth taking out a 401k loan, i should know.

Yep.

And yes borrowed from another thread.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    And they utilize GRANITE bases. ;)B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    edited April 2019
    Tony M wrote: »

So much wasted potential there... should have used something like balsa wood to cut down on resonance... :p;)
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453

So much wasted potential there... should have used something like balsa wood to cut down on resonance...

You can't help but be a p r ick can you.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2019
    Who is the one resorting to calling people names... Pot, meet kettle.

Perhaps you should try cultivating a sense of humor.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    edited April 2019
    I researched the website and I was puzzled about those tubes. I was expecting some ports in the back or bottoms. I didn't see any. Carbon fiber tubes...NICE!

I remember when Kicker made those GREAT tube speakers 35 years ago and I think they still do along with Dewalt and others.

I guess there are ports AROUND each woofers' rims. Their picture looking down at them looks like they point into the tube. I don't see any vents or ports in the close-up pic I just found. See below.

I didn't read the websites' literature fully yet. Maybe in a minute I'll go back and see if there are vents/ports around the woofers.

I love radical designed tweeters and midranges. I've owned the ESS's Heils for 30 years now. :)

I thought the speakers were HUGE...but I see their size in this picture.
    1wiimtopsfcl.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • joecoulson
    Brian and I agreed that the best bang for the buck there were the Kilpsch we heard on floor 14 fantastic sound for the coin. $4k a pair I believe right Brian?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,524
    Tony, the model at the show were the larger ones. The one in that photo are the smaller model.

I spoke to them for a while and they informed me there was a port at the rear.
  • joecoulson
    tvz85ih2gial.jpeg

My guess was 6ft tall
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    edited April 2019
  • Clipdat
    edited April 2019
    The gentleman I spoke with said one of the reasons the highs sounded so good on their speakers, was because their high frequency drivers had no "breakup modes".
  • pitdogg2
    I researched the website and I was puzzled about those tubes. I was expecting some ports in the back or bottoms. I didn't see any. Carbon fiber tubes...NICE!

I remember when Kicker made those GREAT tube speakers 35 years ago and I think they still do along with Dewalt and others.

I guess there are ports AROUND each woofers' rims. Their picture looking down at them looks like they point into the tube. I don't see any vents or ports in the close-up pic I just found. See below.

I didn't read the websites' literature fully yet. Maybe in a minute I'll go back and see if there are vents/ports around the woofers.

I love radical designed tweeters and midranges. I've owned the ESS's Heils for 30 years now. :)

I thought the speakers were HUGE...but I see their size in this picture.
    1wiimtopsfcl.png

The pair at the show were MUCH MUCH larger than those.
  • joecoulson
    Agreed Skip. My first reaction, though the performance didn’t match this, was not pleasing at all. Almost gimmicky
  • nooshinjohn
    DSkip wrote: »
    I’m not sure I could ever own them based on design alone. I don’t find them offensive but I don’t like looking at them.

I don't like the look so much either, but if form and function make them superior to others at their price-point, I would not dismiss them either.

• joecoulson
    The Klipsch I was referring to:

7vps0rzqbuyj.jpeg
  • Clipdat
    I’m not sure I could ever own them based on design alone. I don’t find them offensive but I don’t like looking at them.

I love the design and the fact that they are made out of carbon fiber.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,124
    joecoulson wrote: »
    The Klipsch I was referring to:

7vps0rzqbuyj.jpeg
    Forte III seem to get a lot of praise. I haven't had a chance to hear them anywhere yet though.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Clipdat
    They look like earrings to me.

Ironic, considering they probably have the least WAF out of any speaker at the show.

Another thing that was somewhat disappointing is that they were playing a very short/strict set of songs, probably 12 or 15 total, and were not taking requests.
  • erniejade
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Brian and I agreed that the best bang for the buck there were the Kilpsch we heard on floor 14 fantastic sound for the coin. $4k a pair I believe right Brian?

I was very suprised on how well they did in those rooms. They sounded nothing like i remember. Warm, clean, powerful with a great soundstage. I Googled them and they do have some great reviews. I have only heard version 1 of them. New 4k is correct. I found some open box models for $1300 each on my search.

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Clipdat
    Brian, I really wanted to like the KLH speakers, but I just didnt care for the tweeter.

Maybe they would sound different in my own room. They did do some things very well, namely coherence. I will follow up with the gentleman who was running the room, as he suggested sending me a pair to review.
  • erniejade
    Agreed Drew. They did mid and low end good for a 1300 set of speakers but the top end got a bit harsh especially when pushed a bit.
  • pitdogg2
    edited April 2019
    erniejade wrote: »
    Agreed Drew. They did mid and low end good for a 1300 set of speakers but the top end got a bit harsh especially when pushed a bit.

Well they were only getting 2 amps of current with those el34 tubes at all of what 20 watts... I asked that is what i was doing standing in the corner with the guy in the red shirt if you remember Brian. I had him cornerd and grillin him :smile:
  • Clipdat
    Good point Ivan. Also the digital source was a Dragonfly DAC. Not exactly the best.

It's certainly possible they would be a completely different listen with some other gear behind them.
  • pitdogg2
    They were built like a brick out house and I've heard a lot worse at that price point and above. Would I buy them not likely but yes i was impressed a bit.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Who is the one resorting to calling people names... Pot, meet kettle.

Perhaps you should try cultivating a sense of humor.

You are a pric k. I have no problem calling you out as one. When you run your mouth like you do I'm going to call you out for what you are. If that makes me one as well than I'm cool with that. I've never had anyone on here calling me out like this. You earned it, own it.